Are Hypatec pistons any good? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2005, 22:00   #1 (permalink)
Nod

Are Hypatec pistons any good?

Hi all, I'm currently trying to select some Hypereutictic pistons for a stroker buildup I'm doing and cant find much info on the Hypatec range online.
Has anyone had any experience with these pistons, are they any good and how do they compare to other brands?.
thanks
Nod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2005, 01:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: Are Hypatec pistons any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nod
Hi all, I'm currently trying to select some Hypereutictic pistons for a stroker buildup I'm doing and cant find much info on the Hypatec range online.
Has anyone had any experience with these pistons, are they any good and how do they compare to other brands?.
thanks
i have used hyperutictic in a hot 460, i think the brand was right way not 100% on that though they were great,copped a severe beating and never had a problem with them.i used them because of cost was a issue but they were fine for the use intended.
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 03:53   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

hyperutictic are not a brand tmk..They are pistons high in silicon content so they can run tight clearances and wear very well..The std pistons in roller 5.0 are hypo pistons...Then it depends on brand..They are better than budget cast pistons...
Imo with the rod ratio 347's have these pistons are ideal...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 04:16   #4 (permalink)

Hypatec are a brand of pistons. The make both hypereutectic and forged pistons.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 06:15   #5 (permalink)

Only thing wrong with those pistons they dont like detonation. I had a bit once and it took the skirting off LOL. Forged pistons are cheap now. You can get a set of TRW forged pistons for $450.
crochunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 18:09   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nod
thanks
l have used alot of the KB hyper pistons in motors , even in a blown bb chev
which made 850hp and had no trouble with them .Just make sure there is enough ring gap or you rip off your crown
ALKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 18:28   #7 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Hypatec are a brand of pistons. The make both hypereutectic and forged pistons.
Ahh I though it was a typo...I can hardly say hypereutectic let alone type it....There is possibly 2 milliseconds between Forged and hypo pistons when it comes to BAD detonation....In thin wall engines like these the tighter the piston to cylinder wall the better..Early forged pistons ran big clearances and split bores no end...More of an issue I guess with engine assembly / clearance rather that what pistons are used...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 18:57   #8 (permalink)
Conan

I have the liquid forged ones in a race 308 holden (cough) V8 and they have been great for 8000rpm and 650hp with a shot of nos. I would use them again in the future.
Old 07-03-2005, 19:52   #9 (permalink)
XFFAIRMONT

Just curious, what kinda NOS shot can the hypeutectics take. I am running these and the cam i am running is supposed to be well suited to NOS. This is in a cleveland, don't think i'll risk it anyhow, but just interested in knowing.
Old 07-03-2005, 20:07   #10 (permalink)
Conan

The 308 has 430hp naturally aspirated and runs 11.9 without gas. I have only run 50hp of gas on the track and pulled 11.2 before smashing the diff. On the rolling road we have gassed it up with 200hp before it spun the tyres. The engine screamed like hell, but showed no signs of being damaged. New diff, axles, uni joint, and clutch have been installed ready to try the 200hp on the track.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech