More Power Please - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2005, 19:26   #1 (permalink)

More Power Please

Hi all
I have a 1981 ZJ 351cl 4v, fmx, basically everything is stock, and im wanting some ideas from people, on how to gain more power/torque, from such a large car.
I dont intend to drag this on strip or street, as it is a cruizer/family car, but i dont want this kind of vehicle stock standard if yous know what i mean,(engine,driveline wise).
Im no mechanic, but do know a few things around the engine bay/car.
I have 2 budgets, one at $5000aus, and $8000aus.
Some may say this is not enough for a good streeter but it may be enough for myself.
Bring me your combos please.
79XD82ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2005, 20:17   #2 (permalink)

Re: More Power Please

This recent thread should give you some ideas.

More power from my LTD
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 20:34   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79XD82ZJ
Hi all
I have a 1981 ZJ 351cl 4v, fmx, basically everything is stock, and im wanting some ideas from people, on how to gain more power/torque, from such a large car.
I dont intend to drag this on strip or street, as it is a cruizer/family car, but i dont want this kind of vehicle stock standard if yous know what i mean,(engine,driveline wise).
Im no mechanic, but do know a few things around the engine bay/car.
I have 2 budgets, one at $5000aus, and $8000aus.
Some may say this is not enough for a good streeter but it may be enough for myself.
Bring me your combos please.
Your 2nd budget of $8000 should get you this combo (noted below), including the rebuild on the FMX and hi-stall. This will give you 250RWHP and make a very nice street engine with plently of torque and easy to drive without being a pig on the street. For a cruiser/family car I would change the diff ratio to around 3to1 instead of my 3.7to1.... Setting a 6000rpm limit will make this combo last for years without any issues. You could save some cash by skipping all the MSD gear as you probably won't see much benefit with a 6000rpm limit anyway. Not sure about your heads "4V"....I would have thought 2V's might be better suited to your needs, A 750 carb is probably abit big for a crusier, a 600-650 vac 2nd might be better. Anyway that should give you something to think about. (the combo below is what I have in my car)

351 Cleveland - 30thou over
Super pan
Mellings HV oil pump
4MAB Crank
ACL race series pistions with moly rings
Crank machined and new bearings throughout.
Stock conrods, fitted with ARP rod bolts & closed & honed.
Rollermaster double row timing chain
Full Balance
Final compression 10.1
new steel balancer
full fel-pro gasket kit

Crow hydro cam 224/234 @.050" lift .535/.560 112 lobe seperation
2v closed chamber heads, ports cleaned up (nothing else). harneded seats for ulp.4v valves on exhaust only. Crow double valve springs, k-line guides, crow lifters, moly retainers,collets and push rods. 1 piece stainless steel single groove valves. teflon valve seals, yella terra bolt on adjustable roller rockers.

Weiand X-ellator manifold, barry grant 750DP and 1" spacer.
MSD billet dizzy (8580) MSD HVCII coil (8253) and MSD 6AL - (6420) and MSD leads.
Tri -headers, with dual 2.5" exhaust with turbo mufflers.
Reco FMX with transgo reprogram kit and 3200 Hi Stall.
9" 3.7 ratio with 15 x 10 (295/50/15
xb351coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 13:55   #4 (permalink)

Thanks alot xbgs351 for the thread you have given, much appreciated for that info, and also to xb351coupe as well, for your help in my quest for more power than stock, your set up is an inspiration to me and can help me move foward in this world of ford V8 modifications that we all are keen on doing.
cheers.
79XD82ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech