monster tourque - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2004, 17:28   #1 (permalink)
UCNTRY

monster tourque

how can i get monster tourque out of a 302 no NOS/BLOWERS/TURBOS/STROKERS i just want the best of what i can get out of a 302 what are your suggestions
UCNTRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2004, 17:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: monster tourque

You Need Cubic Inches, The More The Better!
GMKILR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 17:58   #3 (permalink)
UCNTRY

i dont want any morree cubic inches as the 302 is rigght on the limit for my p's and i beleive u can get a 302 going just as good as a 351 if u use the right parts
Old 07-05-2004, 23:51   #4 (permalink)
Proudly Average

decent air filter, decent carb, decent intake manifold, decent ignition, decent cam, decent extractors/exhaust... that's about all you can do, except for playing with gearing...
.020 over 351 Clevo, 10:1 comp, ported 302 heads, blueprinted and balanced, custom ground cam, Edelbrock intake, 600 Holley, K&N air filter, Custom Zip-Ties(tm), MSD ignition, Genie extractors, 2 x 2.5" exhaust, 2800rpm stally, rooted C4
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 00:52   #5 (permalink)

How much longer are you on P's?

Same as BlackSnake and then drop in a 351 crank with your 302 rods & new pistons in 12 months.
Old 07-06-2004, 00:54   #6 (permalink)

You'll just have to be content with a baby monster for a while!
Old 07-06-2004, 01:17   #7 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

You can put 351 crank into your 302 as long as it's a windsor, or use a stroker kit like the 347.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:44   #8 (permalink)
Proudly Average

yeah, that's my plan (except i'm not on p-plate restrictions) - get all the bolt-on stuff sorted now, then save for a good stroker rebuild.

more info than my first post would prolly be helpful - this is what i've gained from my limited experience, and listening to blokes on here and elsewhere -

decent air filter - some say stay away from an exposed element filter and use a stock airbox with 2 snorkels... others say get an open one... that's what i did. Everyone seems to agree that the washable K&N ones are da bomb.

decent carbie - Holleys are pretty much the industry standard. a 350/400/465 is definately big enough for a 302. I got a 600 vac sec, only because i didn't want to be buying another carb when i go to 351. the 600 works ok, uses a little bit of fuel, but if well tuned/jetted, will be fine

decent intake manifold - if yours is a 2 barrel stock Ford one (pre-XC, i think), then a 4 barrel from an XC onwards is an improvement. For a stock replacement, the Edelbrock Performer is apparently pretty good - plenty of torque. Anything else and you're looking at bonnet clearance issues.

decent ignition - stock Ford electronic from a 351 XC/ZH/P6 will fit blue block (early) clevo's no worries. Excellent upgrade from points. MSD module can be added later as an extra boost. if you get a 6-AL or similar, you get a rev limiter too.

decent cam - stick with hydraulic, match it to a small stall convertor on an auto, or to your diff/gear ratio choice for manual. This is the one thing i haven't quite settled for my combo yet.

decent exhaust - twin 2.25/2.5 inch with a good set of extractors will keep you out of trouble. extractors are personal choice, i went with Genies because they were cheap.

another thing to do would be to get decent unleaded heads, and wind the timing a bit for premium fuel.

make sure everything's spot on (new plugs, good leads, good dizzy cap, good tuning, no vacuum leaks, service regularly)...

that should give you a fairly strong 5 litre clevo to play around with until you can move on to bigger and better things

*disclaimer - i'm not a big tech head like davis, strokexd, russxr67 etc - these blokes REALLY know what they're talking about. listen to them. almost all of the above, i've picked up from their (and others) years of experience...
.020 over 351 Clevo, 10:1 comp, ported 302 heads, blueprinted and balanced, custom ground cam, Edelbrock intake, 600 Holley, K&N air filter, Custom Zip-Ties(tm), MSD ignition, Genie extractors, 2 x 2.5" exhaust, 2800rpm stally, rooted C4

Last edited by GreenMachine; 07-06-2004 at 01:49. Reason: mistakes
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 02:50   #9 (permalink)
UCNTRY

well i still havent got my p's yet so i have still got three years ahead of me and seen i live in shepparton most people should no where that is there is a large police fraternity around here and there is a big crackdown at the moment after one of our big skid nights like the today tonight one were a large number of cars were court out there police are going pretty heavy on all of us now with a special taskforce in town for the next threee months. so at the moment im just looking to do the 302 up to its full tourque potential a mate in town has a hj with a 308 with only top end work done to it and none of the strokers or turbo cars in town can keep it with him for the first one hundred meters and i want to be able to do this tooo so just looking for info on how to get this sought of power and tourque. Mods so far are:
tri y extractors they are a bit old but
at the moment just single 2 1/4 but will change to 3"
it has a 2000 tce converter
unsure on diff gears it is a b/w 8"
i want to go with strate gas too an impco 425 most likely
2v closed chambers with bronze guides hardened valve seats and mustang valves(dont know what these are just got told thats what was in them when bought the engine)
and thats about it
Old 07-06-2004, 04:32   #10 (permalink)
Turbo 351TC "Coming soon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
You can put 351 crank into your 302 as long as it's a windsor, or use a stroker kit like the 347.
Hmm sorry I think you mean a Cleveland not Windsor. Thats why people use the 347!
TD302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech