Looking for extractors - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2005, 03:08   #1 (permalink)

confused Looking for extractors

All, I just bought a pair of AFD 2V heads for 351C my Mac1 Mustang. I'm having trouble locating a pair of suitable 4V or 2V extractors that will fit. If anybody has a pair they would like to part with I'd be interested in talking to you. Also I'm having trouble lining up the my inlet manifold ports. I went for a Weiand Xcellerator as Iwas told they should match, but I have found a mismatch of around 5mm. The manifold ports are are low. Has anybody else had this problem?
70Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2005, 03:12   #2 (permalink)

Re: Looking for extractors

[All, I just bought a pair of AFD 2V heads for 351C my Mac1 Mustang. QUOTE]

Geeze I wish was literate. Please read 'for my 351C Mac1..'
Old 12-05-2005, 03:15   #3 (permalink)

Mate, you can use the [edit] button on the left to fix typos like that and then resave it. We would never have seen it!
Old 12-05-2005, 03:37   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Mac1
All, I just bought a pair of AFD 2V heads for 351C my Mac1 Mustang. I'm having trouble locating a pair of suitable 4V or 2V extractors that will fit. If anybody has a pair they would like to part with I'd be interested in talking to you. Also I'm having trouble lining up the my inlet manifold ports. I went for a Weiand Xcellerator as Iwas told they should match, but I have found a mismatch of around 5mm. The manifold ports are are low. Has anybody else had this problem?
Are yours new, or older and second hand ones? That problem should of been fixed.
I bought one of the earlier sets of AFD 2v heads in late 2003 and found my weiand sat approx 5-6mm lower than my head inlet ports. I had a thin set of alloy inlet plates(3mm thick each side) made up that fixed the problem good and lifted the manifold. Since then i got a new TFC manifold off Graham, from Total Flow Cylinderheads and he machined the faces to have an extra 3mm material built in so i could do away with the plates. I got some pictures if you want.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:47   #5 (permalink)
Big Motor Top Loader !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Mac1
You will find that with any aftermarket clevo head that there will be a little matchporting involved when using a 30yr old design manifold, there are other issues such as deck heights that could also cause this. etc.

Did you torque everything down before checking?
xrgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 13:46   #6 (permalink)

Found the pictures. I had to do the following.
Felpro gasket each side = 60thou
Alloy plate =120 thou
Thin gasket on other side of plate = 30 thou
It cost me $200 to get these machined up.

xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 15:32   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Did you have gaskets in there when you checked the ports on the manifold?
Old 12-05-2005, 19:06   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
Found the pictures. I had to do the following.
Felpro gasket each side = 60thou
Alloy plate =120 thou
Thin gasket on other side of plate = 30 thou
It cost me $200 to get these machined up.

next time find a laser cutter , my last two custom flanges cost under$100.00 the pair .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 23:31   #9 (permalink)

All, thanks for the posts. The heads are brand new - supposedly with the port match problems fixed in the latest casting although the info from AFD states that some minor match porting may be required. I rang Dave from AFD today and he was surprised at the amount of difference. I' temporarily bolted the heads on this mornng (not torqured on) to check the clearences and observed the visable port mismatch to be about 5 -6mm. My current thinking rather than having plates made up as you did XDCLEVO is to have the Weiand ports alumimium weld filled to close the gap with the heads, and maybe take a couple mm out of the floor of the AFD inlets. Does this seem like reasonable approach? I'm a bit worried about buggering the flow charcteristics if I take too much out of theheads..
Still looking for extractors. I've been told a I may have to have custom ones made up but I don't like the asking price $2K plus!!
Old 12-05-2005, 23:44   #10 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I gather head gaskets and manifold gaskets are also being dummied up? If not it'll totally screw up your measurements. I'm surprised that there is such a mismatch. I gather the mismatch is in the bottom of the port? The weiand 2V's are quite large. Almost 4V size.

My guess is the same as someone above stated. That block must be decked.

Extractors shouldn't cost that much! Stop going to ones that have massive gold chains around their neck. A set of custom ones for my car are around $1000-$1200aud.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech