Holley spits fuel - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2004, 13:44   #1 (permalink)

Holley spits fuel

Help I have a 750 DP HP on performer manifold spitting fuel out the booster jets when the engine is hot and turned off. I have installed a 1/2" heat spacer, insulated the fuel line, lowered the float levels 3mm lower than the IO, which has delayed the problem but after a few hours running it happens again!!! The fuel pump pressure can get up to 7 psig. max. Any ideas
northiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2004, 15:46   #2 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Re: Holley spits fuel

do you have a fuel regulator? shouldn't need one for 7psi but i am not totally sure about that...
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 16:26   #3 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by northiam
Help I have a 750 DP HP on performer manifold spitting fuel out the booster jets when the engine is hot and turned off. I have installed a 1/2" heat spacer, insulated the fuel line, lowered the float levels 3mm lower than the IO, which has delayed the problem but after a few hours running it happens again!!! The fuel pump pressure can get up to 7 psig. max. Any ideas
The most common problem for this condition is a stuck or floating needle. Check to ensure that you don't have some material entering the carburetor float bowls from the tank. Ensure that you have a fuel filter and that no debris is traversing the filter to stick up the needle or its seat.

It is possible that the springs and/or seats (probably rubber tip on the needle) are in need of replacement. Another possiblity is a leaking float. Check to see if your floats are air tight. Pull them out and rattle them to see if they have fluid inside of them. If the fuel is coming from both primary and secondaries, then check them both otherwise, just check the side that is bleeding fuel.

:davis:
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 18:05   #4 (permalink)

Had this problem recurring over many years. It only got fixed for good with a regulator, heat insulator and heavy duty needle and seats (Holley P/N 6-521 Needle and Seat Assembly w/Titanium Needle - .150)

7psi would be too much for standard needle and seats.
Old 11-01-2004, 17:39   #5 (permalink)

I have seemed to resolved the prob by installing a fuel cut off solenoid valve just before the carbie. I switch off the fuel 20 seconds before turning it off! Acts as a thief deterrent too! This allows the fuel level to drop in the primary bowl and relieve pressure off the needle seats. Ive removed the phenolic spacer as it fits the shaker better. I ve also dropped the fuel levels 6mm under the IO. Do yous thing the lower levels will be OK?
northiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 19:14   #6 (permalink)

As long as your mixtures are not too lean (lowering float will lean it slightly) and it doesn't run out of fuel at WOT it makes no other difference.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:25   #7 (permalink)

I was suprised by a new stock mechanical pump giving me 9psi @ idle. Worked OK though.........until the electric one get fitted.

Last edited by TruBlu351; 11-02-2004 at 06:26. Reason: typo
TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech