How to make 400Hp from a 351c???? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2005, 00:05   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Townsville
Posts: 32
How to make 400Hp from a 351c????

Guys,
I have decided that around the 400hp at the engine is what I would like in the XE project. I have read lots of threads and searched but it is a little hard to quantify who best to go about this. I would like some opinions and costs if I can. The main question I have is can I do this with a good condition bottom end and 2V heads? I haven't bought anything yet but I figure that if I have to start spending money on a stronger bottom end and aftermarket heads then it isn't going to be cost effective. Just at a side note the car will be running a C4 with a mild shift kit and probably around a 2200-2800 rpm stall convertor. The diff ratio is open for comment but I was thinking around 3.77:1 would be a good start. If I can run mid to low 13's in the full bodied car I would be very happy.

Paul
nelpd96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-18-2005, 02:03   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
STROKEXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,373
Re: How to make 400Hp from a 351c????

Easy done.

Standard bottom end assembled with ARP rod bolts with everything machined and balanced well would work fine.

So would 2V heads but suggest a mild porting job, single piece valves, HD valve springs and quality retainers.

Aim for a hydraulic cam around .545 lift and 230-240 duration. Use a decent single plane manifold and Holley 650DP with a decent exhaust system.

I reckon you will need about $3k all up. Mid to high 13's would be more like it.
__________________
STROKEXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:16   #3 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code
 
davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Washington, USA
Posts: 750
Re: How to make 400Hp from a 351c????

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKEXD
Easy done.

Standard bottom end assembled with ARP rod bolts with everything machined and balanced well would work fine.

So would 2V heads but suggest a mild porting job, single piece valves, HD valve springs and quality retainers.

Aim for a hydraulic cam around .545 lift and 230-240 duration. Use a decent single plane manifold and Holley 650DP with a decent exhaust system.

I reckon you will need about $3k all up. Mid to high 13's would be more like it.
...or for about $3k all up and without having to run around so much, you can get an easy 400 HP by taking a look at the complete engine I've shown. Lift is .556" and duration is 244 @.050" hydraulic cam. Though it is a 4V engine with a 4-bolt block, not a 2V engine.

Hopefully this "plug" won't be taken inappropriately in this thread <grin>

:davis:
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 14:08   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
northiam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Victoria. Australia
Posts: 381
Re: How to make 400Hp from a 351c????

My specs are:
Cleveland 351
Stock bottom end
ARP rod bolts
ACL race pistons .020 oversize
Zero decked block
302 2V closed chamber heads, 2V valves, some unshrouding, polished chambers, DIY mild porting, hardened ex seats, 62 cc chambers, crow dual springs. 10.9:1 CR
Crow Cam 21626 (tiny baby solid) 238 deg @ 0.050
YT roller rockers
Parker Funnel Web 2V manifold
Holley 750HP Double pumper
Pacemaker tri-y,s dual 21/2 exhaust
3200 hi stall converter C4 Trans stage 3 shift kit
3.5:1 9” rear gears

Dynoed @ 280rwhp (209rwkw)
¼ mile ET 13.36 / 103.5 mph (These numbers were with stuffed stock FMX)
I reckon flat 13 now I've sorted the trans out!
All under $4K. XA falcon, It's a daily driver with power steering gets 350km to the tank
northiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 17:11   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Townsville
Posts: 32
Re: How to make 400Hp from a 351c????

Thanks guys, sounds like it is pretty easy to do. Northiam do you know what sort of power you are making with your combo? I really appreciate the input guys. I haven't played with V8's much and I am just trying to get my head around a couple of combos that should work well.

Paul
nelpd96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 17:12   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Townsville
Posts: 32
Re: How to make 400Hp from a 351c????

Davis,
I appreciate the offer but getting the engine from the US to Australia would be more trouble than it is worth.

Paul
nelpd96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 17:56   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
xdclevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cairns
Posts: 1,946
Re: How to make 400Hp from a 351c????

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelpd96
Thanks guys, sounds like it is pretty easy to do. Northiam do you know what sort of power you are making with your combo? I really appreciate the input guys. I haven't played with V8's much and I am just trying to get my head around a couple of combos that should work well.

Paul
You would have to say at least 370 hp at the flywheel. It is most probably between there and 400. No way to tell for sure without yanking the motor and dynoing.
Most people will be surprized how well a car runs with a REAL 350 fwhp. Dont get talked into 400,500 hp motors if you thats not what you are really after. I have approx 400 hp and could do a mid 12 easy in a full weight XD with conservative stall and diff gears..
__________________
10.70 @ 125.00 on the black fun top
408 Cube Cleveland.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 18:34   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
STROKEXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,373
Re: How to make 400Hp from a 351c????

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
You would have to say at least 370 hp at the flywheel. It is most probably between there and 400. No way to tell for sure without yanking the motor and dynoing.
Most people will be surprized how well a car runs with a REAL 350 fwhp. Dont get talked into 400,500 hp motors if you thats not what you are really after. I have approx 400 hp and could do a mid 12 easy in a full weight XD with conservative stall and diff gears..
You should have more than 400 HP with your combo.

As a good reference my last motor combo Sig Erson hydraulic cam .545 lift, 245 duration and less porting on the current 2V heads went 380 real HP on an engine dyno. Much less cam and inferior heads to you.

With that 380 FWHP best was a 14.1 quarter with conservative stall, diff gears and heavy weight (all Fairmont Ghia stuff).

So to run mid 12's it takes a lot more than 400 FWHP.

"I have approx 400 hp and could do a mid 12 easy in a full weight XD" That statement is crap. You should have way more than 400HP but no where enough to get anywhere into the 12's.

Why don't you do it?
__________________
STROKEXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 19:04   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
xdclevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cairns
Posts: 1,946
Re: How to make 400Hp from a 351c????

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKEXD
You should have more than 400 HP with your combo.

As a good reference my last motor combo Sig Erson hydraulic cam .545 lift, 245 duration and less porting on the current 2V heads went 380 real HP on an engine dyno. Much less cam and inferior heads to you.

With that 380 FWHP best was a 14.1 quarter with conservative stall, diff gears and heavy weight (all Fairmont Ghia stuff).

So to run mid 12's it takes a lot more than 400 FWHP.

"I have approx 400 hp and could do a mid 12 easy in a full weight XD" That statement is crap. You should have way more than 400HP but no where enough to get anywhere into the 12's.

Why don't you do it?
I made 279 on the the Dynamic test sytem dyno and 278 on the Dyno dynamics dyno(288 no aircleaner)
I cant see it having much more than 400 fwhp. I have had some fun with other cars that have been on the same dyno, and win easily(private property yofcoarse).
VT Gen111 comm 398 rwhp, 6 speed with 3.9 gears.
1000kg MR2 turbo 257rwhp, 12.8 113mph with street tyres
Must be the torque of the old cleveland.
__________________
10.70 @ 125.00 on the black fun top
408 Cube Cleveland.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 20:50   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
STROKEXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,373
Re: How to make 400Hp from a 351c????

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
I made 279 on the the Dynamic test sytem dyno and 278 on the Dyno dynamics dyno(288 no aircleaner)
I cant see it having much more than 400 fwhp. I have had some fun with other cars that have been on the same dyno, and win easily(private property yofcoarse).
VT Gen111 comm 398 rwhp, 6 speed with 3.9 gears.
1000kg MR2 turbo 257rwhp, 12.8 113mph with street tyres
Must be the torque of the old cleveland.
Who does your tuning? Maybe you ought to go somewhere else, give it more timing or something.

Yep 1000kg MR2 bit less HP than you does 12.8's, then you need a lot more HP to shift a 1500kg car (like 50% more) just to make it equal. So if you beat him in a drag, either traction for the MR2 is not there, or you've got more HP than you think. But somethings not ringing true about that, it doesn't make sense on the maths.

Take it down the drags and post a number...!
__________________
STROKEXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:51.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.