Inner valve springs in, timing is way out?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2004, 01:28   #1 (permalink)

Inner valve springs in, timing is way out??

I finally fitted the inner valve springs today, and cranked up this arvo, but it was idling way high. I checked the timing at a lower 900 rpm, and i have 36 degrees initial. If i rev up a bit, its usual advance comes in and goes past 50 total. I have checked the dizzy gear pin and balancer, but all fine. It acually runs SWEET at 36 initial, but was hard to turn over. All leads are in order. It is like the dizzy jumped a gear on the cam, but that is impossible without breaking a tooth or something. Can the inside of the distributor assembley slip around somehow putting the timing out.
Is there something i am missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2004, 02:42   #2 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

Re: Inner valve springs in, timing is way out??

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
I finally fitted the inner valve springs today, and cranked up this arvo, but it was idling way high. I checked the timing at a lower 900 rpm, and i have 36 degrees initial. If i rev up a bit, its usual advance comes in and goes past 50 total. I have checked the dizzy gear pin and balancer, but all fine. It acually runs SWEET at 36 initial, but was hard to turn over. All leads are in order. It is like the dizzy jumped a gear on the cam, but that is impossible without breaking a tooth or something. Can the inside of the distributor assembley slip around somehow putting the timing out.
Is there something i am missing?
What are you using to check the timing?
How did you turn the motor over when you reset the rockers?
Maybe the outer ring on your balancer moved?
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 03:03   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
What are you using to check the timing?
How did you turn the motor over when you reset the rockers?
Maybe the outer ring on your balancer moved?
With a timing light
Used the trusty 15/16 socket on the front of the crank with sparkplugs out
I checked the romac balancer i have, and it is spot on.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:45   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

If it's advancing to 50 total I'd think you dizzy needs looking at. With your cam you should be running 32-40 total max. The total will depend on compression and fuel etc. Your mechanical advance must off its nuts! What dizzy are you running.

btw : The romac balancers are nice aren't they I run one myself. 360 deg of timing marks. Bloody fantastic.

[edit]I had weird dizzy stuff happen when I tried out a bosch factory XD style dizzy I was offered. It dialed in 28 deg total @ 2800rpm. At 3000rpm it retarded itself and dropped back to 18 total! That dizzy was trashed!

Brenden
Old 12-30-2004, 05:02   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
If it's advancing to 50 total I'd think you dizzy needs looking at. With your cam you should be running 32-40 total max. The total will depend on compression and fuel etc. Your mechanical advance must off its nuts! What dizzy are you running.

btw : The romac balancers are nice aren't they I run one myself. 360 deg of timing marks. Bloody fantastic.

[edit]I had weird dizzy stuff happen when I tried out a bosch factory XD style dizzy I was offered. It dialed in 28 deg total @ 2800rpm. At 3000rpm it retarded itself and dropped back to 18 total! That dizzy was trashed!

Brenden
It is an XD electronic with MSD 6AL, but have had the distributor, setup and reco'ed by a mob in Melbourne about 2 years ago. I have done one thing that was a problem, which is the adjustable reluctor (i thinks thats what its called). It had moved a bit, making the 3 of the 8 contacts touch on one side. I adjusted so it didn't contact, and put the dizzy back in, and it seems to be running fine. I still might get it looked at just in case. Its now on 14 initial and 34 total.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:43   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Much better. You could go some more initial say 16 and 36 total. That should still be safe but listen for any detonation. See how you go as they love about 14-18 inital and 32->40 total with your camshaft. I run 14 initial and 38 total if I remember correctly otherwise it's 12 inital and 36 total. I'm definate with the 2V's it was 14 initial and 38 total.

Brenden
Old 12-30-2004, 07:16   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Much better. You could go some more initial say 16 and 36 total. That should still be safe but listen for any detonation. See how you go as they love about 14-18 inital and 32->40 total with your camshaft. I run 14 initial and 38 total if I remember correctly otherwise it's 12 inital and 36 total. I'm definate with the 2V's it was 14 initial and 38 total.

Brenden
The last time i was on the dyno with the rooted cam, i had 18 initial, but there was a bit of detonation, so we ended up on 14. I would say things should be different now, with good cam and the better fuel. I will see what i can get safely if i get back to the dyno. I just went for spin and its going good, but started to rain, so i cant really get a good indication yet.

ps, the Romacs are good. I wonder if they can spin too like old ford ones, or if they have some built in prevention?? Still, they work faultlessly.
Old 12-30-2004, 15:21   #8 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Mines solid steel no dampening. Is yours like that? If so? It has no chance of spinning ever.

Brenden
Old 12-31-2004, 18:47   #9 (permalink)

I had to TOW my falcon home yesterday. I went for a good drive and the dreaded dizzy (i think) acted up again. Just before it did, i did its first hard run with the new springs in. 7000 rpm first and second and ??? in 3rd. Then 1 minute later, splutered to a stop. Its now like the timing is reatarded.
I hope its not the MSD shitting itself. The distributor is still in the correct position, so its a mystery, but "just" starts and backfires, then stalls.
Old 12-31-2004, 18:55   #10 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

What a pain in the arse that is! Unhook the box and take it out of the equation. If that doesn't solve it? You know where your at and what to do with the dizzy. I can't wait to run my new spring setup. I've gone doubles with a dampener.

Have you checked/kept an eye on your fuel pressure. As what your decribing is sort of what happened on my 11.96 sec 1/4 pass. I got full rpm in 1st, 2nd almost got full rpm and sort of stumbled and in 3rd I ran out of fuel. Due to me having the stock tank and pickup the fuel system couldn't recover quickly enough. So bascially what I had is a lean state (not good).

Brenden
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech