Lifters won't pump up - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2003, 04:40   #1 (permalink)
ESP Man

confused Lifters won't pump up

Installed new hydraulic lifters with cam but 2 are clacking badly. Pulled rocker cover off and two rockers can be pushed down 1/4 inch due to lifter compressing.

I'm told that these 2 lifters have not "pumped up" (like the other 14 did) and the only way to fix it is to pull em out and prime them manually.

Any other suggestions before I have to remove the inlet manifold
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2003, 05:04   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Read

Your doing the right thing by replacing the suspect two. Just make sure you check the cam lobe by eye for damage.

Don't regraph the dizzy yet. Just back the timing off to suit. 35 deg could be useful later in life. I'd stick to running with no vacuum advance especially with 35 deg available. If all else fails? A regraph is inevitable.

Just make sure its advancing nicely (smooth). As clevo's tend to chew out dizzy bushings.

Let us know how those 2 new lifters go.

Brenden
Old 06-13-2003, 07:10   #3 (permalink)
ESP Man

Brenx,
I knew I had big problems when I couldn't pull the lifters out. Just got the cam out and its F#$%&d. Managed to drop one of the 3 lifters that wouldn't lift out down into my other hand which I had thru the front cam bearing and its not a pretty sight.

Oil looks clean but there must be metal right thru the motor. Looks like a full rebuild!
I might go with solids next time because its obvious I don't know what I'm doing with hydraulics (although this didn't happen to me last time I changed the cam and I have done everything exactly the same)

Looks like the ESP will be off the road for a while so I can save the pennies to do her up.
Old 06-13-2003, 17:57   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

damn, that's no good ... a full teardown at least to make sure that nothing else is knackered from the bits of metal is a good idea. I have mostly built solid motors but the few hydraulics I built I just pumped up the lifters by turning it over for about 10 seconds with no plugs in then connecting it all up and firing it up.
Given the size of your cam I think you will benefit from solids even if they are a bit more work in the long term.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 18:09   #5 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

Hopefully the bottomend survived.

Brenden
Old 06-15-2003, 01:48   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

How much lift is in cam. With big cams we used to run them in first with just the outer valve spring then put the inners in when warmed and cooled after 20 min running at 2000rpm..
Have you thought of a roller conversion ??? $$
Hopefully no coil bind ??
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 18:32   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Roller conversion on a Cleveland isn't worth the $$$$.

I priced it up for my 351. $900 just for springs! Then titanium retainers/cam shaft etc. End result was well over $3000 just to set up for the roller cam.

It was cheaper to go solid and it came back with change. Solids the best option for anyone who doesn't want to spent $6000+ on the bottomend.

An average person just can't afford that.

Clevo's aren't like windsors. Least late model windsors had a roller setup factory. Which makes a Windsor roller setup relatively cheap.

Brenden
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech