HOT, damn hot. 42*C - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2004, 02:44   #1 (permalink)

HOT, damn hot. 42*C

Note to self: don't go snail pace city driving when its 42*C.

My new poxy electric fan certainly failed to do its job. Need those twin AU thermos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2004, 03:00   #2 (permalink)
Boost Is for Pussies

Re: HOT, damn hot. 42*C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
Note to self: don't go snail pace city driving when its 42*C.

My new poxy electric fan certainly failed to do its job. Need those twin AU thermos.
All I can say is AU Thermo's Kick some serious Ass!
36 degree day, the XY idles forever sitting on 1/4 guage....
Only time it got hot was when the fuses for the fans blew. Kids, Use a 25A fuse per fan motor... 20A gets killed by the current draw on fan startup.
I hope you didn't get the XD too hot?
GammaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 03:06   #3 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

Guys,
i don't understand all this overheating stuff, my clevo makes an honest 450hp, solid cam etc and i run a 4 core wide XBGT radiator with standard shroud and standard fan and i can sit in traffic on a 40+'c day for an hour and it barely gets over 1/3 on the temp gauge, id suggest looking at solving your cooling system problems first before fitting aftermarket fans etc as a band-aid to overcome a fault that may exist..!
:-)
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 03:10   #4 (permalink)
The SB Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Guys,
i don't understand all this overheating stuff, my clevo makes an honest 450hp, solid cam etc and i run a 4 core wide XBGT radiator with standard shroud and standard fan and i can sit in traffic on a 40+'c day for an hour and it barely gets over 1/3 on the temp gauge, id suggest looking at solving your cooling system problems first before fitting aftermarket fans etc as a band-aid to overcome a fault that may exist..!
4Vman same thing here too i think making sure u have the right thermostat and the cooling system is maintained there shouldn't be any dramas.My Clevo runs at 175 on cruz and 180 on idle on a 30 odd degree day with no fluctuation.

Introducing the Boss 290 powerplant
The Boss 290 combines the best of both worlds, with race-bred power and everyday comfort. The awe-inspiring Boss 290 is a powerplant unlike any ever built in this country and comes to life on Australia's only current V8 production line.
FPVGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 03:13   #5 (permalink)
Boost Is for Pussies

Quote:
Guys,
I went to the AU fans cos I didn't want a fan blade poking out my bonnet when (not if) the factory fan decides to shed a blade. besides, engine fans sound terrible.
GammaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 03:41   #6 (permalink)

I,m convinced my waterpump causes my slight heat problem. I have basically had 3 different new 351c combos since 2000. In this i have has 2v open chambered heads, then same block and alloy heads, and then new block and alloy heads and all have run pretty hot in traffic in summer and a bit in winter. All with the same waterpump. It is a std cast iron w/pump.
Maybe time to try a decent alloy one with the better impeller.
Also when i went alloy heads i went from the V8 XD radiator to a 4 core tripple flow desert cooler, and still gets hot.
Might check pulley ratio's too. Stuff it, its too hot!!!!
Old 12-14-2004, 03:46   #7 (permalink)
The SB Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
I,m convinced my waterpump causes my slight heat problem. I have basically had 3 different new 351c combos since 2000. In this i have has 2v open chambered heads, then same block and alloy heads, and then new block and alloy heads and all have run pretty hot in traffic in summer and a bit in winter. All with the same waterpump. It is a std cast iron w/pump.
Maybe time to try a decent alloy one with the better impeller.
Also when i went alloy heads i went from the V8 XD radiator to a 4 core tripple flow desert cooler, and still gets hot.
Might check pulley ratio's too. Stuff it, its too hot!!!!
I would almost say that by changing the water pump to a disc type impeller will be a major help.That Eco-Therm company is were i purchased mine from and i can honestly say it worked straight away.

The Boss 290 combines the best of both worlds, with race-bred power and everyday comfort. The awe-inspiring Boss 290 is a powerplant unlike any ever built in this country and comes to life on Australia's only current V8 production line.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:52   #8 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

Guys,
Ford spent millions of dollars researching all this stuff, don't try to re-invent the wheel, look for the problem and solve it, is your system clean inside? i mean really clean? is your radiator ok? is your block so thin in the bores that nothing's going to keep it cool, is your thermostat the correct one?
Iron water pumps work fine, theres nothing to wear out in there anyway except the seals and a bit of rust!
Look at fuel mixtures, lean motors run hot, look at timing, look at distance from fan to radiator, its important, look at shroud clearance, etc etc, 9 times out of 10 going back to Fords original settings or specs solves the problem!.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 04:05   #9 (permalink)
The SB Slayer

Quote:
Guys,
Ford spent millions of dollars researching all this stuff, don't try to re-invent the wheel, look for the problem and solve it, is your system clean inside? i mean really clean? is your radiator ok? is your block so thin in the bores that nothing's going to keep it cool, is your thermostat the correct one?
Iron water pumps work fine, theres nothing to wear out in there anyway except the seals and a bit of rust!
Look at fuel mixtures, lean motors run hot, look at timing, look at distance from fan to radiator, its important, look at shroud clearance, etc etc, 9 times out of 10 going back to Fords original settings or specs solves the problem!.
4vman that is the way but it is good to change from a fan to a disc in the water pump assy.Reason being is that when u rev a worked Clevo pass 6000 rpm the fan type impellor does tend to cavitate.In fact the standard type impellor is uselless at high revs.If u have a standard or mild Clevo the stock impellor is fine.

Old 12-14-2004, 04:07   #10 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

i am yet to hear of a factory fan let go. like every one else has said: if your car didnt come with thermals, then you shouldnt need them. if you do need them, you have a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech