Hot start problem............Help! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2006, 09:01   #1 (permalink)

Hot start problem............Help!

Have a hot start problem with my 1970 Torino 351C 4V. I have replaced the starter with a high torgque, petronics ignition, heat wrapped the starter, various grounds but nothing has help. My battery has been drained and charged a few hundred times, could this be it? It starts the car fine when cold. My coil is on the manifold, should I move it? Help please!
1970351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2006, 15:57   #2 (permalink)

Re: Hot start problem............Help!

hi 1970351,
sounds like you've had a gutful! I remember having these problems a while back in another car with 351C.

Before you spend large chunks of money, go have the battery tested. Many suspect batteries will hold their charge, but under a dynamic load ie. starting the car, they fall away to nothing. They'll charge it right up and then give it a full load test, you'll get an answer straight away.
If the battery checks out ok, go over these points:-
Have you checked the quality of your earth points, they should be on bare metal, not painted metal.
Are all the connections from cable to fittings solid, without corrosion.
Ideally bigger is better with regard to cable to your starter, 2 gauge or bigger
Also, you should realy have your battery as close to the starter as possible, many of us move the battery down the back to tidy up the engine bay, and then move it back there again after having all of your the problems you've described.
If you are still having problems after all that, then your battery could be the culprit. Go for an Odessy or Ultima, something around 800cca should be sufficient for most cars.

cheers
gus351
gus351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 17:10   #3 (permalink)

I had the exact same problem, i always thought my starter motor was worn out. Even though the earth leads looked ok, they were the cause of the problem. After i fitted a big new earth lead, the motor now turns faster then it ever has before (hot or cold).
And a new battery helped as well.
XC 302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:29   #4 (permalink)
CLEVO KID

Get coil Tested ,this can be the case when coil is breaking down??
potty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:34   #5 (permalink)

Does your starter have the solenoid on it, or is the solenoid remote (clapper)?
The starter motors with the solenoid on them don't like the heat from extractors.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:00   #6 (permalink)

If its starting no worries after a charge and cold but then after a drive its drained have you thought about checking out the altenator?

When you say its not starting what does it do exactly? Does it click but not turn over or is it turning over but too slowly to fire?
xespack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 18:47   #7 (permalink)

seems as tho this is a common problem out there as i also hav had this hot start problem. mine was the battery cable size, purely it was just too small to carry enough current when it started to get hot. first i replaced my battery coz that was getting quite weak during its load test. then the car used to start hot but just barely and after changing the battery cables all was ok and neva had an issue since. i'm not saying its ur problem but if ur battery is weak in a load test change it, if the battery connections r too small and the cable is too thin change them, and if ur alternator isnt charging correctly get it re-done. gud luck
ziggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 18:42   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC 302
I had the exact same problem, i always thought my starter motor was worn out. Even though the earth leads looked ok, they were the cause of the problem. After i fitted a big new earth lead, the motor now turns faster then it ever has before (hot or cold).
And a new battery helped as well.
What is an earth lead?
1970351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 19:07   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970351
What is an earth lead?
On an Aussie car, the driverside of the motor has the earth lead going to negative on the battery or chassis, and on the back of the passenger head there is another earth lead earthing out to the firewall.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 21:00   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus351
hi 1970351,
sounds like you've had a gutful! I remember having these problems a while back in another car with 351C.

Before you spend large chunks of money, go have the battery tested. Many suspect batteries will hold their charge, but under a dynamic load ie. starting the car, they fall away to nothing. They'll charge it right up and then give it a full load test, you'll get an answer straight away.
If the battery checks out ok, go over these points:-
Have you checked the quality of your earth points, they should be on bare metal, not painted metal.
Are all the connections from cable to fittings solid, without corrosion.
Ideally bigger is better with regard to cable to your starter, 2 gauge or bigger
Also, you should realy have your battery as close to the starter as possible, many of us move the battery down the back to tidy up the engine bay, and then move it back there again after having all of your the problems you've described.
If you are still having problems after all that, then your battery could be the culprit. Go for an Odessy or Ultima, something around 800cca should be sufficient for most cars.

cheers
gus351
Try adding a 12 mm earth lead from the rear of a head direct to the battery , I discovered on one of my Falcons it was fine cold but woulnt crank hot , the new lead solved it. good luck
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech