HELP - threaded sprak plug hole - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2004, 16:04   #1 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

HELP - threaded spark plug hole

Changed the plugs on my Clevo last night... all but one.

Pulled out the second from front spark plug on the left bank, and it was very difficult to remove. Backed back a bit, then took it out. Looked like a spark plug, only in need of replacement - threads were fine on the plug.

Took my new one, inserted, turned... stuck fast. Pulled it out and the thread was a little... well, not cross-threaded, but the first "turn" in the thread was now absent. Tried again - just kept going around and around and around... it's now in there finger tight on about 1.5 threads after much swearing and a lot of knuckle damage.

So, I know that the threads are stripped on the block. That's the annoying part that I can live with for now. Question is, with the spark plug only a little "in", the car seems to run OK but I'm worried about long-term damage. After all, it's only creating a spark, right? Does it really matter that the spark is happening an extra 5mm up the tube? It'll still "bang", right?

:(
Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2004, 17:37   #2 (permalink)
5.8 litre

Re: HELP - threaded sprak plug hole

The plug needs to be seated against the block to seal the compression in the cylinder. Some of the mobile mechanical people have a tool that will clean up the sparkplug thread. Or you could buy a tap and do it yourself. Make sure you put greace on the thread of the tap to collect any metal filings.
xd351ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 17:54   #3 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd351ute
The plug needs to be seated against the block to seal the compression in the cylinder.
Was afraid you'd say that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd351ute
Some of the mobile mechanical people have a tool that will clean up the sparkplug thread. Or you could buy a tap and do it yourself. Make sure you put greace on the thread of the tap to collect any metal filings.
I'm going to have another go with a fresh spark plug tonight. It's more likely that I've buggered up the threads on the plugs than the block, which is cast iron. When you think about it, how difficult would it actually be to knacker the threads in an iron block?!?

If that doesn't work, a friend has come to the rescue with a tap, so hopefully we'll get there in the end.

Anyway, sounds like the only downside to running the spark-plug half in is loss on compression on one cylinder, so I guess that's not the end of the world provided I get it sorted out quickly and don't drive anywhere far away.
Old 07-12-2004, 18:09   #4 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Anyway, sounds like the only downside to running the spark-plug half in is loss on compression on one cylinder, so I guess that's not the end of the world provided I get it sorted out quickly and don't drive anywhere far away.
Thats a downside but the BIGGEST downside is if any iron filings got onto the cylinder and are now acting like a cheese grater!

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 18:13   #5 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Thats a downside but the BIGGEST downside is if any iron filings got onto the cylinder and are now acting like a cheese grater!
LOL! Yeah - I think the filings (actually, just one) were still attached to the spark plug. I realised this when I inspected it and said filing impaled my thumb...
Old 07-12-2004, 18:17   #6 (permalink)
BOFH

Better in your thumb then the cylinder though. At least yon know where it is and your thumb will heal.

Still, OUCH, that must hurt

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 19:37   #7 (permalink)

You poor bloke (the threaded block, not thumb) that is a problem.
Chances are the metal would melt and sit on top of piston, causing it to heat up quick and ping.
TICK4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 20:43   #8 (permalink)
5.8 litre

I always screw plugs in with the sparkplug socket but use fingers only on the end of the socket. You can feel the plug is going in right. Then finish with socket handle.
xd351ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 20:56   #9 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

You can buy sparkpulg hole threaders from Repco theyre cheap...

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 01:56   #10 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Isn't it going to be very difficult to use a tap to make a new thread and stop all the filling's from entering the cylinder??????????.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech