MSD Compatible - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2004, 02:36   #1 (permalink)

MSD Compatible

I need some info from anyone who's running a MSD 6. What distributor do you run as I'm looking for a replacment. Not interested in V/advance as it is bracket car.
slaves wage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2004, 03:42   #2 (permalink)

Re: MSD Compatible

I fitted a MSD 6AL and MSD Pro-Billet Distributor a few months ago, a great dizzy, but at nearly $700 it ain't cheap. It's the best dizzy out there in my view if you don't mind paying that much. I previously ran a Mallory and Accel but they didn't last very long.

I'm sure that Ford's factory electronic XC onwards being magnetic trigger works fine with the 6AL if you already have one of these. They are as robust as the MSD Pro-Billet but a hassle to change advance curve.

The 6AL also works fine with points, so you've got heaps of choices mate.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:52   #3 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

I run a Modified Motorcraft Points Distributor in my XB. The internal workings have been removed as I have Crank Triggering and an MSD Programable Timing Computer. The ignition unit I use is an MSD 6AL.
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 04:24   #4 (permalink)

smciner1 how do you find the programmable timing computer? Worth the money? Was thinking of one myself to custom tune my timing better than I've been able to with the mechanical advance. They expensive?
Old 01-11-2004, 13:39   #5 (permalink)

why didnt they last long?
Old 01-11-2004, 17:00   #6 (permalink)

Mallory literally fell apart inside - weights and springs - very quickly. The cap also flogged out on the locating tongue, inferior material. Mallory stuff is budget orientated.

The Accel was a tad better, I got 4 years out of it but that is poor in my view compared to OEM stuff. The bushing got flogged out of specs and it got pretty rusty in the centrigal advance.
Old 01-11-2004, 18:50   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKEXD
I fitted a MSD 6AL and MSD Pro-Billet Distributor a few months ago, a great dizzy, but at nearly $700 it ain't cheap. It's the best dizzy out there in my view if you don't mind paying that much. I previously ran a Mallory and Accel but they didn't last very long.

I'm sure that Ford's factory electronic XC onwards being magnetic trigger works fine with the 6AL if you already have one of these. They are as robust as the MSD Pro-Billet but a hassle to change advance curve.

The 6AL also works fine with points, so you've got heaps of choices mate.
Yep the MSD gear is just to hard to look past regardless of price... WIns hands down. Plug in and race. The advance changing bushes are great ect
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 22:52   #8 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKEXD
smciner1 how do you find the programmable timing computer? Worth the money? Was thinking of one myself to custom tune my timing better than I've been able to with the mechanical advance. They expensive?
They work very well, the adjustability is the best part. They cost around $500-00.
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 04:12   #9 (permalink)

I can get the MSD for $474 or the Accel Electronic for $435 which is better for me since it uses standard type cap
Old 01-12-2004, 06:27   #10 (permalink)

Just another thought.

From everyone I've spoken to the Ford electronic dissy does a great job - pick one up cheap too. They're a piece of cake to wire up to your MSD ignition. I have an MSD Digital 6 plus and a standard electronic Ford (Bosch) dissy on my XD.

Here's a link below (to another cleveland forum) reference getting rid of your vacuum advance. You can either just take the hose off and plug the hole or remove the whole vacuum diapragm unit on the side of the dissy and ensure you lock the moving parts for the advance inside.....the link explains how.

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/...eid=1072952614

I was going to get an all bells and whistles MSD Dissy - it would be nice - but you don't need too.......not revving to 10 grand are you!!

You running and old or new cleveland block?....just making sure you're aware of the different size dissy holes in the block.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech