Ford Forums banner

Looking for extractors

4K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  70Mac1 
#1 ·
All, I just bought a pair of AFD 2V heads for 351C my Mac1 Mustang. I'm having trouble locating a pair of suitable 4V or 2V extractors that will fit. If anybody has a pair they would like to part with I'd be interested in talking to you. Also I'm having trouble lining up the my inlet manifold ports. I went for a Weiand Xcellerator as Iwas told they should match, but I have found a mismatch of around 5mm. The manifold ports are are low. Has anybody else had this problem?

#4 ·
70Mac1 said:
All, I just bought a pair of AFD 2V heads for 351C my Mac1 Mustang. I'm having trouble locating a pair of suitable 4V or 2V extractors that will fit. If anybody has a pair they would like to part with I'd be interested in talking to you. Also I'm having trouble lining up the my inlet manifold ports. I went for a Weiand Xcellerator as Iwas told they should match, but I have found a mismatch of around 5mm. The manifold ports are are low. Has anybody else had this problem?
Are yours new, or older and second hand ones? That problem should of been fixed.
I bought one of the earlier sets of AFD 2v heads in late 2003 and found my weiand sat approx 5-6mm lower than my head inlet ports. I had a thin set of alloy inlet plates(3mm thick each side) made up that fixed the problem good and lifted the manifold. Since then i got a new TFC manifold off Graham, from Total Flow Cylinderheads and he machined the faces to have an extra 3mm material built in so i could do away with the plates. I got some pictures if you want.

#5 ·
70Mac1 said:
You will find that with any aftermarket clevo head that there will be a little matchporting involved when using a 30yr old design manifold, there are other issues such as deck heights that could also cause this. etc.

Did you torque everything down before checking?

#9 ·
All, thanks for the posts. The heads are brand new - supposedly with the port match problems fixed in the latest casting although the info from AFD states that some minor match porting may be required. I rang Dave from AFD today and he was surprised at the amount of difference. I' temporarily bolted the heads on this mornng (not torqured on) to check the clearences and observed the visable port mismatch to be about 5 -6mm. My current thinking rather than having plates made up as you did XDCLEVO is to have the Weiand ports alumimium weld filled to close the gap with the heads, and maybe take a couple mm out of the floor of the AFD inlets. Does this seem like reasonable approach? I'm a bit worried about buggering the flow charcteristics if I take too much out of theheads..
Still looking for extractors. I've been told a I may have to have custom ones made up but I don't like the asking price $2K plus!!

#10 ·
I gather head gaskets and manifold gaskets are also being dummied up? If not it'll totally screw up your measurements. I'm surprised that there is such a mismatch. I gather the mismatch is in the bottom of the port? The weiand 2V's are quite large. Almost 4V size.

My guess is the same as someone above stated. That block must be decked.

Extractors shouldn't cost that much! Stop going to ones that have massive gold chains around their neck. A set of custom ones for my car are around $1000-$1200aud.

#11 ·
[I gather head gaskets and manifold gaskets are also being dummied up? If not it'll totally screw up your measurements. I'm surprised that there is such a mismatch. I gather the mismatch is in the bottom of the port? The weiand 2V's are quite large. Almost 4V size. My guess is the same as someone above stated. That block must be decked.]

Yep, Ive got the gaskets dummied on - hence my concern and the clearence problem is on the bottom of the port. As you say BRENX the Weiand ports are a bit larger than the 2Vs although a fair bit less than the 4Vs.
Pardon my ignorance what does decking do?

Re the headers. the 2K asking price was for a mob up here at Liverpool.. Way over the top I reckon. There is another mob I rang today and the asking was more reasonable around the 1200 mark - but to get pipes glased is till another 500.

#12 ·
Decking decreases the block height. Clevo = 9.2" You clevo maybe 50-100thou shorter. I know mine was also considerably shorter than it was supposed to be. I had the manifold machined 20thou to get a better port match. Which worked out well as it's a perfect match.

You could deck the heads if you have room for a compression increase. That'll drop them down.

#13 ·
Brenx, I just checked out your web site for the first time - I like it. If my block had been decked that would mean the inlet ports would be sitting lower not higher as they are? The chambers are 64cc so there probably is room to drop the heads a bit - as I don't have a zero deck block height.. probably a 5 thou clearence to the piston flat tops.

#14 ·
Don't deck the heads, or take metal out of the inlet ports. I went through both options when i had this problem, and it wont work trust me. Remember you will have the same opposite problem at the top of the port. You pay all this money for a nice set up, so don't comprimise it all now for the easy answer. The cheapest option is plates, but the best option is what i did 2nd, and buy a new TFC manifold(or whatever your preference), and get them to finish the machining to your spec. You will need an extra 150 thou than a std 2V manifold( Graham at TFC did mine and knows the specs exactly)

Dummy up your manifold with gaskets, and use washers to hold the manifold
up to the right height, then measure the gap each side to see exact amount you need.

#15 ·
[Don't deck the heads, or take metal out of the inlet ports. I went through both options when i had this problem, and it wont work trust me. Remember you will have the same opposite problem at the top of the port. You pay all this money for a nice set up, so don't comprimise it all now for the easy answer. The cheapest option is plates, but the best option is what i did 2nd, and buy a new TFC manifold(or whatever your preference), and get them to finish the machining to your spec. You will need an extra 150 thou than a std 2V manifold( Graham at TFC did mine and knows the specs exactly)

Dummy up your manifold with gaskets, and use washers to hold the manifold
up to the right height, then measure the gap each side to see exact amount you need.]

I looked into getting a TFC and or Torque power, both are really good (also expensive) however, the big problem is air-cleaner / shaker spacing. The TFCs are about 2 -3 inches higher than standard manifolds and they just won't fit.

#17 ·
mustang70 said:
you wont need custom ones made up.you can order form the US,not even that pricey,will find the link and post it later
Ive seen the real thick ones, but i doubt there will be ones approx 150 thou thick like he needs to suit a clevo. The manifold will also need the bolt holes enlongated if using plates. I spent 2 hours with a round file, but should of got a die grinder. :whoaa:

#18 ·
Thanks for the advice XDCLEVO, for now though I'm focussing on getting a port match done. As far as misalignment is concerned - I think it is just the Weiand at fault. I checked a few Edelbrock performers (not going to get one) and the bolt holes line up fine. I've also discovered that there is a spacing problem with the air cleaner / shaker with the Weiand - its about an 1 1/2 inches higher and the bonnet won't close. So I'll have to get a repo aircleaner bottom and have it cut down. I guess that's the problem with getting yankee sport's car. I should have started with XA coupe or something like that!!

#19 ·
#21 ·
yes in the same boat, but i've got a C4 so that probably makes things easier,most of the stuff i found is to fit c4,and i remember a post somewhere where someone had got the hedmans and they wouldnt go in with their FMX. i couldnt find much on suitable pacemakers,all seems to be for windsors on 70 mustangs. a pain isnt it?
ah this is the post ,not that much info though
http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/message/1128522014/Hooker+Headers+and+FMX

#23 ·
yes will let u know,as i said i have some second hand ones on their way from US from a wrecking joint on ebay,they could be garbage but were well priced.they should have been here by now, but with economy mail you just gotta wait..and wait.. otherwise i think i'll go with hedmans as they seem to have a good reputation.yes i imagine you'd be wanting to get it breathing better especially after fitting alloy heads. a gearbox change would save you weight and header problems but its alot of work and money especially if there's nothing wrong with the FMX.

#24 ·
found this
http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/12118-3901FLT.pdf
flowtech ones saying fits all auto trans but i'd want confirmation on this if i were you. mine turned up today,pretty happy with the way they look,1 5/8 primaries,3 inch collector.bit scrappy looking with surface rust,should clean up good,n holes or bad dents.not bad for $35US.now just to keepfingers crossed that they are actually off a 70 mustang and they FIT! if you're curious economy postage from US was about $50US,took 2 months though.

#25 ·
You can't argue with $35 - I'm surprised for that amount they even bothered with your order! What brand is it supposed to be?
I checked out the sites you posted - thanks for that. The following site is pretty good as well. The Flowtechs seem to be the way to go - the Mac1 model and Vin are specifically called up so a Flowtech 12118FLT has got to be close!
http://www.car-stuff.com/flowtechheaders.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.