Installing Gear Drive, Cleveland - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2004, 03:31   #1 (permalink)

Installing Gear Drive, Cleveland

I have just bought myself a geardrive setup for my clevo and was just after some advice for installing it. it did not come with any instructions so im just after some hints or tips.
cheers john
xeturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2004, 03:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: Installing Gear Drive, Cleveland

What sort?
I'll give you one tip, if you value your C
Fit a double row timing chain!!!!!
Old 11-15-2004, 03:49   #3 (permalink)
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch

why whats wrong with a gear drive?
Old 11-15-2004, 03:49   #4 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

We have had this debate before do you whant it for the noise or performance. If you whant my advice dont do it, i had one in my last motor and it made one hell of a mess chewed out five or six valve collets two snaped valve springs not to mention all of the metal in the oil pick-up. It is not realy some thing you would run on the street if you whant a blower sound get a blower. Or go to page four of this link.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:08   #5 (permalink)

i want both the performance and i dont mind the noise either. i opted for the geardrive as the life of them out does timing chains and i thought it would be a good investment for longevity of the timing system, and also the performance benefits. im open to discussion here as id like to find the pros and cons of it.
thanks for your advice so far aswell.
xeturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:26   #6 (permalink)

I'm not an expert on gear drives, but i have heard lots of peoples experiances and they have been quite mixed. I have allways run chains, and never ever had problems. If you insist on running a gear drive, atleast run the best you can find. It is supposed to be the single idler type, not the duel idler. Others here have had problems with certain types, so do a search and see what you can find. It was only about 3 weeks ago..
Old 11-15-2004, 14:36   #7 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeturbo
i want both the performance and i dont mind the noise either. i opted for the geardrive as the life of them out does timing chains and i thought it would be a good investment for longevity of the timing system, and also the performance benefits. im open to discussion here as id like to find the pros and cons of it.
thanks for your advice so far aswell.
You dont realy need the gear drive unless your are going to run BIG horse power. I have one in a MRK1 cortina drag car only because the engine builder told me it would be a good idea ( it has 700 odd rwhp) and my street car has the good old timing chain( it has 450 rwhp) again and after what happened to it with the gear drive i am considering taking it out of the Cortina. This just my experience with them the and it was the singel idler Milodon type so it was not cheap,and most people italk to theres day all say the same thing, if you whant to drag race go the gear drive if you whant reliabilty go with the timing chian.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 05:58   #8 (permalink)

Yep, concur with above statements. And yes, you're probably thinking "bugger", I just forked out $300. You can sell it in the paper.

I just removed my JP Performance gear drive 2 weeks ago. It had been in for 2 years and was starting to make some suspicious abnormal sounds. After removal, the faces on the idler gears and crank sprocket were chewed out. I caught it before some major damage could have occurred, ie: teeth letting go, metal bits in sump etc.

I was ONCE under the impression that they were the only way to go, but this is only for a RACE/DRAG car, not a daily driver OR a car definitely only driven small trips on weekends. One website says they're good for a lifetime but that's absolute BS IMO. Yes you can fit one, but be prepared to remove it later.

One other point mentioned previously is that the noise/vibration is transferred to the crank and bearings and doesn't do you any favours when driven hours at a time. Recommend a Rollmaster double row 9 keyway chain, only $100.

Here's some pics of my chewed out gear drive.
Old 11-16-2004, 15:07   #9 (permalink)
methanol injected clevo

from my research i've found that geardrives in cleveland street motors is a bad idea...

1981 XD Ex-Interceptor - 393C, AFD 4Vs, Methanol Injection, Powerglide

1994 ED XR8 Sprint - 347W, 5-speed, 3.9s

http://hi-performance.net
xr8_sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 00:31   #10 (permalink)

TruBlu351, i wonder if that altered your cam timing much with that wear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech

Related Reading: Installing Gear Drive, Cleveland