Ford Forums banner

I'm Pingin in the heat!!!

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  TruBlu351 
#1 ·
I have a 351 cleveland fully rebuilt 2000 kz ago, running twin gas research and just recently in the heat under medium load my engine is pinging, i have my timing set high but dont want to change it due to performance loss. On the secondary throttle bodie i have taken out the jets so once the secondary opens its plenty rich enough and doesnt ping. Is there anyway i can richin up the fuel on the first throttle bodie? Any help would be muchly appreciated!

#7 ·
G'Day Evil 351, welcome to FF.

If you were running petrol I'd have a few ideas for you, but the only thing I could say is reduce your timing....even 1-2* may do the trick. In the mean time, don't intentionally let it ping....can do some damage.

As for the pics.........

Click on the "vehicle gallery" button on the left under your avatar. Then on the top right, click on the "upload photos" button. Use the "browse" button to search for the pics on your PC and then UPLOAD!

Looking forward to seeing some pics of the XE....looks nice.

#8 ·
Evil XE 351 said:
I have a 351 cleveland fully rebuilt 2000 kz ago, running twin gas research and just recently in the heat under medium load my engine is pinging, i have my timing set high but dont want to change it due to performance loss. On the secondary throttle bodie i have taken out the jets so once the secondary opens its plenty rich enough and doesnt ping. Is there anyway i can richin up the fuel on the first throttle bodie? Any help would be muchly appreciated!
Best thing to do is to have it properly tuned by a gas research tuner on the dyno to get the mixtures right, and to play with the timing. More timing does not always mean more performance, as I found with my engine on the dyno.
If you havn't had your dizzy regraphed for the gas that will be the problem.
Also out hear in VIC the best gas is from BP if you can't get 100% propane mix, so perhaps try their gas first.

#9 ·
Evil XE 351 said:
has it been recurved for gas ?
petrol /gas run differing cirves , there is an ignition kit you can build and set up for two curves , sorry I cant find the url

#10 ·
hi evil XE 351,
one thing that comes to mind is your fuel.
LPG is a mixture of propane and butane. This mixture varies like normal fuel according to seasonal variation.

You may be stuck with a batch of winter fuel which is higher in butane that summer fuel, more of what we get up here in QLD, cos its hot

Summer fuel has higher ratios of propane (better at absorbing combustion heat and resisting detonation)

Maybe try using up all of your gas and getting to a busy service station who turn over their gas supplies faster could be the go.

Go the V8 BBQ!!

cheers
gus351

#11 ·
Two things I can think of

1) the mechanical advance sounds like it's too fast.
2) drop a 160F thermostat in it.

Questions?

* How much total advance is the engine running?
* What are the mixtures like?
* What are the engine temps like?

#12 ·
gus351 said:
hi evil XE 351,
one thing that comes to mind is your fuel.
LPG is a mixture of propane and butane. This mixture varies like normal fuel according to seasonal variation.

You may be stuck with a batch of winter fuel which is higher in butane that summer fuel, more of what we get up here in QLD, cos its hot

Summer fuel has higher ratios of propane (better at absorbing combustion heat and resisting detonation)

Maybe try using up all of your gas and getting to a busy service station who turn over their gas supplies faster could be the go.

The dizzy has been fully regraphed i am running and are only running 100% propane, i had my engine tuned for propane so if i was to put autogas in her she would be pingin throughout the whole throttle motion, i found today it wasnt pingin at all i turned the timing down 1.5* and its all good, Thanks for your help but yeah had to turn the timing down in the end. Still hot as tho check my garage... ( i love my car so much LOL)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.