Ford Forums banner

Installing a Piston Backwards

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  gs1973 
#1 ·
Hey guys
Ever heard of guys installing pistons backwards on the con rods to get less friction? I have heard this a few times but never really paid much attention. How does it work? Can same be applied to clevelands/windsors?

Here is an extract from an article from www.hotrod.com I know its for a chevy but what?

The article is about building an eleven seond car for around 2500 bucks.

The pistons are four-eyebrow, 0.030-oversize cast-aluminum goodies from PAW at $83 a set. Jo uses an old Chrysler big-block trick and installs them backwards on the rods to reduce friction. Dyno testing has shown it to be worth 5 hp.

#2 ·
Rhett Walker said:
Hey guys
Ever heard of guys installing pistons backwards on the con rods to get less friction? I have heard this a few times but never really paid much attention. How does it work? Can same be applied to clevelands/windsors?

Here is an extract from an article from www.hotrod.com I know its for a chevy but what?

The article is about building an eleven seond car for around 2500 bucks.

The pistons are four-eyebrow, 0.030-oversize cast-aluminum goodies from PAW at $83 a set. Jo uses an old Chrysler big-block trick and installs them backwards on the rods to reduce friction. Dyno testing has shown it to be worth 5 hp.
Well you could , but unless its a top line race car why bother ... and remember they are made that way for a reson... in particular if you dive it on the street .

#6 ·
Rhett Walker said:
So basically its not really worth doing yeah?
I wouldn't say that...It is proven to reduce bore friction and increase mid range torque.All the falcon runners in the seventy's did this trick and believe it or not it is actually easier on your engine not harder!This is why all performance pistons have a central gudgeon pin,the penalty being more piston noise especially when cold.It works by straightening the rod angle basically so if you were starting from scratch i'd buy a set of performance pistons to fit the 6 inch 302 cleveland rod and whack them in the ol' tart! :driver:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.