Ford Forums banner

Msd Is Rooted

3K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  tony xa 
#1 ·
I cant work this out my car is not running im stuck at work all night trying to fix it and i cant get the bloody thing going. Ive checked the unit for a spark and there is none it cranks over i have battery power just no spark why why why why??

Ive checked all my connections like 5 times or so and rung my dad about it he said his mate had 1 and a month later the little black box in the dizzy ****ed up. So im thinking mine might be the same. but ive only had mine for like 2 weeks.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i hate cars now lol not really but im really frustrated.

I think the units ganna be a waranty cause im not ganna pay another $1000 for a new 1.

#2 ·
If you have a 6AL your not supposed to connected it to the dizzy module. If you did? That'd be giving the module a heart attack.

I reckon you've killed a coil. Not using a bosch 716/717 are you?

On the module there should be 4 wires. If it's a GM module. Two wires in from the coil. Disconnect these. Connect the MSD box to the other two wires. Then if the MSD fails? you can just reconnect your dizzy module and drive away.

#3 ·
Hmmm....trons. You gotta love 'em. Just confirm you've had it all up and running before?

Do you have a multimeter? Does the unit have 12V to it? ie: not just checking your wiring, but that there's voltage?

Wiring secure on your coil?

Basics like coil ingnition lead connected?

Is the 12V wire going to the unit on the ignition circuit and not an accessories tapped off line?

#4 ·
brenx said:
If you have a 6AL your not supposed to connected it to the dizzy module. If you did? That'd be giving the module a heart attack.

I reckon you've killed a coil. Not using a bosch 716/717 are you?

On the module there should be 4 wires. If it's a GM module. Two wires in from the coil. Disconnect these. Connect the MSD box to the other two wires. Then if the MSD fails? you can just reconnect your dizzy module and drive away.
Nah i have a msd 6al box a blaster 2 coil and a msd dizzy
how can the module fail im not getting a voltage on one of the wires running to it

#5 ·
Module can be cooked by heat. Usually not enough heat sink compound. I've had quite a few fail. That's one on the reasons I fitted a 6AL. The 6AL is more reliable. I've had mine in their since Feb. It's faultless.

Have you got power to the box? Is the fuse in the box okay?

#8 ·
brenx said:
Module can be cooked by heat. Usually not enough heat sink compound. I've had quite a few fail. That's one on the reasons I fitted a 6AL. The 6AL is more reliable. I've had mine in their since Feb. It's faultless.

Have you got power to the box? Is the fuse in the box okay?

I didnt see a fuse in the box where is it? could be that?

#14 ·
brenx said:
The fuse system from what I can work out is an internal diode that you can't access. :( I was sure they have an external fuse but that may have been my other box.

Yeah i was thinking wheres the fuse i thought i saw 1 on it but remembered it was my radio that has the fuse lol

#17 ·
nah still not going im at work now trying to fix the problem

Ive worked out the msd is ok and i have a spark now but my problem is i pulled the dizzy out and lost the settings so i gotta find out how to re install the dizzy.

If only i looked in the first place i would of found the cut wire on my ingnition switch came off when i was cable tying the wires up.

#19 ·
tony that sux

Yeah i no if id just checked the wiring first instead of ripping everything out of the engine i wouldnt be in this dilemma. Anyways its all a learning experience and i gotta learn it anyway

#20 ·
benXaGt said:
tony that sux

Yeah i no if id just checked the wiring first instead of ripping everything out of the engine i wouldnt be in this dilemma. Anyways its all a learning experience and i gotta learn it anyway
rofl. xbwgn does similar. Everytime theres a small issue with the engine He starts ripping the inlet manifold off. I got there, had a listen and found no 5 and 6 spark plug leads reversed ;) It always pays to check the simple stuff first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.