Had My car on the Dyno - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2005, 02:41   #1 (permalink)

Had My car on the Dyno

Took my car to have it Dyno tune the other day and the guy was a complete WOMBAT

This is what he said it had : at 5500rpm he got it up to 110kmph put it up to 66.3% load and it had 280hp at the wheels and 681ftlbs of torque,and the guy wouldnt run it through the rev range . He recons this is how you Dyno a car. All I wanted was to get it to full power to see what it had.Is he a wanker or what?????

Would love to hear your thoughts on this and what you think it should have!!!

P.S On the way home I blew the head gasket. Go figure.....next day all sweet fixed the problem and am back on the prowl....
clevo donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2005, 03:15   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Had My car on the Dyno

That isn't how it's done. Time for a try on another dyno.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:18   #3 (permalink)

I know its time to try a new dyno Brenx but what do think, there has to be at least another 60-80 hp in it considering I had it on another dyno and it had 304 @ 5800 and broke the straps and it was running seriously rich. The cam starts working at 4500rpm and the converter is a 5000 denominator. What are your thoughts..... :
Old 07-14-2005, 04:37   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Thats a big convertor for something thats shown just over 300rwhp. What are the engine specs? I don't know of any engines that run a 5000rpm stall that output any less than 280-300rwkw. In short, I'd have to agree there is a minimum 60+ rwhp still to be sorted.
Old 07-14-2005, 23:56   #5 (permalink)

I'm a bit suss about the 681 ft/lbs of torque! Thats HUGE......WRT to 300rwhp. 680ft/lbs converts to a car putting out over 700hp!!

The dyno will produce a TRACTIVE EFFORT number in just FEET or NEWTONS. To get torque the guy needs to enter diff and tyre size. Sounds like he porked that too by putting in some wrong info.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:10   #6 (permalink)

Engine specs
clevo 351 , 302 rods , ross pistons , 4V heads , 650+ roller cams (solid) 260+ duration , twin 650s on a tunnel ram.

He showed me a few other Dyno figures and I had more torque than a big block Chev. It was climbing right on top of the roller even with 2 people sitting in the back and that 280hp at the wheels was at Ramp load of 66%.

Man Im sure this car has a hell of a lot more in it yet....
Old 07-15-2005, 03:13   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevo donk
Engine specs
clevo 351 , 302 rods , ross pistons , 4V heads , 650+ roller cams (solid) 260+ duration , twin 650s on a tunnel ram.

He showed me a few other Dyno figures and I had more torque than a big block Chev. It was climbing right on top of the roller even with 2 people sitting in the back and that 280hp at the wheels was at Ramp load of 66%.

Man Im sure this car has a hell of a lot more in it yet....
Yeah, a warm hydraulic cam and single 650 holley would give you 280 at the treads!

I note that at 5500rpm you're doing 110km/h. He's obviously doing the dyno runs in a gear other than your 1:1 final drive. It should be in 3rd auto or 4th manual.

With your tunnel rammed, roller cammed 4V's and 260 cam it would want to spin to 8000rpm!! And it should put out 400+rwhp when tuned OK.

When you dyno your car you need to pump the tyres up to about 50psi so they sit hard on the rollers and don't jump off. Did he do this??

Go somewhere else for the dyno........I'm keen to see what she's got

What city do you live in? Someone here could give you a good recommendation.
Old 07-15-2005, 16:39   #8 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I think I know what your car was doing I reckon it was spinning the wheels on the rollers. I've done that before at a fordforum.au dyno day. It was quite funny but I didn't enjoy cleaning the rubber off the guards.
Old 07-15-2005, 17:43   #9 (permalink)

isnt there 2 ways of dynoing a car? I thought u could measure bhp using a retarder on a dyno or u could measure in shootout mode where figures cant be manipulated but it's only a peak hp figure. any1 else heard of this. im a diesel mechanic so i work wif hp figures most of the day but all we're intrested in is bhp under load for obvious reasons.
ziggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 23:06   #10 (permalink)
Buff XC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
I think I know what your car was doing I reckon it was spinning the wheels on the rollers. I've done that before at a fordforum.au dyno day. It was quite funny but I didn't enjoy cleaning the rubber off the guards.
Get them to spray WD40 on the tyres, it makes the tyres grip up and often gives a better figure on the dyno sheet when your making serious power or running low profile tyres.
XC Falcon Sedan, monza red/jet black, 351C, twin 2.25" zorst, T5 V8-spec with CRS bell-housing, AU thermofans, 3.23 LSD diff, dual fuel, rally-pack spec, black/red interior, cruise control, sports seats, 17x8 ROH Drift-R's.
164rwkw - 15.3 @ 92.5
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech