Ford Forums banner

holley carbs

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  wes 
#1 ·
bit of a carb problem, got 600holley with vac 2's (brand new) on mild 351 clevo, no choke (auto/manual) ... unless engine is getting up to operating temp forget about moving, touching the throttle seems to just flood and kill the eng.... but when its warmed up a bit (say after 5mins or so) look out (onto 2nd set engine mounts!)

#9 ·
9psi EB said:
Cs123

Although its there, no Holleys like choke, regardless of what anyone tells you.
Thats just the way they are......

9psi EB
I've never seen a Holley used in street applications that had a choke problem. Most problems I have seen have been from people not setting them up properly.

I have seen Holley's that have been extensively modified to remove the choke and air horn but a 351C running a 600cfm Holley should have no problems.

Can you elobrate on the problems they have?

#10 ·
cs123 said:
Why no choke, that's what they are there for. That would be the first thing I would fix for your problem.

It may be that you need a bigger accel pump cam. Does it flatspot when you floor it when hot?
had same carb on previous eng with no choke, never had any probs. But sometimes when you tramp it it does miss, but not always. It runs c4 auto, if u hold it in 1st and dump it sweet, but sometimes when in drive is when it tends to stall out

#11 ·
Turn in or out the screw on the accellerator pump ?? Check that there is no crapp around needle and seat??

#12 ·
wes said:
bit of a carb problem, got 600holley with vac 2's (brand new) on mild 351 clevo, no choke (auto/manual) ... unless engine is getting up to operating temp forget about moving, touching the throttle seems to just flood and kill the eng.... but when its warmed up a bit (say after 5mins or so) look out (onto 2nd set engine mounts!)
are you sure its flooding, it sounds like to me the accelerator pump is not working.
i had had a few V8s in my time, and if the carby is working well,and the rest of the car is in tune, you shouldnt need a choke.

as the other guys have said, make sure the float level is right, and check for vacuum leaks as well, and your timing too.

jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.