intake sealing - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2005, 21:09   #1 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

intake sealing

what's eveyones prefered method for sealing the intake to the block? are the cork gaskets a waste of time? bear in mind this is without the tin valley cover.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2005, 21:22   #2 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

Re: intake sealing

Go the Felpro route. They do a good intake kit gasket and rubber end seals. I dont use the ends seals myself I just use silicon, torque it down slowly and you shouldnt have a problem.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 21:45   #3 (permalink)

Cork ones just get me angry! and always start leaking.....although plenty of people hear have success with them. They are called valley cover gaskits.

I too prefer the big bead of silicon, rest the manifold on top, tq it as mentioned, then let it set for 24hrs and trim off excess. Make sure you use a good engine parts cleaner to prepare the metal surface for better bonding (not degreaser).........spray on a clean rag and wipe it over.

Whilst on the topic, I also use a silicon bead around each of the ports on my intake manifold gaskits. Poor sealing ones allow engine oil to be sucked up into the ports. Some come wth a built in bead.
Old 04-24-2005, 21:09   #4 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Yeah I recommend the Felpro gasket kit. The kit I bought came with cork valley gaskets and I didn't have a problem with them. Use a little bit of sealant on each corner of the cork gasket and a little bit in the middle just to stop it from moving around and watch it closely as you torque it up. Worked fine for me.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 21:50   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG33PY
what's eveyones prefered method for sealing the intake to the block? are the cork gaskets a waste of time? bear in mind this is without the tin valley cover.
never ever use the cork unless you have brand new heads that have not been decked,even then i would not use them.use ultra blue silicon a little expensive but is the best by far
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:06   #6 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Ultra Blue or better still Ultra Copper.

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:02   #7 (permalink)

I've tried many times to seal the inlet manifold and I found the best method was to firstly buy the correct gaskets, If you go to 5 different auto stores chances are you'll get 5 different gaskets all with varying gasket thickess. Stay away from the cheapo "gas miser" brand they are way to thin, especially if the heads and block have been machined. Go the thicker gasket !!! to avoid problems.....A good quick check is place the dry gaskets on the heads place the manfold on and make sure the bolt holes line up nice and easy..look into the manifold and check the ports to the head ports.. Ditch the end cork gaskets, they are simply shit... Run a nice bead of ultra blue/black along the ends of both the block and the inlet manifold, using your finger coat both sides of the gasket with the ultra blue. Then carefully place the manifold on the motor... Do the bolts up and bingo you done... no leaks.
xb351coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:06   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Ultra Blue or better still Ultra Copper.
ive never heard of ultra copper is it sensor safe,where do i get it,how much is a cartridge compared to ultra blue
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:24   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece1
ive never heard of ultra copper is it sensor safe,where do i get it,how much is a cartridge compared to ultra blue
Similiar price to ultra blue.($12-$15 for 95gm tube) and is sensor safe. I dont think copper comes in a cartige. I've tried (and sold) them all and now prefer ultra grey, as it doesn't stand out like blue and copper and works really well too.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:58   #10 (permalink)

dont use too much silicone or it will end up in your oil pick up
nobody wants that
old falcon fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech