Max HP from Std heads - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2005, 00:06   #1 (permalink)

Max HP from Std heads

Guys I know that this is a "how long is a piece of string" question but I am tossing up options for the XE Project and basically what I want to know is assuming that I have the cam, manifolds and carby to match what is the max HP that I can expect from:

2V OC
2V CC
4V OC
4V CC

It is a budget build up so I just can't justify the extra $2500+ for a set of head for it. The alternative at the moment is a 1JZGTE from a soarer as I can probably get one of those in and running for around $3000 and it should be right for around 300rwhp.

Cheers
Paul
nelpd96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2005, 01:16   #2 (permalink)

Re: Max HP from Std heads

If you are starting from scratch (ie have no bits already) and are doing it on a budget I vote for the 2V CC (302) heads.

Go for a small mechanical solid, flat tops, standard bottom end, decent single plane manifold, extractors, 650-750DP Holley and get a mild port job done. With the right cam you should get an honest 350-380HP out of it with lots of torque as well...

Generally speaking a bigger budget means more revs, more HP and the need for 4V heads..
Old 03-02-2005, 00:32   #3 (permalink)

Thanks that is exactly the sort of information that I am looking for. The XE has a six in it at the moment so I will be starting from scratch.

Paul
Old 03-02-2005, 08:01   #4 (permalink)
Nitrous Junkie

Just watch the comp with 2V closed chambers... With a std flat top it gets pushed up to around 10.8:1, which can lead to problems with fuel.

Also bear in mind that you are going to need bronze valve guides, hardened exhaust seats and quality valves if you plan to run ULP... By the time you've done that and had the heads machined for bigger valve springs, roller rockers, and some port work done there won't be all that much change from $2500 anyway.
DJS351XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 00:00   #5 (permalink)

The other thing is guys that I will probably be fuel injecting the engine and running 8 stacks with a slide throttle setup (I can make this at work) so the carb manifold thing isn't an issue mainly looking at what needs to be don to the heads. Why do I need the bronze guides? As for the ahrdened valve seats it is only going to be a cruiser and in my experience you can get about 20,000kms out an std iron head before the valve seats start to receed. That is realistically around 5 years for me and I probably would have sold it by then.

Paul
Old 03-06-2005, 02:46   #6 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKEXD
If you are starting from scratch (ie have no bits already) and are doing it on a budget I vote for the 2V CC (302) heads.

Go for a small mechanical solid, flat tops, standard bottom end, decent single plane manifold, extractors, 650-750DP Holley and get a mild port job done. With the right cam you should get an honest 350-380HP out of it with lots of torque as well...

Generally speaking a bigger budget means more revs, more HP and the need for 4V heads..
Any ideas wot HP you may have with this sort of setup but with more extensive headwork? Thinking about pulling my 2V's for some big porting but unsure if it is worth while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech