Which Head Would You Pick? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2006, 00:40   #1 (permalink)

Which Head Would You Pick?

For a strong 331 (solid roller):
  1. CHI 185 3V
  2. CHI 218 3V
  3. AFD 205 2V
  4. Trick Flow Track Heat 205cc CNC
  5. AFR 205cc CNC
Which would you pick and why? Reasons could be about flow, combustion, price, available manifolds, etc. Engine would power peak 6500-6800, but still be drivable from 2000-5000.

Thanks,

David
DavidNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2006, 01:08   #2 (permalink)

Re: Which Head Would You Pick?

I would go the 185cc head. It has the smallest cross sectional area and should provide the best torque in your stated rev range. I would match it with the CHI manifold.

Why do you want a solid roller if your not racing?
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:28   #3 (permalink)

Why do you feel the 185 woud provide more torque?

Solid rollers are planned because hydraulic rollers have extremely lazy major intensities (50-60°), and require very soft springs and light valvetrains even to make it to 7000. Frequently they have lifter induced losses even there.

Additionally, on road courses the solid lifter will handle more rpm before float on missed downshifts. For drag racing it allows shifts at 7500-8000 rpm.

Prior to emissions laws, all serious performance engines--Boss 302, Boss 429, L-88, Z-28--had solid lifters.
Old 03-18-2006, 16:44   #4 (permalink)

I agree on the CHI 185 for a 331ci, but if you wanted to ring more out of it, possible the larger AFD 2V with 205cc inlet runners. I don't know much about the windsor heads you listed.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 17:04   #5 (permalink)

don't go solid roller on the street it's too much hassle as I'm finding out now flat tappet cam is the way to go .
7HEAVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 20:26   #6 (permalink)

Why do you think a solid roller is a hassle? Flat tappets require break in, and have significant lifter issues with aggressive cams (they run on their edge). Hydraulic cams impose significant design restrictions above 6000rpm (light springs, low mass), where most of the good head/intake combinations will come alive on a 331.
Old 03-18-2006, 23:02   #7 (permalink)

Your forever doing lash and you have to keep an eye on the lifter's my cleveland is only 2000km's old and already one of the roller lifter's have failed and taken out a lobe on the cam it's an expensive exercise .
Old 03-18-2006, 23:29   #8 (permalink)

One of the big wear points on solid rollers is the hammering on and off the spring. You need to use a high end roller--Crower, Isky, Crane--and its best to use a rev kit to keep the roller on the cam. Otherwise you will hammer the needle bearings flat and to failure.

With shaft rockers lash isn't so bad. With a high strung motor, you should be looking at it frequently. Lash, valve spring pressure, and leak down.

An alternative is to use Schubeck Roller-X lifters. They don't use axles or needle bearings.

What brand failed?
Old 03-19-2006, 00:28   #9 (permalink)

they were crower lifters and this time round I've gone for a cam with alittle less lift I think anything over 600 gives them a work out the cam that I've pulled out was about 700 lift .
Old 03-19-2006, 07:24   #10 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7HEAVN
they were crower lifters and this time round I've gone for a cam with alittle less lift I think anything over 600 gives them a work out the cam that I've pulled out was about 700 lift .
.700" lift on a street engine? I don't recommend anything over about .580" lift on a street engine when properly matched. Let's say that you did 1000Kms before it failed, since you didn't mention how far it went before the failure.

That 1000Kms is like doing 2485.484772727 quarter mile passes, not counting idle time sitting at stop lights or in traffic. I'd say that you got lucky that they lasted as long as they did!

:davis:
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech