Modifying Fuel Pickup - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2006, 20:05   #1 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Modifying Fuel Pickup

Hey all

I have just removed the pickup from the tank in my XE falcon... I have installed a BG 220 pump with external bypass and was having some issues...

After driving it hard for about 30mins it would run out of fuel, the pump would stop priming.. I had to wait for the pump to cool down and it would prime then i could continue home.

I thought it was the filter maybe at the bottom of the pickup, but after taking the pickup out, I have reliased the return pipe is either broken or never went to the bottom :( so the return fuel would have been getting air raided which would not have helped....

i also removed the filter and tried to run water through it, almost water proof :(

Ok, so the plan is to have someone remove the two tube peices and braise in some new larger tube... I know people have done this before but is there a way of saving the sender unit? what exactly stuffs them, just the heat?

what size tube have you guys managed to get in there? and who did you use?

i live in a fairly small town and i think it would have to be a metal turner or radiator shop for this job, not sure... who'd you use?

cheers all, can't wait to get this small problem fixed as i havn't had fun hitting 6k rpm for ages!!! I did at powercruise, but had fuel dramas all day which kinda almost stuffed the fun

cheers!!

Also these show a bit;
http://users.tpg.com.au/mpracy/P6070005.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.au/mpracy/P6070012.JPG
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2006, 20:18   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Modifying Fuel Pickup

A radiator shop can do it for you. Use a 3/8" minimum or 1/2" max. I don't think your problem is related to the actual supply line. I think it's due to it not sucking in enough air. If this is the case? It'll cause priming issues. My breather is 1/2" which is a factory part of the tank. I'm actually using the drain back tube on the tank as a breather. It's normally connected to a connection on the filler tube but my car doesn't have the connection on the tube as it wasn't meant to be there from the factory. Only late XB's and XC's had it. My tanks out of an XC GXL.

Another issue : Those pumps like to be gravity fed. I no longer use the factory pickup. Is there a way you can fit a rearward facing pickup on an XE tank.
Old 06-06-2006, 22:53   #3 (permalink)
82XE 351c

I was going to use 1/2" for the pickup and 3/8 for the return line...

The tank is made of plastic so there is no chance of gravity feeding the pump. What i am doing is only a short term fix until i get a cell installed...

So you are thinking the tank breather is not good enough? I think mine might be 3/8 but I am not sure where it runs to... I wil trace that this sarvo and see..

where on the tank does the breather start? never noticed it before....
Old 06-07-2006, 00:53   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

The breather will be located in the same place all the plastic lines run to your canister.

You can gravity feed it. I'm sure a plastic welder could do it pretty easily.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:28   #5 (permalink)
UCNTRY

id probley be gettin it set up properly with the cell and everything first dont want it leanin out because the pump doesnt want to pick the fuel up
UCNTRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:30   #6 (permalink)

I run a 1/2 line and 3/8 breather in my XD pickup. I devcon'd it in so i didn't hurt the electric sender, and used an EFI 1/2 filter, which is also devonned on (i love devcon if you havnt guessed)
I did it myself, so must be easy

xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:39   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCNTRY
id probley be gettin it set up properly with the cell and everything first dont want it leanin out because the pump doesnt want to pick the fuel up
You don't need a cell for it to work right. I used to run a cell. I hated it due to range. I run a modded stock tank. As my last trip to the strip shows. It works just fine. My only changes were MSD dizzy, timing and tank. I'll run a 10 without a cell or fuel issues. Plastic tanks would be far easier to mod for a rear pickup. Couple of bits of fuel resistant plastic, two 1/2" bulkheads and your done. It'd be exactly the same as what the cells with the fuel sump at the back.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:44   #8 (permalink)

I did a similar thing to above,two 1/2" lines silver soldered to a thick 1/4" steel plate then bolted it to sender sealed with devcon.

You do have the correct cap fitted????? The breather is one thing but the caps are a vacuum type cap and are supposed to allow air into the tank via a one-way valve in the cap.The caps dont vent out though so fumes go through the carbon canister. The wrong cap can cause a vacuum in the tank after some time ,then no fuel since the pump wont draw it out.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:32   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaust
I did a similar thing to above,two 1/2" lines silver soldered to a thick 1/4" steel plate then bolted it to sender sealed with devcon.

You do have the correct cap fitted????? The breather is one thing but the caps are a vacuum type cap and are supposed to allow air into the tank via a one-way valve in the cap.The caps dont vent out though so fumes go through the carbon canister. The wrong cap can cause a vacuum in the tank after some time ,then no fuel since the pump wont draw it out.
I tested my breather setup with a new propper cap, and with the std small breather(4 mm approx), it still didn't breathe close to properly. The 3/8 (9.5mm) worked pretty good, but i have been told to be perfect, you should match the breather size to the fuel line size.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:35   #10 (permalink)
82XE 351c

well both the tubes in the sender are used for fuel for mine.... thats where my problem is then... I see a hose sitting there which must go to the canister...

Which case i need 3 holes to the tank... I might have to give up the idea of having a sender and just make a plate to go over the unit so i can fit 1x 1/2" and 2x 3/8"

the hassle with getting the tank modded is alot of plastic welders will want it cleaned first... then i would also have to run the hoses back out of the boot as i have the pump mounted in the left side of the boot right down low....

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech