heads are off,any tips... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2005, 04:33   #1 (permalink)

heads are off,any tips...

got the heads off my 351,havent played with a v8 pushrod engine for many years, anything to remember when stickin them back on.
prefered gasket brands inlet.exhaust,especailly head gasket?
might change the stock manifold while its all off, your opinion on good street only inlet manifold,(2v heads,look untouched but recently rebuilt)
any thing i can do while they are off, not got alot to spend on them at the moment.
anything to check while they're off, etc

if you can answer any of these it'd be much appreciated.
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2005, 05:49   #2 (permalink)

Re: heads are off,any tips...

1. Don't bust your back when your putting the heavy buggers back on!!

Felpro make good gaskits.

The stock manifolds are OK for "street only" setups. You won't pick up much with an Eldelbrock performer....but they are half the weight. A Weiand accelerator is a good 2V manifold.....even for a warm 351. You running auto or manual? May not be suited too well for unworked motor with auto. Ebay or ebaymotors is normally the place to pick up a cheap good cond 2nd hand manifold. You in the US or Oz?

Can you tell us a little more about your setup? Cam, transmission, stall, carby, diff gears.

You may have mixed all your lifters and pushrods up, but it's good to return them all to their original locations.....thats the way they have run-in on the cam etc.

There aren't really any traps to fall into when assembling.

Inlet manifold gaskits with a bead of silicon around the inlet holes prevents oil eventually getting sucked up.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:41   #3 (permalink)

yes god they're heavy suckers and that manifold too,
kept all gear in order, knew that much,im in perth aus.engine is about 3000km old, cam is mild,everything looks pretty stock but new,running c4 auto rebuilt less than 500km,stock stall diff gears.600 holley vac sec, i was kinda just thinking if i can pick up a manifold second hand i'll save that weight. but looking for something that will respond when get around to some other work. yes was gonna go with felpro.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:03   #4 (permalink)

went with the x-cellerator as it seemed more suitable for further upgrades.been tidying up the engine bay while the head gear is off and getting heads checked tomorrow,look good to me but wouldnt know. then its all back together.got felpro gasket kit and ARP head bolts as the old ones a bit rounded and dodgey looking, so i'll be posting back if i run into trouble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech