Ford Forums banner

Multi Spark Electronic Ignition?? How is it installed???

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  STROKEXD 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I've been looking into electronic ignition and have come away slightly confused.
How do the Multi Spark units works??

From my understanding, the spark is only transferred when the rotor button passes under the contact points in the cap.
So how does the unit make it multi spark? Does it replace the coil?

From Nismos post, it seems multi spark is a good thing and the costs don't seem prohibative.

Can you guys please point me in the direction of a good electronic ignition combination. I don't particularly want to spend the earth and the car will never be a race car. I just want reliability and startability.
I've been looking at ICE, MSD, CRANE, MALLORY and standard. Can you mix components?

Finally, I know that the distributors were different in shaft size/length in older and newer blocks, do the Aftermarket ones take this into account?

Thanks all

Simon

See less See more
#2 ·
Simon

Your last questions first. MSD aftermarket distributors do not suit the late model clevo block but can be milled down to suit. Accel and Mallory both make dizzy's with the correct shaft diameter to bolt into the late model 'black' blocks.

Multiple spark ignition sytems still use a coil but they have electronics that provide a number of rapid sparks within each firing, upto a certain rpm (usually 3000). After that point they just have a single spark firing as per normal ignition systems. These types of units also place about 200+ volts across the coil primary circuit (usually 12v) so you can see why they provide a huge spark improvement over conventional ignitions. Check out MSD's web page for a full description.

In effect the multiple spark discharge helps a lumpy/cammy motor idle much smoother and restores some bottom end driveability and torque. Most people with modded engines get a big improvement across the board with them, but I suspect a stock motor would only have a marginal improvment. MSD's 6AL costs $600 plus minumum coil requirements $100. Crane similiar in cost.

You don't need to change distributors to run an MSD unit but the MSD distributors in my vote are the best out there.

#3 ·
I just recently conected up my MSD 6AL. I connected up using a regraphed bosch electronic XD dizzy. They work just as well as the hype dizzies in my opinion. The only mod is to take out the modulator(is that what its called) from in the alloy box on the side of the distributor, and connect the msd to the positive and negative of the trigger wires in the alloy box. Also, the coil wires now only go the coil and not the distributor. My MSD 6AL cost $453 for the main unit, $68 for the blaster coil and $52 for a set of rev limiter pills. It did take some time to wire up, as i have the box in under the passenger seat to keep away from water ect.

#4 ·
Stroked XD summed up the Multi Spark System pretty well. Be careful which Coil you choose (a standard one won't cut it). I had an MSD Blaster Cannister Coil and they weren't much chop either (fried 2 of them). The MSD E-Coil is a much better unit to use. I haven't had any trouble with it. You can use any type of distributor with them (even Points one if you want to be silly).

I run a standard points Distributor in my XB that has been setup to work with the Crank Trigger Kit that is available from MSD.

I can vouch for the low end torque they give. I put a set of 4-1 Extractors on mine and lost a fair bit of low down torque. After fitting the MSD it brought the majority of it back and it pulls like a train clear through to the Rev Limiter.

#5 ·
Good to know that they fir the older block that I have out fo the box.

So I need a Electronic distributor, good coil and the multi spark unit. What'll this set me back??

I saw a few ads for ProComp Electronic distributors and the price was good. Are they any good? What about ICE?

Crane's website says that one of their models is under $300. Have a look here: http://www.cranecams.com.au/igsys.htm
Will this be any good?

Thanks

Simon

#6 ·
I'd go with what xdclevo did if you want to keep your costs reasonable. Personally I rate MSD distributors at the top followed by Ford factory electronic, with everything else way down the evolutionary ladder. But I've never owned a Pro-Comp dizzy so I don't know them as well as Mallory and Accel.

Best coils out there are MSD's E or H series coils - cost $240 approx.

The Crane unit looks great and at $300 is cheaper than MSD's 6AL and digital units. Personally I prefer MSD's stuff because I've heard of more failures on the Crane stuff than MSD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.