Help making my 302 a decent ride. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2004, 03:38   #1 (permalink)
Red army P.O.W.

frown Help making my 302 a decent ride.

I have a 302 cleaveland with 2V gas heads, all stock with a C4 3-speed auto. I have a lot of friends who all think Holdens are the Shite because they drive injected 3800 V6 VN's. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make a shot at Ford supreamacy in my area?

I currently have the inlet manifold half off because I removed my 2 barrel and I'm replacing it with a Carter Thermoquad. That's going on as soon as I can get it rebuilt. It's an off-set inlet (the non-square two bigs two smalls).

I have a set of (what I think are) 2 or 2 1/4" extractors that need mounting and attaching to the pipe work.

Anyone with any ideas PLEASE help me. I'm sick off all my mates dissing my ride cause it's different from what they all drive.

I know Ford's are the best, I just need to prove it to everyone else.
Pb.foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2004, 04:31   #2 (permalink)
Red army P.O.W.

Re: Help making my 302 a decent ride.

P.S. I'm also trying to show a lot of rice rocketeers that V8's hold their own as well.

Conclusion: Fords are better than Holdens CAUSE I SAY SO!!!
Old 02-05-2004, 05:33   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Mild cam,valve springs 4 barrel inlet and carb, extractors you'll go well..You have sbread bore..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 05:48   #4 (permalink)
Red army P.O.W.

What type of specs. would I be looking at for a mild cam?

What's a good brand name I should look out for as far as the springs go?

What benefits would I get from installing r/rockers?

Thanks ebxr for the lingo fix up :)

Old 02-05-2004, 16:01   #5 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Cam wise - I recommend Cranecams, crow, sig erson, competition, etc. A mild street, torquey cam would be ample to put those dudes in their place. Crane double spring wouldnt go astray, also a 3 angle valve grind and if you can afford it, a decent stall converter for your c4 to match with the cam specs.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 18:59   #6 (permalink)
Slurry Boostin

I agree with ZHFairlaneV8 on the 351 Crank point. Easiest bang for buck.

A mid-range kind of cam, say around .540, .540" lift. some reasonable springs. no need at all for double springs. Heavy duty singles with a dampner.

'Performance Springs' are a cheap Australian alternative to the other pricey brands, yet still work fine. Try Vic Speed Pro in dandy.

At the stage you are at, no real benefit from rollers.

definetly fit your extractors, they will be help heaps.

If it isn't already electronic ignition, grab one.

if you can afford it, fit an aftermarket inlet manifold.

As for carby selection, there are too many threads on here debating which carb to use. There is nothing wrong with Thermoquads. Too many people are quick to jump on the wagon and say "thermoquads are shite". The experiences I've had with thermoquads have been excellent. But I can see the arguement of having no-one know what they are doing with them. There are plenty of people on here that can/have set thermoquads up succesfully. But Holley's and Quadrajets can also be well setup on a clevo. My preference for high HP being Holley. My preference for mild HP/economy/driveability being either Thermoquad or Quadrajet.

After that if the $$ permit, maybe a shift kit/stall and some nice diff gears :)

In no time you'll be munching ricers =D
VS 215i Senator *For Sale*
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 08:28   #7 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Cam wise - I recommend Cranecams, crow, sig erson, competition, etc. A mild street, torquey cam would be ample to put those dudes in their place. Crane double spring wouldnt go astray, also a 3 angle valve grind and if you can afford it, a decent stall converter for your c4 to match with the cam specs.
no, no, no you do not need a "name" brand cam unless you just want to get the sticker for the back window and tell everyone what you've got. you can get a cam, lifter and spring set for around the same price as a "name" camshaft. my tiny bit of advice to you is the same as TTNOS8, low lift and keep the duration on the int-exh the same when using 2v heads and definatly electronic if using pulp.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 15:15   #8 (permalink)

Hey people, New to these forums...

Judging by the advice you are giving to thise dude... (I also have a 302 clev.) I should throw in a mild cam and some springs, maybe 351 crank and rods?

I have to replace the timing chain as well, so all the parts I need to get are 351 crank, rods, cam and springs and I'll be right?
Old 02-06-2004, 17:16   #9 (permalink)
Mr Slippery

[QUOTE=MakoZH]Hey people, New to these forums...

Judging by the advice you are giving to thise dude... (I also have a 302 clev.) I should throw in a mild cam and some springs, maybe 351 crank and rods?
QUOTE]

im gona be the party pooper here and mention that its not simply a matter of throwing in a 351 crank and rods, once you decide go go 351 it is gona be a full rebuld not a half day job to just trow em in.
Old 02-07-2004, 00:06   #10 (permalink)
Red army P.O.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreToaster
im gona be the party pooper here and mention that its not simply a matter of throwing in a 351 crank and rods, once you decide go go 351 it is gona be a full rebuld not a half day job to just trow em in.
I completly understand this. I actually have 2 302C's One is in a car waiting for it's carby, the other is in pieces waiting to be turned into one mean mother f@#ker. I was mainly after tips on how to jazz up the one that is running, but as far as the camshaft and new springs go I'll probably wait until I'm rebuliding the other one.

A little off topic, is there any way to convert my 302C to complete computer controlled ignition? I'm in the process of designing my own PC operated management system, but I'm unaware of any way to high tech an engine this old to that kind of level. I know if would probably be possible on say a GM 3800 red engine because it has a million sensors in it. The most important of all being the camshaft sensor.

Any ideas on whether or not this can be done?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech