Manualizing - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2005, 14:08   #1 (permalink)

Manualizing

Hey everyone,

Well, the clevo's still going hard, i'm really happy with it. I've been toying with another idea lately once I finish the current project (A14 powered L80 4x4). I'm thinkin bout converting the XE to a manual g/box. Now, its all easy saying oh just put a toploader behind it, but i want a 5th :(. What options are there? I've head that some T5's fit, but which ones? Are there any other brand box's. Somehow i think a celica 5sp wont hold up to the job. Also, on the inside of the car, is it just a case of adding the clutch pedal? does anyone know if the hole in the tranny tunnel is in the right place for a manual?

If anything what else do i have to take into consideration? I know i gota change the flywheel etc, but what about the nitty gritty things like ass end ratio? At the moment its 2.92:1... Ultimately, should that be changed up to 3 or 3.25?

I'm open to suggestions, so any feedback is apreciated.
xemeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2005, 14:33   #2 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Re: Manualizing

your gearing would be better suited with 3.5 if thats how you like to drive... the current gear will still work though.
You will need a new pedal box avail from superoo falcon spares.
new bell housing + sandwhich plate (can mod old auto one sometimes)
new tailshaft? not sure on your diff etc.. how many yokes etc

has anyone got more info on what T5's are useful behind decent motor's?...........
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 16:52   #3 (permalink)

What about a supra box?
AU Series 1 I6 Futura, 17" XR Series III Rims, Kings superlow springs and Bilstien shocks, K-MAC adjustable caber kit, xr8 snorkle, BMC Filter, EF a/box lid, custom storm water pipeing, pacemakers, h/flow cat, 2 1/2" zorst mandrel bent, dyno'd @ 117.2kwrw b4 bmc
ir33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 17:01   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, i thought about a supra box, but wanted to try to stick with something that came out in a ford. I mean sure, if in doubt anything is an option, but I thought i'd see if anyone else had any information on what ford boxes will fit etc.
Old 02-13-2005, 17:25   #5 (permalink)

pm TruBlu he's recently done a conversion to a 5 speed..
Old 02-14-2005, 04:28   #6 (permalink)

G'Day xemeanmachine. You have one GIANT pm waiting for you

I'd say go the Tremec TKO and forget about the rest but they're way too much $$$ for your application. The next options are Supra or T5. Just a note, TTC (Transmission Technologies Corporation) has taken over a few companies so now a lot of gearboxes get called Tremec now, eg: Tremec T5, which is not the original bullet proof Tremec TKO. Just background info.

Mal Wood in QLD is the best for getting info on kits for a Supra or T5 conversion. He's bailed me out of jail a few times

http://www.malwoodauto.com.au/

Keep scouring your local trading post for guys wrecking whole cars or selling gearbox/conversion parts. Get all the bits cheaply and then perhaps order the other big parts from Mal?? Not sure what he charges for the Supras or T5's. Call him and see which one of those 2 suit best.

Cheers

ps: Still loved my Toploader though. Unless your running 4.11's (like me) and highway driving sends you nuts @ 3500rpm, then consider a toploader, because they'll drink a Supra or T5 under the table. They love you to beat them hard!
Old 02-14-2005, 04:32   #7 (permalink)

xemeanmachine, let me know if the pm arrived?? My PC may have dropped it? I have a saved copy.
Old 02-14-2005, 13:48   #8 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
xemeanmachine, let me know if the pm arrived?? My PC may have dropped it? I have a saved copy.

can you fire me over the same info please and i am also considering a T5 conversiojn very soon....cheers
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 19:53   #9 (permalink)

Sorry mate, the PM hasn't arived yet. Could you please try send it again

Does anyone have any specs i can compair? like gear ratios in the c4 vs toploader? I can work the rpm@speed out myself with that info

Cheers
Old 02-14-2005, 20:12   #10 (permalink)

See attached spreadsheet for Tremec -vse- Toploader.

I've got a word doc with tables comparing the C4 and toploader ratios and speed in gears, can't attach word docs in FF, so if you give me your e-mail I'll send it that way..
Attached Files
File Type: xls Gearbox Driveline Calcs KPH.xls (30.5 KB, 15 views)

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech