'60 F100 Q-Code
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Washington, USA
Re: Mechanically Challenged...
I had the pleasure of doing "this" this weekend...it started out as a simple tuning job. I loosened the distributor clamp on a 4V 351C only to find that the distributor wouldn't turn.
I found a bent piece of square tubing and a small piece of wood. I placed the wood under the distributor and pried at it with the tubing...after loosening the distributor hold down. No budge...not even a little. I split the block of wood from the amount of pressure applied to it. De nada. I pulled out the hold down and drowned the area in a bath of WD40. I reapplied the bent piece of tubing and the distributor popped out completely.
After issuing a few expletives, I grabbed up a long flat blade screwdriver and a flashlight. I stuck the screwdriver into a tube of moly grease and loaded up the oil pump driveshaft. Using the end (tang) of a long round file, I eye-ball centered the driveshaft and after about 5 or 6 tries, got the distributor to sit down snuggly. Of course, the rotor was pointed into "who knows where land."
I pulled the number one plug off of the distributor and relocated it at the location where the rotor pointed and followed the rest throughout the firing order. I pulled the number one plug and rotated the engine around to the compression stroke and the markings on the dampener were at about 18* BTDC. I returned the plug to its home, loosely locked down the distributor and cranked the engine for several seconds, noting that oil pressure was present. I touched the throttle and it fired to life. Finally, I was back to the point where I could actually tune it.
This is all relatively simple, if not a bit tedious...the most annoying being the oil pump driveshaft.