Intake manifold for 302 Cleveland - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2006, 21:38   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Intake manifold for 302 Cleveland

G'day

I'm running a mild 302 in the XE, nothing serious, has a crane cam with a rev range of approx. 2000-5000rpm, a bit of basic head work just to smooth it out, balanced bottom end and pacemaker 4-2-1 interferance type headers into 2.5" dual then a single 3" over the diff and out the back.

The intake is all standard and seems to run and perform quite well, I'm assuming the Carter can be tuned to suit the motor, it'll be getting dyno'd soon, but I was wondering how much of a difference an aftermarket intake manifold would make to the performance/economy of this engine? I don't want to waste any money on something designed for much higher performance than what I'm looking for with this engine, but if it'll make a noticable difference with the engine set up like this then it may be worth looking at. Also, I really don't want to go to a Holley unless I have to, my understanding is that the Carter is quite a good carby if it's tuned by someone who knows what they're doing

Any suggestions or experiences are welcome
XE302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2006, 21:51   #2 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

Re: Intake manifold for 302 Cleveland

Quote:
Originally Posted by XE302
G'day

I'm running a mild 302 in the XE, nothing serious, has a crane cam with a rev range of approx. 2000-5000rpm, a bit of basic head work just to smooth it out, balanced bottom end and pacemaker 4-2-1 interferance type headers into 2.5" dual then a single 3" over the diff and out the back.

The intake is all standard and seems to run and perform quite well, I'm assuming the Carter can be tuned to suit the motor, it'll be getting dyno'd soon, but I was wondering how much of a difference an aftermarket intake manifold would make to the performance/economy of this engine? I don't want to waste any money on something designed for much higher performance than what I'm looking for with this engine, but if it'll make a noticable difference with the engine set up like this then it may be worth looking at. Also, I really don't want to go to a Holley unless I have to, my understanding is that the Carter is quite a good carby if it's tuned by someone who knows what they're doing

Any suggestions or experiences are welcome
For your set-up it won't make any difference other than save weight, the std cleveland 4 barrel manifold is a good thing for mild applications and the edelbrock performer etc are virtually just copies of the std manifold anyway.
You might want to try a 600 holly but i doubt you'll notice much difference, and it wont pass emmisions tests with the holley anyway.
Old 01-17-2006, 22:54   #3 (permalink)

Yep, agree that your good old stock 4 barrel manifold....heavy thought they may be....will do the trick. Saves you the $, unless you were to find a cheap 2nd hand Performer.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:28   #4 (permalink)
ESP Man

Don't know what state your in but from an old mag article the Carter guru tuner was a bloke in SA but can't recall the name
Old 01-22-2006, 21:55   #5 (permalink)
The Prince Of Darkness

i heard the 4v intake on 2v heads is good combo
Spider_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 22:26   #6 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider_GT
i heard the 4v intake on 2v heads is good combo
Why would that be a good combo?

So the air coming thru the inlet runner can crash into the side of the head and slow down and have to swirl around to get into the head port - I don't think so.

Ask whoever you heard it from to show you some dyno sheets comparing the 4v and 2v manifolds bolted up to the same engine
Old 01-22-2006, 23:53   #7 (permalink)
The Prince Of Darkness

like i said i heard no need to get moody
Spider_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 00:40   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynet
Why would that be a good combo?

So the air coming thru the inlet runner can crash into the side of the head and slow down and have to swirl around to get into the head port - I don't think so.

Ask whoever you heard it from to show you some dyno sheets comparing the 4v and 2v manifolds bolted up to the same engine
This at face value seems like a spazoid idea!!....but Kostecki Engines in Perth have done this plenty of times. They say its good for about an extra 15ft/lbs of torque. You'd think that the turbulence caused by high rpm airflow would have to create problems....but they recommended the idea to me! They have inhouse dyno's and all that gear, and they do make some tuff engines.

When fitting it though, you have to close your eyes, because it just looks wrong

I think I'd refer the port matched setup though.
Old 01-23-2006, 20:29   #9 (permalink)

try a torque power duel plane they make great manifolds for clevelands
i have one of there single planes magic manifold there duel plane is a high rise to looks cool and works well WWW.TORQUE-POWER.COM.AU
10secondET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 15:21   #10 (permalink)

Stick with what you have and get a dyno tune.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech