Headwork Decisions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2004, 13:56   #1 (permalink)

Headwork Decisions

Gentlemen, I in the process of reconditioning my 2V closed chamber heads for my engine rebuild. What to do? Iíve spoken to many head machining shop all telling me different stories. I am polishing the chamber and mild porting myself; I also intend to cc the heads hopefully to obtain a CR of 11: 1 or a little less. I will have new valves and springs fitted etc. As I will be using an F238 cam, roller rockers etcÖ Questions, bronze guides or leave the cast? Standard valve stem seals or teflon? Multi groove collet valves or single groove? With hardened exhaust valves are hardened inserts necessary or PULP, lm told they donít worry about it in the US? I would appreciate any comments.
northiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2004, 20:15   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Headwork Decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by northiam
Gentlemen, I in the process of reconditioning my 2V closed chamber heads for my engine rebuild. What to do? Iíve spoken to many head machining shop all telling me different stories. I am polishing the chamber and mild porting myself; I also intend to cc the heads hopefully to obtain a CR of 11: 1 or a little less. I will have new valves and springs fitted etc. As I will be using an F238 cam, roller rockers etcÖ Questions, bronze guides or leave the cast? Standard valve stem seals or teflon? Multi groove collet valves or single groove? With hardened exhaust valves are hardened inserts necessary or PULP, lm told they donít worry about it in the US? I would appreciate any comments.
Go the bronze guides and hardened seats. Clevelands tend to recess the valve. Especially on unleaded.

Teflon guide seals provided better oil protection than standard seals. You'd probably find with standard seals the retainer may come into contact with them during operation. It's not an issue with the teflons.

Stainless steel single groove one piece valves are definately a step in the right direction. Multigroove valves tend to be 2 piece and have a tendancy to shear the head of the valve off causing $$$$ of damage.

Brenden
Old 05-15-2004, 23:46   #3 (permalink)

The springs you may have to run will be double with dampner.If this is the case, you will need the spring seats machined so the inner spring can seat properly on the head. In doing this, you will also have to get the boss for the seals machined so the inner spring goes over it. You will then have to go either teflon, or another smaller rubber press on seal. I had AFD alloys, and they run a black neoprene looking seal.(A bit like EA six cylinder ones). Make sure they set up the correct spring pressures. Also, are you going to deck your block. If you dont, you wont make 11:1. With a standard deck height and 302c heads and flatops, you will have around 10.2 or 10.4:1. Dion.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:51   #4 (permalink)

Here's some cheap "but good" Ferrea stainless single groove valves from the US. You can get standard 2V or 4V size. Not bad for AUS$250 a set (including postage). Will save you ~$150-200 getting similar here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...477765456&rd=1

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech