Help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2005, 15:39   #1 (permalink)

Help

Have built a 408 stroker with CHI alloyheads and was suffering oil pressure problems. Had 75 psi when cold dropping to 30/35 when hot (mechanical guage). Everything in the motor was brand new. I gave the motor some rpms in 2nd gear (5000) during the first 200 miles and the oil pressure dropped to zero and then the lifters started ticking and i cut the motor assuming sheared oil pump drive. Have now pulled the motor and discovered there has been contamination and all the bearings are scored and some copper showing, crank is scored too but the oil pump was still being driven and should therefore produce oil pressure....but there is none. I cannot see anything obvious so any ideas would help.
Fred.
mossfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2005, 16:24   #2 (permalink)

Re: Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossfred
Have built a 408 stroker with CHI alloyheads and was suffering oil pressure problems. Had 75 psi when cold dropping to 30/35 when hot (mechanical guage). Everything in the motor was brand new. I gave the motor some rpms in 2nd gear (5000) during the first 200 miles and the oil pressure dropped to zero and then the lifters started ticking and i cut the motor assuming sheared oil pump drive. Have now pulled the motor and discovered there has been contamination and all the bearings are scored and some copper showing, crank is scored too but the oil pump was still being driven and should therefore produce oil pressure....but there is none. I cannot see anything obvious so any ideas would help.
Fred.
Mid last year i built a new 351 with solid cam and it wiped the cam on runin. The fine metal damaged all the bearings, bore, crank and oilpump. My new motor is good, but only has 10-15 pounds at idle hot and 45-50 pounds at full revs(no oil restrictors). What sort of contamination is in the oil?
Old 05-04-2005, 21:01   #3 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

5000 rpm in 2nd after only 200 miles is a bit savage!

I presume you were still using your running-in oil?

Foreign matter in the oil system could have stopped the oil pump from achieving pressure and starved the top of the motor.

The pressure relief valve may be faulty or stuck open causing the oil system to bleed to death.

Are you sure that the machinist did the correct clearances?
Rhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 22:25   #4 (permalink)
Boost Is for Pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett
The pressure relief valve may be faulty or stuck open causing the oil system to bleed to death.

Are you sure that the machinist did the correct clearances?
Thats what Caused Nick's (GreenMachine) new motor to spin a bearing.... Was a band new mellings pump too
GammaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 00:34   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
Mid last year i built a new 351 with solid cam and it wiped the cam on runin. The fine metal damaged all the bearings, bore, crank and oilpump. My new motor is good, but only has 10-15 pounds at idle hot and 45-50 pounds at full revs(no oil restrictors). What sort of contamination is in the oil?
It looks to me like poor pre- assembly cleaning is responsible for the bearing damage and that would account for poor oil pressure but i have 0 psi!
Old 05-05-2005, 02:35   #6 (permalink)

Thats not good news. It won't take long for the engine to destroy itself with no oil pressure.

I've been meaning to get a BIG red oil warning light on the dash so I can instantly kill the engine if something goes wrong.

xdclevo..........did you ever find the cause of wiping out your cam lobes?
Old 05-05-2005, 04:14   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
xdclevo..........did you ever find the cause of wiping out your cam lobes?
No, its still a mystery. I still blame either the cam or lifters(more the lifters)
I do know 45 pounds oilpressure is enough even at 7000 revs. No problems yet with many, many trips to 6800 rpm. Cross fingers.
I thought it may have let go by now so i can stroke it
Old 05-05-2005, 05:01   #8 (permalink)
1XD 351

well from what you've told us there is two ways that the engine could have lost oil pressure, first you 're oil pump could have let go then the bearings were wrecked due to lack of oil ,
or either bearings wore out, causing excess clearance and would also lose oil pressure .
were all the clearences correct and was the engine cleaned out correctly ofter machining these could both cause ur engine to wear out bearing to soon.
all ford day top 10 . 2005 was a good year for the old girl
Lee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:28   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee81
well from what you've told us there is two ways that the engine could have lost oil pressure, first you 're oil pump could have let go then the bearings were wrecked due to lack of oil ,
or either bearings wore out, causing excess clearance and would also lose oil pressure .
were all the clearences correct and was the engine cleaned out correctly ofter machining these could both cause ur engine to wear out bearing to soon.
Poor assembly was the cause of the bearing problems for sure, but the oil pressure died suddenly for no apparent reason so consequently i assumed that the oil pump drive had sheared due to pump seizing but i was shocked to see everything intact upon initial inspection. I was very quick to kill the motor just as the lifters started to bleed down.The oil pump gears are marked but i would have thought it should still produce some oil press?
Old 05-05-2005, 19:07   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee81
Nice XD there Lee81..........like it rolled off the factory line! I had a good look over it when it was at Mindarie Custom Exhaust.......just after getting my Pacey's on. Henry Ford would be impressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech