Ford Forums banner

MSD ignition and tacho's

9K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  351cid 
#1 ·
I was just reading the installation book for my 6A box and it seems that i wont be able to use the original in dash tach unless i get a tach adapter.

For those of you with a MSD,what has been your experience with this issue?

Thanks

#2 ·
fastfalc said:
I was just reading the installation book for my 6A box and it seems that i wont be able to use the original in dash tach unless i get a tach adapter.

Thanks
When I hooked up my 6AL the dash tacho stopped working I think - or was that when I installed the extra tacho? Not sure know so can't help, sorry.

#3 ·
fastfalc said:

Thanks
On an XD 351 with electronic ignition there are no issues, despite what the MSD literature states. So same would apply to any clevo with electronic ignition.

#4 ·
STROKEXD said:
On an XD 351 with electronic ignition there are no issues, despite what the MSD literature states. So same would apply to any clevo with electronic ignition.
I can vouch for ther XE 6cl dash tach working fine. mine is cut off at the moment as i was trying to find some issues i was having, the issue is fixed and it wasn't the trach.

#6 ·
factory tacho in my XB will not work with the MSD 6AL . it is an older system though so maybe they have changed it.

i use a Auto Meter tacho.

have spoken to an instrument techo who thinks he can adapt the original tacho to work. just havent got around to giving it to him yet.

#7 ·
351cid said:
factory tacho in my XB will not work with the MSD 6AL . it is an older system though so maybe they have changed it.

i use a Auto Meter tacho.

have spoken to an instrument techo who thinks he can adapt the original tacho to work. just havent got around to giving it to him yet.

I have a 6AL running with my Factory Tacho in my XB !!

#9 ·
My V8 XB GS has an MSD 6AL,I originally had it on the single point distributor and the tacho was fine,but when i hooked it up to a magnetic trigger dizzy it was mega slow!If you wait long enough it will catch up but Geez if you have got a real engine you will be smackin the rev limiter quicker than you can say muffed shift!you can get your factory tach recalibrated with a VDO guts for around $200,I did and it is dead accurate and keeps the factory look.... :hy:

#10 ·
Thanks for the info guys, i guess i'll just have to put it on and see what happens

gs1973 said:
My V8 XB GS has an MSD 6AL,I originally had it on the single point distributor and the tacho was fine,but when i hooked it up to a magnetic trigger dizzy it was mega slow!If you wait long enough it will catch up but Geez if you have got a real engine you will be smackin the rev limiter quicker than you can say muffed shift!you can get your factory tach recalibrated with a VDO guts for around $200,I did and it is dead accurate and keeps the factory look.... :hy:
where can you get the vdo guts from? cause i want to keep mine looking factory standard .

#11 ·
You should be able to get the tacho converted to the VDO set up at any good Auto electrician.I got mine done by JLH auto electrics down here in tassie.Just give your tach to the sparky and tell em what ya want,its a pretty common mod.costs around $200.cheers. :driver:

#16 ·
the tacho pick up on the 6AL is a single male blade connector on the end of the unit.
opposite end to where the main wires come out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.