Lead Replacement - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2004, 03:18   #1 (permalink)
gsw
XA GS FAIRMONT 302

Lead Replacement

I have heard lead replacement petrol will be gone by the end of the year. I was just wondering what everybody here will use (petrol) and what lead substitute they will use. I am considering using optimax and valvemaster and was wondering if there was a better mix than this and if the engine has to be retuned? If anybody here is already doing this is it better the lead replacement and what problems has there been (if any)?
gsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2004, 04:39   #2 (permalink)
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch

Re: Lead Replacement

i have no evidence to back up this but, LRP is designed to destroy your engine, so that there will be less cars running about that require leaded fuel. the government introduced LRP about 12months before phasing out super so that we would get used to the lower quality fuel and have our cars retuned to suit.

but enough of that rant, your best bet would be to have the hardened exhaust seats installed in your cylinder heads then run premuim if thats not an option run the valve lubricant and use premuim or regular unleaded if the compression ratio of your engine will permit.
RevHeadRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 06:33   #3 (permalink)

BP Ultimate or Optimax............you have to love the new Coles shopping docket discount, save $3 a tank on Optimax!

You may have to reduce your timing a little if you want to run regular unleaded - depending on your engine. Mine pings big time on regular, premium is fine.

Don't run unleaded continually as it will kill your valve seats as mentioned. You can throw in a bottle of valve seat protector with each tank if you don't get the hardened valve seats fitted. At about $8 per bottle its a pain in the ass, but I've just seen a new brand in a small ~50ml white bottle for about $3. There you go, Coles just paid for it!
Old 06-18-2004, 07:51   #4 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevHeadRon
i have no evidence to back up this but, LRP is designed to destroy your engine, so that there will be less cars running about that require leaded fuel. the government introduced LRP about 12months before phasing out super so that we would get used to the lower quality fuel and have our cars retuned to suit.

but enough of that rant, your best bet would be to have the hardened exhaust seats installed in your cylinder heads then run premuim if thats not an option run the valve lubricant and use premuim or regular unleaded if the compression ratio of your engine will permit.
so very true yet so many realise this. i have a A4 size picture and info on what LRP does to an engine. it has a before and after. the before is a brand new rebuilt head all shiny and spick and the after is 5000km later. its all black and burnt with white outlets. if i get around to it i will scan it for you all to see what really happens. i got this from a mechanic and its no bull either. alot of older engines run just fine on normal petrol yet so many dont know this. go the hardend valves and run unleaded, itll save you heaps of money in the long run and you wont have an engine that runs like shit.
Old 06-18-2004, 18:39   #5 (permalink)
The Supreme Machine!

I havn't got hardened valve seats on my 302 cleveland and run unleaded fuel all the time, I use the flashlube valve saver kit that feeds the fluid into your fuel system automaticly without adding it to your tank.

http://www.flashlube.com.au/store/page.pl?id=233

1960 FB Holden Wagon: (Tha Yella Terra) 192ci 6cyl,4spd, 13x7 Chromies.

NA fairlane ghia 5.0
XA_GT_351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 19:45   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

just get hardened seats and SS valves and run whatever the hell you want. It's a bit more expense now but it saves a lot of hassle as I just buy 98 octane unleaded wherever I am and don't worry about adding any crap.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 01:37   #7 (permalink)

i also use flashlube, except in bottle form, round 2.95 a bottle, and that does 50L which suits my tank well. I dont mind using the bottle to fill up if it will save my valve seats in the long run.
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

FOR SALE: 1980 XD, Recently rebuilt 9" disc diff, with 3.25 gears, toploader with hurst shifter kit, 302C, DBA slotted and cross driled rotors, Fairmont interior with modified centre console, jellybean mags, reasonably good condition, driveline will handle 400+rwhp PM FOR PICS asking $3500
XDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 02:20   #8 (permalink)
The SB Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDman
i also use flashlube, except in bottle form, round 2.95 a bottle, and that does 50L which suits my tank well. I dont mind using the bottle to fill up if it will save my valve seats in the long run.
The best bet is to get the hardend seats done and i also use some flashlube on those long runs.I feed it thru the carb via the flashlube bottle.

Introducing the Boss 290 powerplant
The Boss 290 combines the best of both worlds, with race-bred power and everyday comfort. The awe-inspiring Boss 290 is a powerplant unlike any ever built in this country and comes to life on Australia's only current V8 production line.
FPVGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 04:38   #9 (permalink)

Heard the same thing about the lrp being REALLY BAD for your motor.

Morey's upper cylinder lub is another possibility.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:57   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDman
That stuffs dear. Try the Moreys, We sell a litre for $16.00. We also got the kits to plumb into your carbys vac lines to make easier. One litre does 650 litres of fuel. Over the last 4 years i did 20000 km, with std seats and moreys, and the motor copped a caining, and the seats are still fine. Still, getting the hardened seat is the best option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech