MSD ignition and tacho's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2005, 05:31   #1 (permalink)

MSD ignition and tacho's

I was just reading the installation book for my 6A box and it seems that i wont be able to use the original in dash tach unless i get a tach adapter.

For those of you with a MSD,what has been your experience with this issue?

Thanks
fastfalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2005, 05:43   #2 (permalink)
ESP Man

Re: MSD ignition and tacho's

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfalc
I was just reading the installation book for my 6A box and it seems that i wont be able to use the original in dash tach unless i get a tach adapter.

Thanks
When I hooked up my 6AL the dash tacho stopped working I think - or was that when I installed the extra tacho? Not sure know so can't help, sorry.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:20   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfalc

Thanks
On an XD 351 with electronic ignition there are no issues, despite what the MSD literature states. So same would apply to any clevo with electronic ignition.
Old 10-26-2005, 14:46   #4 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKEXD
On an XD 351 with electronic ignition there are no issues, despite what the MSD literature states. So same would apply to any clevo with electronic ignition.
I can vouch for ther XE 6cl dash tach working fine. mine is cut off at the moment as i was trying to find some issues i was having, the issue is fixed and it wasn't the trach.
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 14:50   #5 (permalink)

I have both my factory tacho and an autometer procomp connected to my MSD.... Never had an issue!
xb351coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 16:30   #6 (permalink)
old B - new B

factory tacho in my XB will not work with the MSD 6AL . it is an older system though so maybe they have changed it.

i use a Auto Meter tacho.

have spoken to an instrument techo who thinks he can adapt the original tacho to work. just havent got around to giving it to him yet.
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 16:43   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351cid
factory tacho in my XB will not work with the MSD 6AL . it is an older system though so maybe they have changed it.

i use a Auto Meter tacho.

have spoken to an instrument techo who thinks he can adapt the original tacho to work. just havent got around to giving it to him yet.

I have a 6AL running with my Factory Tacho in my XB !!
xb351coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 19:36   #8 (permalink)
Smoke? What Smoke?

th tacho in my coupe works fine with msd 6al, just a bit slow.
Red04VXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:43   #9 (permalink)
V8 man

My V8 XB GS has an MSD 6AL,I originally had it on the single point distributor and the tacho was fine,but when i hooked it up to a magnetic trigger dizzy it was mega slow!If you wait long enough it will catch up but Geez if you have got a real engine you will be smackin the rev limiter quicker than you can say muffed shift!you can get your factory tach recalibrated with a VDO guts for around $200,I did and it is dead accurate and keeps the factory look....
gs1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 13:32   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the info guys, i guess i'll just have to put it on and see what happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1973
My V8 XB GS has an MSD 6AL,I originally had it on the single point distributor and the tacho was fine,but when i hooked it up to a magnetic trigger dizzy it was mega slow!If you wait long enough it will catch up but Geez if you have got a real engine you will be smackin the rev limiter quicker than you can say muffed shift!you can get your factory tach recalibrated with a VDO guts for around $200,I did and it is dead accurate and keeps the factory look....
where can you get the vdo guts from? cause i want to keep mine looking factory standard .
fastfalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech