Holy Mother Of God! CHI Heads and Manifold :D - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2004, 01:33   #1 (permalink)
Boost Is for Pussies

Holy Mother Of God! CHI Heads and Manifold :D

Well. Golly. Croikey!
We got my XY with the CHI 185cc 3V heads and milled intake manifold onto the Dyno today... With a *Baby* 519thou lift, 218 @ 050/276 advertised cam, 750 Vac sec, and Pacemaker 4075s (Which fit with minimal problems, just a tiny bit of clearanceing at the steering box and gearbox crossmember on the right side), crappy 2 1/4" press bent dual exhaust(no cross overs or anything), toploader and a borgy 2.75 diff, we peaked it at 360 rwhp with ignition breakup from a dodgy HEI module (XD dizzy)....With a dead flat torque Curve from 2200rpm onwards!
Its so nuts to drive!
I'm dying to see what it will do with the ignition sorted and a half decent exhaust.... But its just so nice to drive... not too lumpy, and just pulls in any gear at any speed (apart from the ignition breakdown...)
Its just got stupendous torque...

After a bit of messing around I got the Shaker to fit, just need to mill the choke for a little extra clearance against the filter lid...

I love my new Motor :D

Ben
GammaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2004, 01:37   #2 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

Re: Holy Mother Of God! CHI Heads and Manifold :D

have i got this right?? about 270rwkw??? man that would kick arse!!! get the problems fixed!!
Old 12-09-2004, 01:41   #3 (permalink)
Boost Is for Pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
have i got this right?? about 270rwkw??? man that would kick arse!!! get the problems fixed!!
The biggest problem I'm having is trying to get it to hook up with a 2.75 single spinner!
but yes. it does kick some major Ass. :D
I'm seriously traction limited on the wet Brizzy roads.....
Old 12-09-2004, 02:57   #4 (permalink)

what did it cost for the heads? and you milled your existing manifold or use the chi one? 370kw seems a tad high dont u think maybe mid 250-260 and what bottom end have you got? i'm going to a chi package mid next year.
AZZA
ps have to save up 1st
azza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:29   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azza
370kw seems a tad high dont u think maybe mid 250-260
Gammaboy said 360rwhp (not kW). And yes davway, 360hp = 268kW.

Great to hear you're getting some great results Gammaboy. Now you just need a 4.11 rear end and let the games begin!
Old 12-09-2004, 03:37   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Told you the CHI's were a good investment

Brenden
Old 12-09-2004, 03:51   #7 (permalink)
The SB Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaBoy
Well. Golly. Croikey!
We got my XY with the CHI 185cc 3V heads and milled intake manifold onto the Dyno today... With a *Baby* 519thou lift, 218 @ 050/276 advertised cam, 750 Vac sec, and Pacemaker 4075s (Which fit with minimal problems, just a tiny bit of clearanceing at the steering box and gearbox crossmember on the right side), crappy 2 1/4" press bent dual exhaust(no cross overs or anything), toploader and a borgy 2.75 diff, we peaked it at 360 rwhp with ignition breakup from a dodgy HEI module (XD dizzy)....With a dead flat torque Curve from 2200rpm onwards!
Its so nuts to drive!
I'm dying to see what it will do with the ignition sorted and a half decent exhaust.... But its just so nice to drive... not too lumpy, and just pulls in any gear at any speed (apart from the ignition breakdown...)
Its just got stupendous torque...

After a bit of messing around I got the Shaker to fit, just need to mill the choke for a little extra clearance against the filter lid...

I love my new Motor :D

Ben
Bloody AWESOME that is a great result.These CHI heads are becoming very popular

Introducing the Boss 290 powerplant
The Boss 290 combines the best of both worlds, with race-bred power and everyday comfort. The awe-inspiring Boss 290 is a powerplant unlike any ever built in this country and comes to life on Australia's only current V8 production line.
FPVGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 06:09   #8 (permalink)
Boost Is for Pussies

I've just gotten back from having a bit of a play... took one of my mates for a ride, now, to me the acceleration is good (Damn good infact), not quite sport bike rip your arms out of your socket good (I'm spoiled by the insane warpdrive effect of a 500cc two stroke roadbike... ), but every time i dropped it back a gear and mashed it, he looked like
I really need to replace that HEI module.... bloody missfire under load...
Next on my list is a 3.25 9" with a posi.... I wanna do highway trips with this thing, and it'd have abso-fuggin-loutely *NO* traction with 4.11s....
I just can't believe the way it pulls!
There were one or two ricers that had a closer look, but i musta scared them off cos they didn't want to play....

Azza, yeah HP not Kw mate :D
I used the CHI manifold milled down to 6.25" (they're 7" normally)
Bottom end? its a motor that I bought out of a lightly written off XC, sold the Heads to Neeeek. When I first looked into the innards of the motor i thought I got stung, but each time we look harder we find more nice stuff done to it... Fur instance, its got non stock rods. They're I beams, but not ford items, didn't look close enough to see what they are though. They'd been ground and balanced, everything balanced... so smooth.... It had long skirt Hypertec brand flat top pistons, (hypereutectic i spose, shhh. don't tell Davis ), the block wasn't decked, so the compression isn't insane, Its basically a pre-run-in bottome end that had some $$ spent on it when it was built, maybe 8-10,000km before i got it... 4MA crank... Scorpion Roller rockers....1

Brenx, yeah, awesome investment... just gotta baby the diff (Borgy) and driveshaft (XF 6 cyl!) for a little while... any bets on whats gunna go first?

FPV, these things have every right to become popular!... just the heads/intake/extractors changed to transform a cooking 351 to an animal! (previous owner said something about 350hp at the fly on an engine dyno.... it had "why-trys" and a Edelbrock "Non-Performer" manifold, so i'd guess at 320 flywheel tops... say 130+hp in the heads and intake/exhaust? Was massively lean with the original jetting in the 750 Vac...

These things are just so impressive..... the power delivery is so smooth...
And they're light enough that with the 16:1 steering box its not too bad to park (my powersteering sprung a leak again, so I chopped the belt to save the pump)

All I can say is a BIG thanks to John at CHI for coming up with a monster street head..... its so docile with the cam thats in it till you lean on it a bit!

Ben
Sorry bout the long post, I'm just so stoked!
Old 12-09-2004, 07:01   #9 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I'll bet the diff 302 and 6cyl run the same tailshaft and I know a few people still running them behind high hp engines without a single issue.

[edit]Those heads flow their max @ around 550thou so your cams not too far off. If the durations right and the lobe seps good you make good power with a small camshaft as you've found

Brenden
Old 12-09-2004, 07:06   #10 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

That's fantastic!!!

/outback_ute gets out his to-do list...
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech