Ford Forums banner

high nickel cleveland block?

6K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  jim1320 
#1 ·
I bought a D2AE-CA block today that has about 15 XYs welded in the lifter valley.I have never seen this before.Is this for high nickel content or what.It is a 4 bolt main block.I build Clevelands all the time and have 10 4 bolt main motors right now and 4 of them are D2AE-CA blocks but they do not have the YXs welded in the lifter valley.If anyone was wandering way so many Clevelands it's for my to 69 mach 1 drag cars.I stroke them and run Neil Brodix BF301 alum. heads.All my buddies run Windsors and want me to but as of right now they are still trying to catch me.And before I get the cussing from the windsor guys.I think they are great motors but mine works for me.5.61 BEST 1/8 WITH A 400 SHOT.On a 10 inch slick with a pro shifted 4 speed and thats not leaning on it to hard it's got more before it goes boom.Thanks for any info

#4 ·
stangdaddy05 said:
Thanks I looked at the block again and the Y and Xs are cast in all four corners and not welded.Does that change anything?The block looks thicker between the pistons.I need to mike it.It also feels heavy but I might just be gettin old.
y and x's in the corners dont change anything.
And NO, it is not thicker between the bores. It can't phisically be thicker, as the bore spacings and all dimentions are identical.
Also wall thickness will be the same too, which is the problem with these blocks.

#5 ·
Thanks I set it beside one of the other blocks and yes I see that it is the same.Yea I know what you mean about wall thickness.I have had some strokers push the pistons through the cyl. walls when I tried stroking past 408.I have seen the bigger kits run in some Cleveland blocks but thin walls and the shorter deck hieght pushes them too the breaking point.Thanks for your info.

#7 ·
ah, the ever running clevo block debate goes on!!! how are ya guys, yeah like xdclevo said, aussie blocks have x and y's everywhere(some aussie blocks were shipped from ford australia to ford usa during the late 70's to serve as new replacements after usa stopped making them), even the good old xflow six block copped them! just some bored guy on the sand casting line having fun!! Does the block you mention have valve relief notches cut into top of bores? cheers

#11 ·
Thanks

Thanks for pricing been a little low on prices. Got a friend he junk some cars at him place . Need get some cars out. to make everybody happy . been get the cleveland motors from him. about one every week or two. Got 2 motors last week d2ae 2v heads. need check blocks for 4 bolts ford . Hoping to get more 4v close heads and D blocks dove and maybe get luckey a 4bolts. only one this year. thanks
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.