Head Work - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2005, 16:48   #1 (permalink)

Head Work

Has anyone ported their own set of heads? how is it done? what is the best way to make them identicle?
i have 3 or 4 sets (open and closed chamber) in the shed i thinking of trying it with a set.
old falcon fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2005, 19:36   #2 (permalink)

Re: Head Work

I have ported several sets of heads, mainly clevo stuff so i have a fair bit of experience in doing this.Firstly you will need to tool up.Let me say right now that unless you intend to do more than one set of heads its not worth the expenditure on such tools.I have the following setup.
Twin cyl compressor around 15 cfm
Shinano high speed die grinder.Air operated.
Milwaulkee electric high speed die grinder
Various tungsten carbide burrs.
This will get you up and running.I would imagine that there is around 1000 to 1500 bucks worth of equipment just here.don,t bother with smaller compressors as they will be going flat out trying to keep up with any pneumatic tool as they displace a lot of air.The reason i have two grinders is simple .Initial grinding or roughing out is done with the electric tool as it has a bunch of torque and with the right burr can chew thru cast iron relatively quilckly.Finishing work with the Shinano grinder is my choice as it is much smaller in size and can be used with greater finesse.Burrs cost aound 40 to 50 bucks a shot.
As far as giving a tutorial on porting heads, well i could not possibly do that in one sitting and i am certainly not proffessing to be a guru at all.Firstly ascertain what you want or expect your motor to deliver.Do you want 500 + hp with 2v,s or will a 350 hp version do the job?.Ideally you want to build the engine to suit your heads as they will dictate the hp available more than any other factor.Obviously the more you ask out of your motor the better the heads will need to be.A 500 hp motor is going to need a better set of heads than one that produces 300hp.
As far as making them identical,cnc porting is an exact process used to duplicate port shapes exactly.Something which even the best hand porters would have difficulty in doing.
The most difficult aspect of porting is that unless you have to equipment to verify gains in cfm then most of us are better off buying a set of alloys(chi or Afd) and simply bolting them on .You simply can,t see airflow and the reality is unless you have the experience or the determination to learn about a particular set of heads and what it responds to in regards to porting then most of us are better off paying someone else to do them as you can easily end up with a pair of heads that are shite.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 21:55   #3 (permalink)

i was going to take them to work and use their stuff. we have all that there except an electric die grinder
old falcon fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 00:22   #4 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by old falcon fan
i was going to take them to work and use their stuff. we have all that there except an electric die grinder
Planning on spending at lot of extra time at work? You would need to allocate at least 16 hrs per head. Unless you have seen a Clevo head cut in half you (and I ) wouldn't know how much metal to take out from where. Its easy to hit a water jacket in these things.
When you have finished, a trip to a flow bench would be needed to check flow rates are at least similiar for each port.

By the time you get to your last set of heads you might be getting good at it!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech