Missfired then stoped! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2004, 04:49   #1 (permalink)

Missfired then stoped!

Hello people. My sunday arvo cruise didnt happen today and im glad! After racing the capri last I hadnt had time to do a quick check over the tappets and generaly have a look to make sure all is ok, just somethin I like to do. Anyway, I had some spare time today so I thought great, I can set the tappets, chuck on my new air cleaner and go for a drive down the freeway. Started up and was sitting in the car getting it up to temp to set tappets when it started running like a pig and then just died on me. Strange i thought, plenty of fuel in the tank, checked over carby all seemed ok. Then I took the rocker covers off, all ok. I thought id check the dizzy. Pulled the cap off made sure the advance hadnt gotten stuck. I found the rotor button could be turn by hand without the engine turning. Pulling the dizzy out I found the roll pin that holds the drive gear onto the shaft had sheered!!!! Aint that a bastard. How happy am I that it didnt let go at 6500rpm in top gear down the drags!! Could have been very messy!!
Sorry for the long post, a story had to be told.....
ClevoCapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2004, 06:15   #2 (permalink)

Re: Missfired then stoped!

Had the same thing happen a few years ago. You won't do any damage no matter revs it happens at, just a very sudden loss of spark.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:44   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Missfired then stoped!

You'll probably find your oil pump has ceased causing the breakage at the dizzy gear. The only bad thing is when this happens and the engines still turning over, you have no oil pressure! As the oil pumps driven by the dizzy gear.

Rip the dizzy out and try and turn the oil pump over by hand using the hex shaft.

Brenden
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech