More power from my LTD - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2005, 04:14   #1 (permalink)

More power from my LTD

I have a 77 LTD 351c FMX and 9inch the car only has 90,000 k's on it but my problem is that it can be blown away by just about anything any ideas on what i can do for around $2000 the running gear at present is stock standard except for twin exhaust and i have just bought extractors for it.
mattlea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2005, 04:29   #2 (permalink)

Re: More power from my LTD

What diff gears are you running? If they're stock 2.7's 2.9's then thats your #1 killer. Go some 3.5's.

Do you have a stock size camshaft? Any other engine mods? Your extractors will make a difference. Are you handy with fitting your own parts?

You could get a small hi-stall converter (ie: 2000+ rpm). $350 + intallation.

Your LTD is a big beast and will require a bit of mumbo to get it hauling. You could go a bigger camshaft and keep your stock valve train (just new lifters).......$250 + gaskits.

A second hand 650/750 holley ($400) and weiand xcelerator manifold ($350) would be next.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:14   #3 (permalink)
Coupe XA

Chuck all the running gear into a cortina and get permits i dont think many cars will beat you then :)
benXaGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:29   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlea1
I have a 77 LTD 351c FMX and 9inch the car only has 90,000 k's on it but my problem is that it can be blown away by just about anything any ideas on what i can do for around $2000 the running gear at present is stock standard except for twin exhaust and i have just bought extractors for it.
For about $700-900, you could get the complete job done and go to 3.5 or 3.7 gears depending on what you can do yourself. New upgraded cam will help a lot ott. Remember, if you find some high uleashed power with the stock valves, you could be up for valve failure and crockodile tears. $2000 dollars is just not enough for a reliable middle of the way steet car, unless you keep it under 5500rpm. Hard call in my opinion.
Old 05-25-2005, 14:37   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info guys im a qualified motor mechanic but have been out of it for 10 years but i still have no problem in doing the work myself so basically if i was to fit 3.5 diff gears maybe a stage 2 cam some head work (as i want it to run on unleaded anyway) and manifold and carby if so what what carby do you reccomend.
Old 05-25-2005, 14:47   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys im a qualified motor mechanic but have been out of it for 10 years but i still have no problem in doing the work myself so basically if i was to fit 3.5 diff gears maybe a stage 2 cam some head work (as i want it to run on unleaded anyway) and manifold and carby if so what what carby do you reccomend.
You could go a "stage 3", and just keep it under 5500. You'll find lots of torque.

A good example is a Dynotech PC316, or similar.

Starts at 2200 up to 5500+,

Durn @ 0.050".... I=214* & E=224*
Lift...................I=.512" & E=538*

With a weiand xcelerator manifold and carb, you'd be looking at about 220'ish rear wheel ponies with no head work. It will pull nice. The xcelerator is a single plane, but works great despite you only going to 5500.
Old 05-25-2005, 14:50   #7 (permalink)

I was looking at a single plane xcelerator on ebay but a few people said forget about it for my car???
Old 05-25-2005, 17:13   #8 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
I was looking at a single plane xcelerator on ebay but a few people said forget about it for my car???
You've got three options -:

Edelbrock performer - best I've seen out of one is 212rwkw (good to 5500rpm)
Torque power - best I've seen from one was 304rwkw on a 383 chev (good to 6000rpm)
Xcelerator - Most I've got using one was 279rwkw (good to around 6500-6600rpm I found) Would probably made power higher in the rpm range if pipes were off but you can't drive around the street pipes off can you

If your not going to go beyond 6000rpm? The torque-power is the best available. Next step is a Xcelerator.

[edit]Carb choices would be anywhere from 650 vac sec -> 650dp. Depends on what the engine likes/prefers. With the dynoing I've been involved with we always fiddle with carb sizes.
Old 05-25-2005, 21:58   #9 (permalink)
Country Boy Rippin it up!

this will reqire a bit of cutting but one of these will catch you up

Tunnle ram manifold
GTFORDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 23:31   #10 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFORDMAN
this will reqire a bit of cutting but one of these will catch you up

Tunnle ram manifold
I hope you are joking GTFORDMAN. Going to a tunnelram would be one of the worse decisions he could make, as he needs torque, not HP above 6000 RPM.
Rhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech