holley black pump - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2005, 00:39   #1 (permalink)

holley black pump

gday all,
does anybody know if you can run a return line back to the tank from the pump?
or do you have to put a t piece in line after the pump but before the reg?

cheers, justin.
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2005, 00:45   #2 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

Re: holley black pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by debacle-racing
gday all,
does anybody know if you can run a return line back to the tank from the pump?
or do you have to put a t piece in line after the pump but before the reg?

cheers, justin.
The best thing to do is to run a return line from the reg. You wil find the mallory 3 port retun reg the best for this. Run your fuel line up to the reg out to the carby and then back to the tank. Why are you useing a holley black.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 00:54   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch7472
The best thing to do is to run a return line from the reg. You wil find the mallory 3 port retun reg the best for this. Run your fuel line up to the reg out to the carby and then back to the tank. Why are you useing a holley black.
because i own it.
whats wrong with the black pump anyway. it is on a race car. i got the black because a few people i had spoken to said that their blue pumps wernt cutting the mustard. i know there is probably a million cars with blue pumps that run fine. im not knocking them (getting in early before i hurt someones feelings) the black pump is there now and its staying there. i have blown enough money on this car.
i also run a bg 2 port reg.
i didnt really want to run a return line from the carb back to the tank. its a pain in the arse.
any other ideas?
can you run a return line from the pressure relief valve in the pump?
Old 11-27-2005, 01:28   #4 (permalink)

If you ran a t-piece at the pump outlet there would be hardly any restriction flowing back to the tank.....you would therefore have almost zero pressure at the engine bay reg. These holley carbs (mallory too) weren't designed to run a return line at the pump.....unlike certain Barry Grant models that have a built in pump bypass.

So, as far as I can see it, you're going to have to swap out your standard single line regulator for a bypass reg and plumb in a return line to the tank. Normal regs don't allow this.

BUT, any reason why you need the bypass setup in the first place? It's normally a street car thing where it eases the pump load and extends its life....being a "race car" you should be OK with the single line??

Plumbing a return line isn't that hard. I used 1/2" aluminium tube bent to shape wuth tube nuts on the end. Looks schmick and relatively cheap. Here's a pic of my mallory reg and return line out the bottom.

Note, the return line should be less restrictive than the feed line to prevent backpressure....although 1/2" both ways should be fine.

Old 11-27-2005, 01:37   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by debacle-racing
i didnt really want to run a return line from the carb back to the tank. its a pain in the arse.
any other ideas?
You will have to run the return line back after the reg under the bonnet, or do like most and don't run one at all. The black sounds like a good pump. I am about to buy a new one, but the Mallory 140. Sounds like both do the same job by the specs.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 01:39   #6 (permalink)

thanks trublu351,
ive been having a few probs with the fuel system, and this is just a starting point.
the pump has konked out a couple of times (wiring is fine) and i thought that this may be the problem.
cheers, justin.

here is the "race car"
http://www.hioctane.com.au/photos/14...s/DSC_7601.htm

this is before the caltracs.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:47   #7 (permalink)

Hey, nice ride! Getting some airtime there on the fronts!!

How do the new 60 foot times compare with teh new caltracs?

Has the pump been audibly stopping or just fuel pressure dropping off? ie: how's your tank pickup setup? You running a dash fuel press gauge?
Old 11-27-2005, 01:57   #8 (permalink)

Hey, if you put the link inbetween these characters with no spaces, the pic gets displayed.

[img]link[/img]

This one looks crazy.....would be a handful at 120mph Please tell me you whopped him!
Old 11-27-2005, 01:57   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
Hey, nice ride! Getting some airtime there on the fronts!!

How do the new 60 foot times compare with teh new caltracs?

Has the pump been audibly stopping or just fuel pressure dropping off? ie: how's your tank pickup setup? You running a dash fuel press gauge?
that run broke the diff, slapper bars,bell housing, gearbox, engine mount and it was a 1.53 60ft

we have actually run better ets with the caltracs (dunno why) and the 60 fts are up to shit, to the caltracs defence, we have had them set up wrong, really wrong. i didnt set them up the way i was supposed to and i had the wrong springs in the ute. we just purchased some rancho adjustable shocks but havnt run them yet, but cant wait to! the ute is bare bones at the moment getting a cage and an engine freshen up.

the pump has stopped. the old tap with the screwdriver handle trick fixed it though. fuel pressure seems fine (fuel pressure gage is mounted outside the window) pressure not dropping off at all throughout the run.
i think i have some fuel evap. probs too.
at present i am running 1/2" hydraulic line from the cell to the reg. i am going to change that to 1/2" aluminium line (like in the pic) while the car is in pieces.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:03   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
Hey, if you put the link inbetween these characters with no spaces, the pic gets displayed.

[img]link[/img]

This one looks crazy.....would be a handful at 120mph Please tell me you whopped him!
ithanks for that.
i havnt raced him yet, the ute has run 11.40. i think the van runs similar times and runs a bit of happy gas. wild ride. he reckons its fine to drive.
i will stick to the ute i think!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech