Ford Forums banner

Holy Mother Of God! CHI Heads and Manifold :D

9K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  brenx 
#1 ·
Well. Golly. Croikey!
We got my XY with the CHI 185cc 3V heads and milled intake manifold onto the Dyno today... With a *Baby* 519thou lift, 218 @ 050/276 advertised cam, 750 Vac sec, and Pacemaker 4075s (Which fit with minimal problems, just a tiny bit of clearanceing at the steering box and gearbox crossmember on the right side), crappy 2 1/4" press bent dual exhaust(no cross overs or anything), toploader and a borgy 2.75 diff, we peaked it at 360 rwhp with ignition breakup from a dodgy HEI module (XD dizzy)....With a dead flat torque Curve from 2200rpm onwards!
Its so nuts to drive!
I'm dying to see what it will do with the ignition sorted and a half decent exhaust.... But its just so nice to drive... not too lumpy, and just pulls in any gear at any speed (apart from the ignition breakdown...)
Its just got stupendous torque...

After a bit of messing around I got the Shaker to fit, just need to mill the choke for a little extra clearance against the filter lid...

I love my new Motor :D

Ben

See less See more
#3 ·
davway said:
have i got this right?? about 270rwkw??? man that would kick arse!!! get the problems fixed!!
The biggest problem I'm having is trying to get it to hook up with a 2.75 single spinner!
but yes. it does kick some major Ass. :D
I'm seriously traction limited on the wet Brizzy roads.....

#4 ·
what did it cost for the heads? and you milled your existing manifold or use the chi one? 370kw seems a tad high dont u think maybe mid 250-260 and what bottom end have you got? i'm going to a chi package mid next year.
AZZA
ps have to save up 1st

#7 ·
GammaBoy said:
Well. Golly. Croikey!
We got my XY with the CHI 185cc 3V heads and milled intake manifold onto the Dyno today... With a *Baby* 519thou lift, 218 @ 050/276 advertised cam, 750 Vac sec, and Pacemaker 4075s (Which fit with minimal problems, just a tiny bit of clearanceing at the steering box and gearbox crossmember on the right side), crappy 2 1/4" press bent dual exhaust(no cross overs or anything), toploader and a borgy 2.75 diff, we peaked it at 360 rwhp with ignition breakup from a dodgy HEI module (XD dizzy)....With a dead flat torque Curve from 2200rpm onwards!
Its so nuts to drive!
I'm dying to see what it will do with the ignition sorted and a half decent exhaust.... But its just so nice to drive... not too lumpy, and just pulls in any gear at any speed (apart from the ignition breakdown...)
Its just got stupendous torque...

After a bit of messing around I got the Shaker to fit, just need to mill the choke for a little extra clearance against the filter lid...

I love my new Motor :D

Ben
Bloody AWESOME that is a great result.These CHI heads are becoming very popular :wnc:

#8 ·
I've just gotten back from having a bit of a play... took one of my mates for a ride, now, to me the acceleration is good (Damn good infact), not quite sport bike rip your arms out of your socket good (I'm spoiled by the insane warpdrive effect of a 500cc two stroke roadbike... :p), but every time i dropped it back a gear and mashed it, he looked like :AAHHH:
I really need to replace that HEI module.... bloody missfire under load...
Next on my list is a 3.25 9" with a posi.... I wanna do highway trips with this thing, and it'd have abso-fuggin-loutely *NO* traction with 4.11s....
I just can't believe the way it pulls!
There were one or two ricers that had a closer look, but i musta scared them off cos they didn't want to play....

Azza, yeah HP not Kw mate :D
I used the CHI manifold milled down to 6.25" (they're 7" normally)
Bottom end? its a motor that I bought out of a lightly written off XC, sold the Heads to Neeeek. When I first looked into the innards of the motor i thought I got stung, but each time we look harder we find more nice stuff done to it... Fur instance, its got non stock rods. They're I beams, but not ford items, didn't look close enough to see what they are though. They'd been ground and balanced, everything balanced... so smooth.... It had long skirt Hypertec brand flat top pistons, (hypereutectic i spose, shhh. don't tell Davis :p), the block wasn't decked, so the compression isn't insane, Its basically a pre-run-in bottome end that had some $$ spent on it when it was built, maybe 8-10,000km before i got it... 4MA crank... Scorpion Roller rockers....1

Brenx, yeah, awesome investment... just gotta baby the diff (Borgy) and driveshaft (XF 6 cyl!) for a little while... any bets on whats gunna go first?

FPV, these things have every right to become popular!... just the heads/intake/extractors changed to transform a cooking 351 to an animal! (previous owner said something about 350hp at the fly on an engine dyno.... it had "why-trys" and a Edelbrock "Non-Performer" manifold, so i'd guess at 320 flywheel tops... say 130+hp in the heads and intake/exhaust? Was massively lean with the original jetting in the 750 Vac...

These things are just so impressive..... the power delivery is so smooth...
And they're light enough that with the 16:1 steering box its not too bad to park (my powersteering sprung a leak again, so I chopped the belt to save the pump)

All I can say is a BIG thanks to John at CHI for coming up with a monster street head..... its so docile with the cam thats in it till you lean on it a bit!

Ben
Sorry bout the long post, I'm just so stoked!

#9 ·
I'll bet the diff :hehe: 302 and 6cyl run the same tailshaft and I know a few people still running them behind high hp engines without a single issue.

[edit]Those heads flow their max @ around 550thou so your cams not too far off. If the durations right and the lobe seps good you make good power with a small camshaft as you've found ;)

Brenden

#16 ·
yeah, yeah... very impressive - but those single spinner burnouts are pretty lame dude - fix it immediately!!! :p

*note: CHI heads: I just want some!

#18 ·
It has Teh Powah Of Teh Shiny Rocker Covers!! (tm)

#19 ·
northiam said:
How is it that you can get 360rwhp (270kw) with such a mild cam, carb etc? So many other guys here running 3V alloys F246 cams, DP carbs, MSD, tuned and tested and they are just cracking the 250rwkw! Care to share your secret?
If I remember correctly the cam was selected by John @ CHI???

Brenden

#23 ·
that is awesome man, glad to hear you got it done, would love to see it, can't wait to get my new clevo going as well you should come out cruising with us again (when it's bloody dry), i am taking it that you will waste me off the line this time?? HAHA

I'd say get rid of the 2.75's and get something a bit lower, mine was running 2.75's, i just done the diff up and put 3.5's in and boy is she responsive now, it's way easier on the clutch/driveline, be nice to your clutch with those tall gears because i was hard on mine and have clutch shudder, i would say from those terrible 2.75's i had.

3.25's would probably be good for what you want (highway) and it will make a big difference.

Good luck with it all and hope to catch up soon!!! :)

#26 ·
Just a thought ???
Have you tried clossing the plug gap alittle ???
With the extra flow through heads it maybe blowing spark out ???
Try .035 gap ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.