Lifter Damage - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2005, 20:21   #1 (permalink)

Lifter Damage

I removed my lifters and found 1 only to have a small mushroom shape where it makes contact with the cam......my reason for checking was I had a small (tap..tap..tap) noise and assumed 1 lifter may have been sticking.

Do you guys think my cam would have suffered any damage... I'm not really ready to pull the motor down yet ??

I would only do less than 5000kms per year in this car....
xb351coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2005, 20:41   #2 (permalink)

Re: Lifter Damage

Who built the motor for you, might have missed that one lobe when lubing it before putting it in, or it might not be getting good oil delivery remembering clevo's are shockers for oil delivery, could be one soft lifter.
if you have a small mirror you might be able to see the lobe, if there is not any scrach's on the lifter face you might be lucky, if there is it will do it to every lifter you put in.
coupe414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 20:54   #3 (permalink)

Have no idea who put it together, was in the car when I got it...but was brought through a mate of a mate and he rattled off a nice list of engine mods at the time... have no reason to doubt him the rest of the car was put together very good. I can't see any marks on the lobe but I really can't get that good a look.
Old 02-18-2005, 21:09   #4 (permalink)

You might have a lazy valve spring or it could be broken, does happen, as for missing things when you built a motor, when i was an apprentice we had a motor up on the test rig that turned very easly, this motor was built by a guy that was a exellent assembler but he forgot to put the timing gears on it, we are all human are we not.
Gave us a good laugh for a while
coupe414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 23:20   #5 (permalink)
xbgt coupe 378 efi

you have taken the one lobe off the cam , you need to dismantle the whole engine & have it chemically cleaned & start rebuilding from there, you can put a new cam in it but the metal will still be in the engine & that may lead to further problems
xbhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 15:05   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb351coupe
I removed my lifters and found 1 only to have a small mushroom shape where it makes contact with the cam......my reason for checking was I had a small (tap..tap..tap) noise and assumed 1 lifter may have been sticking.

Do you guys think my cam would have suffered any damage... I'm not really ready to pull the motor down yet ??

I would only do less than 5000kms per year in this car....
It would most likely of damaged that lobe. If you have a magnetic base and dial indicator, you can check a good lobe at the lifter and see what lift you have. (without rocker fitted). If the damaged one measures less lift than the others, it is definatly stuffed.
Old 02-19-2005, 15:38   #7 (permalink)

If the cam has lost a lobe or two the dial indicator will confirm it. I assume motor was running well apart from this tap noise so I would not hesitate to slide a new cam/lifters into motor. This can be done without removing engine providing aircon is not fitted. Any metal fragments would have long ago found there way into the oil filter.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 17:18   #8 (permalink)

ok, so the safe way would be to fit a new cam. I don't have Aircon so swapping it with the motor in will be the go...
Now for a new cam, what sort of brand/spec's should I look at with the following combo.

351 - 30thou over...4MA Crank, flat top forged pistons...10.5.1 (I think)
2V heads - fitted with 4V Valves, standard rocker gear. oil restrictor kit fitted.
2.5" dual exhaust with extractors & turbo mufflers.
Accel electric dizzy.
Weiand -X-ellator manifold.
750 square bore - vac sec Holley.
FMX - with 2500rpm stall.
9" diff - 3.5 centre.

Car revs great....goes to 6000rpm without any drama.....but have not taken it past that point, will sit there all day long spinning the 15x10 (295 rubber). Was told this car ran a 13.0sec Quarter at eastern creek some years back before it was put into storage. This car is not a daily driver and would love to get into the high 12sec bracket at the creek.
Old 02-19-2005, 17:52   #9 (permalink)
under thumb

Is this a hydro cam that you had in it? If so the oil restrictor kit is most likely the cause of the failure!
With standard rocker gear 530th is about max safe lift but if you were to upgrade to yelle terra adjustable boltons im sure they are good to hi 500s and those times may be made with say a crow 21700 its 242/250@50 in/exh 570th lift on both with a set of springs to match.
Old 02-19-2005, 18:44   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb351coupe
ok, so the safe way would be to fit a new cam. I don't have Aircon so swapping it with the motor in will be the go...
Now for a new cam, what sort of brand/spec's should I look at with the following combo.

351 - 30thou over...4MA Crank, flat top forged pistons...10.5.1 (I think)
2V heads - fitted with 4V Valves, standard rocker gear. oil restrictor kit fitted.
2.5" dual exhaust with extractors & turbo mufflers.
Accel electric dizzy.
Weiand -X-ellator manifold.
750 square bore - vac sec Holley.
FMX - with 2500rpm stall.
9" diff - 3.5 centre.

Car revs great....goes to 6000rpm without any drama.....but have not taken it past that point, will sit there all day long spinning the 15x10 (295 rubber). Was told this car ran a 13.0sec Quarter at eastern creek some years back before it was put into storage. This car is not a daily driver and would love to get into the high 12sec bracket at the creek.

Check the total lift of the lobe against others first to confirm lobe is worn though as this is the easiest fix. Lifters have been known to have internal problems occasionally.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech