High Energy Sump - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2004, 04:52   #1 (permalink)

High Energy Sump

Hello all,
First post for this forum, I have a clevo in an xf strip only car, it is fitted with a HE 3010 Pro Eliminator Pan, according to the people that make them they hold about 8L.
I have a ford dipstick and tube and this thing only holds about 5 - 5.5 L at best. The engine spins fairly hard and i don't want to shag anything, are there different dipsticks and tubes? Does anyone have any experience with this one?
Thanks in advance,
Paul, Rky, Qld.
tuffxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2004, 05:05   #2 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

Re: High Energy Sump

I have an high energy 8 litre sump, and i still use the standard dipstick, the level is the same, the only difference more oil sits in the bottom of the pan.
falcon coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:50   #3 (permalink)

Try this simple ides.
Pour a litre of oil in the engine and stick the standard dipstick in. Mark the dipstick.
Pour another litre in and mark it and do the same up to 8 litres. You may find you might only need 7 litres of oil. Ring Hi Energy to confirm.
Old 04-19-2004, 13:55   #4 (permalink)

I have a high energy sump. Great sump with one problem. When the motor was rebuilt, it took 8 litres to fill. When I now do an oil change on flat ground, it takes 5.5 litres to refill. I think the problem lies in the placement of the sump plug. It is directly on the bottom of the sump, thus the female thread (boss) for the bolt goes up into the sump 3/4 of an inch and the entire contents cant be drained. I find if you jack the passenger front wheel up to create an angle, alot more oil drains out the sump plug, and more oil is needed to refill.
andrewcrocos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 16:09   #5 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Thats problems pretty standard on any high capacity sump. Mine has the same issue. I used to just put two wheels up on the gutter. Problem fixed. My sumps not high energy either.

Brenden
Old 04-20-2004, 05:59   #6 (permalink)
ESP Man

So what's the point of not being able to drain all the oil from the sump?

If someone sold me a sump that did that he would now be wearing it up his a#*^

I thought the idea of doing an oil change was to remove ALL the contaminated oil.

My sump holds about 6lts and the drain plug hole is at the lowest point of the sump floor - where it should be!
Old 04-20-2004, 22:09   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynet
So what's the point of not being able to drain all the oil from the sump?

If someone sold me a sump that did that he would now be wearing it up his a#*^

I thought the idea of doing an oil change was to remove ALL the contaminated oil.

My sump holds about 6lts and the drain plug hole is at the lowest point of the sump floor - where it should be!
They don't have the sump plug in the sump floor because if you do and the sump plug hits something? The plug will be ripped out causing oil loss and engine damage. The sump plug is located @ the back on the wing of the sump. It's there for a very good reason.

To completely drain it? All thats needed is for the car to be on a small angle. Like the angle a gutter would/will provide. It's not hard. One side of the car could also be driven onto 1 ramp. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to sort it.

Brenden
Old 04-23-2004, 03:59   #8 (permalink)
ESP
V8 GT pilot

I'm running a Hi Energy Eliminator pan in my Clevo XE ESP.
I still have the standard tube and dipstick and have no trouble in measuring the oil level.

You just need to fill the new sump to the exact level on the mark of the dipstick as per factory spec. You will find that you are just filling with more oil , you need to STOP at the original factory mark otherwise your crank will be swimming in oil , this defies the point of having a crank scraper in the first place.

Mu extended sump ended up taking just over 6 litres of Mobil's finest.
The pan works great and so does the anti cav pick up that Hi Energy make and sell.

Cheers
ESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 17:11   #9 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

ive got a bit of a problem with mine sump, its a viper cump to suit a cortina. When i put the dipstick in, it hits the bottom of the sump. Should i just cut small amounts off it till it just clears, and then fill to the line? its a new dipstick from superplus.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:16   #10 (permalink)

Remember, a lot of the sumps quote US "quarts" instead of litres. An 8 litre sump is pretty freakin big. 1 litre = 1.057 quarts.

ie: My 7 quart sump which is an average size for a performance sump = ~6 1/2 litres.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech