help fitting a/market manifold - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2005, 16:21   #1 (permalink)

help fitting a/market manifold

hey guys sorry pretty easy stuff but my first cleveland, have the stock manifold off and replacing with a weiand xccellerator, now the stocky had a tin gasket pan thing under it,it was in not so great shape, do i need to use this when i put the new manifold on? or does the new one just fit up to the heads and block with gaskets. bit confused as to whether i refit this as if so i think i need a new one.
thanks
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2005, 16:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: help fitting a/market manifold

also in the centre 2 bolts RHS there is a opening,think it flows exhaust from one side to other, do i just make up a lid for this to keep it in or does it require something else
Old 11-18-2005, 16:41   #3 (permalink)
old B - new B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang70
also in the centre 2 bolts RHS there is a opening,think it flows exhaust from one side to other, do i just make up a lid for this to keep it in or does it require something else
just block it off with a plate.
its for the polution gear on later models
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 16:46   #4 (permalink)
old B - new B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang70
hey guys sorry pretty easy stuff but my first cleveland, have the stock manifold off and replacing with a weiand xccellerator, now the stocky had a tin gasket pan thing under it,it was in not so great shape, do i need to use this when i put the new manifold on? or does the new one just fit up to the heads and block with gaskets. bit confused as to whether i refit this as if so i think i need a new one.
thanks
dont think that the tin plate is that expencive ( used to be about $25 , but its years since i had to buy one )

you will proberly get a lot of mixed opinions on whether you should use one or not.( i always fit one )

i believe the main purpose of it is to keep the hot oil off the bottom of the manifold. kind of a heat shield.
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 17:05   #5 (permalink)

ok thanks heaps,yes i just blocked it off with aluminium plate. was told $70 bucks for the tin plate and kinda screached at that, but maybe i was getting ripped..just dropped manifold into place and it needs something to fill the gap in there so i think i'll track one down
scott
Old 11-18-2005, 17:08   #6 (permalink)

[blocked the hole off with aluminium plate that is
Old 11-18-2005, 17:17   #7 (permalink)

Yeah, the home made aluminium plate works a treat.

As for the valley oil pan.......some fit them, some don't. I never have, mainly because I've never had one in my motors. As mentioned they keep the hot oil off the bottom of the inlet manifold which keeps it cooler. This allows a cooler, denser charge of air and fuel going into your cylinders....which = more power. That's the principle anyway, as to whether it makes a real performance/economy change, I think you'd be splitting hairs.

If I had to spend $70 on a new one.......I'd be getting cheese burgers instead :hy;
Old 11-18-2005, 23:42   #8 (permalink)
Death by Ford

Fel Pro do the Intake kit with the pan + gaskets + glue. I bought 1 for a 2V cleveland, it cost about $38.00.
CLEVELAND JUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 19:38   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEVELAND JUNKY
Fel Pro do the Intake kit with the pan + gaskets + glue. I bought 1 for a 2V cleveland, it cost about $38.00.
cool thanks that sounds better,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech