Importing a car or altered from the USA - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2005, 23:10   #1 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

Importing a car or altered from the USA

My mate (aka "buddy" for you yanks) and I are going to the US in Sep/Oct 2006 and he would like to bring back either a hot street car or an altered (maybe both).

I'm planning on getting some bits and pieces to make my old XE go a bit faster. Most of my mates have Chevs or turbo ricers, so I've gotta wave our blue flag with confidence.

We'll take the wives 'cos someone's gotta carry the bags (the luggage that is - not the wives). Oh dear, I hope Bev doesn't read this

Does anybody know someone here in Perth who offers an importing service?

Can anybody please give me some tips, info and what-not-to-do's?
Thanks.
Rhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2005, 00:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: Importing a car or altered from the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett
My mate (aka "buddy" for you yanks) and I are going to the US in Sep/Oct 2006 and he would like to bring back either a hot street car or an altered (maybe both).

I'm planning on getting some bits and pieces to make my old XE go a bit faster. Most of my mates have Chevs or turbo ricers, so I've gotta wave our blue flag with confidence.

We'll take the wives 'cos someone's gotta carry the bags (the luggage that is - not the wives). Oh dear, I hope Bev doesn't read this

Thanks.
1st tip, don't fill your hand luggage with go fast bits.......like a line locker for example! I almost got jumped in Vegas thinking it was a bomb etc Stooopid amateur security guards.......missed my damn flight too. Keep 'em in your big suitcase!

Where in the US are you going to?

You could start internet ordering NOW so you have a full suit case when you get there.

If you order over the net from a company (eg: Summit/Jegs) outside the US state you'll be living in, then all items are GST free. Saves you a bit compared to buying over the counter.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:02   #3 (permalink)

Try these links for whole drag cars.

Simon has another real good website with engines and cars - can't remember the link.

Few thousand drag cars here!

http://www.racingjunk.com/exec/ca/browse/1/

http://www.racecar2000.com/classifieds/main.asp

http://drag.race-cars.com/carsales/carsales.htm

http://www.dragstuff.com/parts.html

Is this a little too fast for you?

Or are you going to start off with one of these?

Old 11-01-2005, 01:17   #4 (permalink)

Quote:

Thanks.
Be aware if you want street rego the car will need a full engineering check and considering some us states only spec head light hight for basic rego you may have somework ahead to make rego , good luck and if you have the cash fill a 20ft container with core motors form the wreckers , your trip will then cost nothing.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:39   #5 (permalink)

Quote:

Thanks.
Funny you should mention that.I have been thinking about doing the same thing. I have a contact in SoCal that i met on a trip to the states so maybe i could shack up with him again. I would like to bring back a container large enough to fit two cars,perhaps a couple of early stangs and load the rest with other bits if room permits. How much does shipping something like this cost? Anyone?
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 20:41   #6 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
Where in the US are you going to?
Landing in LA, hitting Orange County, then heading to Vegas, then bee-lining towards NY making lots of stops along the way, back west to Utah, then exiting from San Francisco. Will probably fly more then drive so we can cover more sites, plus I think internal flights are pretty cheap anyway.

I’ve got friends in Utah where I’ll have Jegs/Summit mail the gear to for me to pick up and place in my LARGE suitcase (you silly, silly man). Thanks for the tip Adrian. I probably would have done the same thing for weight distribution = no excess baggage charges $$$. We’re taking 3 kids as well, so they’ll be my mules.

PS - Simon is actually who I'm going with. He's thinking of racing a bucket at the Motorplex to help advertise and promote his newly acquired mechanical business, (Osborne Motors).

I like the look of that 'big block' junior dragster (NOT !).......
Old 11-02-2005, 22:27   #7 (permalink)

Hi Rhett,
My business partner and i regularly bring in containers of stock from the USA.

For a forty foot container (enough for two cars) and a pile of other bits it will cost you about AUS$3600-3800 in shipping. That is from the port of Los Angeles to the port of Brisbane.

It usually takes approx 6 weeks on the water and about a week to ten days at both ends to allow for loading and ship arrival/departure etc..

Expect to pay a few hundred more on top for cusstoms duties and clearance charges, some GST may be applicable too.

We use Victory Logistics. Try them on 02 9666 1233

Cheers
gus351
gus351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 20:20   #8 (permalink)

Rhett, there is a dude on the same street as super roo in armadale (opposite side about half way along) he brings in all sorts of yank stuff all the time, stangs, cadies, Chevy trucks, anything basically. I think he then converts them to RHD in his work shop and sells them.

Might be worth you dropping in there at some stage and having a yarn.

Sorry dont know his name or contact but he is pretty friendly Ive spoken to him about some stuff he had there a while back.
Old 11-03-2005, 20:28   #9 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_esp
Rhett, there is a dude on the same street as super roo in armadale (opposite side about half way along), he brings in all sorts of yank stuff all the time, stangs, cadies, Chevy trucks, anything basically. I think he then converts them to RHD in his work shop and sells them. Might be worth you dropping in there at some stage and having a yarn. Sorry dont know his name or contact but he is pretty friendly. I've spoken to him about some stuff he had there a while back.
thanks guys for your very useful feedback. Much appreciated !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech