Originally Posted by 71 Torino
The 429 is a Ford Racing Crate Motor. The engine will not be for racing on the track, I just want a cruiser, but fast, quick and responsive when I need it to be. i also what some reliability, meaning I would want a engine which could last 70K, but make over 425 horses
Your 385 suggestion is interesting. Can you tell me what components you use to make that kind of power, and what drive train set up did you use.
The 385-series is the 429-460 engine block. I highly doubt that the 429 you're considering is a BB. Why go less than 460 with a replacement engine? It must be a stroker SB.
My 520" stroker 385-series engine was based on a 429 Super Cobra Jet 4-bolt main block. It used a Scat 9000-series stroker kit, which is a very inexpensive way to make a boat load of torque. I topped it off with a set of A429 (Jon Kaase) Cobra Jet bare cylinder heads that we're used in "out of the box" condition with only the valvetrain components added...so that I could get the exact springs I wanted on it, etc., rather than ordering up a set of "pre-assembled" heads.
I ran a Dominator, but it didn't need it. FMS makes both a 4150 and a 4500 style inlet manifold for this engine with these heads.
Made 667 HP and 648 TQ. It made over 600 foot pounds from 4000-6800 RPM. I ran a dished piston that gave 9.5:1 compression, even though I could have done quite a bit more compression with the alloy heads, I wanted to be able to run crap pump premo.
The camshaft was an off-the-shelf Comp solid roller. It would have been a fairly hot cam for a 460, but with another 60 cubes, it purred like a kitten.
I had Jere Stahl make me up a set of flanges for it and a set of extractors. For a '71 Torino, you would only have to order up a set of large tube 429 headers, cut the flanges off and weld on the A429 flanges.
The entire engine, including dyno time was about $8500. Very inexpensive and had more grunt than a whale crappin' an aircraft carrier.
In a 2850# car with a C6, 3.89:1 gears and 34.5" tall tires it ran 10.07 with a 6400 RPM pill in the MSD. It regularly ran a 1.19 60-foot, so it had a lot more in it than I was using. I launched it at 4500 RPM. I once left in 2nd gear and ran (can't remember for sure any more) something like a 10.24.
Another full point in compression would work very well, too...and I'd probably go with more camshaft than the one I used, which was Comp PN: 34-710-9 .663"/.663" lift 255/255 duration at .050".
It was a fun runner. I sold the engine after wrecking the car. The engine went to a guy with a 4x4 F250.