HELP, trying to identifya 351c - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 22:48   #1 (permalink)

HELP, trying to identifya 351c

Hi Guys i'm trying to identify what engine and heads i have in my 351, these are the engine numbers i can find JG71pt 81948k which i have worked out is from a 1974 Ford ltd, but the other numbers i have no idea the numbers are listed below, pleas help.

The block D AE-LA
3j7
and it has an R stamped below the above numbers

Below this is a strange circular plate with the numbers 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 all written around the circle.

On the heads all i can find is a raised 3 on the end of the head and a stamped number 1 half way along the head.

Any help with these numbers would be very helpfull, thanks
Davexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 08:04   #2 (permalink)

Re: HELP, trying to identifya 351c

not sure how to desribe it but the cleveland in ltd's were a standard engine that could be made to run like a scalded ape. they were inch wider on the intake manifold than the 302 and the 351 winsor hope this helps
bascobunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:23   #3 (permalink)

Are you trying to determine WHICH 351C or IF it is a 351C?

One of the easiest ways on a stock engine to determine IF it's a 351C would be to look at the firing order and the block/water situation.

The Firing Order of the 351C is: 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. The #1 plug in the 351C distributor is normally located at the 7 to 8 o'clock
position as viewed from above/rear.

Here are some other Firing Order's.....

• Ford (5.0L HO, 351W, 351M, 351C, 400): Counter-clockwise 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
• Ford: Counter-clockwise 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

The Cleveland will NOT have a water jacket in the intake manifold. IE the hose going to your heater core will come from the water pump and NOT the intake manifold. I'm not sure on a 351 modified.

If you take off the heads, things become a little more obvious. The ports and valves on a 351C are quite large compared to a 351W.

I'm not near any resource material, but if you still need help I'll do some digging when I have time.
Bossman_351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 13:50   #4 (permalink)

I know it is a 351c but what i'm wanting to find out is what the other numbers mean, and how to identify what heads are on it eg. 2v or 4v, i've had a couple of guys look at it & have told me different things, one guy even told me it was a nascar block, so i'm just trying to establish what i've got.
Old 02-08-2011, 16:37   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davexd View Post
I know it is a 351c but what i'm wanting to find out is what the other numbers mean, and how to identify what heads are on it eg. 2v or 4v, i've had a couple of guys look at it & have told me different things, one guy even told me it was a nascar block, so i'm just trying to establish what i've got.
Gday Dave,

It would appear that the block you have (D AE-LA 3j7) was cast on September 7, 1973. There appears to be a number missing between the D and the AE, are there any other numbers you can find? It is likely that the R indicates that you have 4V heads rather than 2V and you should be able to see either a 2 or a 4 cast into the diagonal corners of the head, visible without removing the heads from the block.

Hope this helps,
Mark
cobra269au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 17:00   #6 (permalink)

I noticed that there is a number missing between the D & AE which i thought was odd, the only number i have found on the heads is the number 3 do i need to take the rocker covers off and look underneath?
Old 02-16-2011, 19:31   #7 (permalink)

Sounds more like you have a 351M/400 or a 400FMX. To determine if it's a C or M, measure across the flat area in the center where the intake sits. The measurement from head bottom to head bottom should be 7 inches for a 351C and 8.5 inches for a 351M/400. Also the bellhousing pattern will be a small block pattern (approx 6-7" at top two bolts) for a 351C and a 400FMX(ultra rare engine). The big block pattern is what the 351M/400 has and is approx 8 inches at the top 2 bolts of the bell. Now for the heads. If they have a 2 cast into the corner without a dot, they are 2v non smog heads. With a dot, smog 2v. Same goes for the 4v heads. No dot, more than likely closed chamber heads. Pull the valve cover for casting verification. Should be D0ZE or D0AE. With a dot, it will be open chamber heads with massive ports.

Hope I didn't overload you with info.
Khyren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:47   #8 (permalink)
gcg2503

A 1974 Aust Ford LTD will be a 351 Cleveland
The heads will be 2V heads...not 4V
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:58   #9 (permalink)

here's how to tell which Aussie heads are on your engine w/o taking them off

Ford Aussie 302C Heads - Clevelands Forever!
tinman351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech