Ford Forums banner

My 302 Clevo is broke but still runs. HOW?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  fairlanebyford 
#1 ·
My 1978 XC ute was purchased here n the States as the result of private import. Car was assembled form salvage yard parts, as was the engine.

Anyone know what piston/connecting rod assembly would produce a .084" difference in deck height in a 302 Cleveland engine? One cylinder measures over .110" while the other seven (I'm assuming the other seven pistons/connecting rods are stock 302) have deck height is less then .020".

Could my engine have one 351 piston/connecting rod? How bout a stock 302 piston but 351 connecting rod?

All I do know is that the Yank companies that sell parts for the "Frankenmotor" Clevo heads/Windsor block mod are not interested in selling me ONE 302 piston or ONE 302 connecting rod.

#4 ·
It's going to be awhil;e before I get into the engine, but thanks for the offer. Haven't even bothered to try and start the ute for two years now as the body is held to gether on the driver's side by only the inner rocker panel. And it's rusting badly.

Have to admit that when I tool off the heads the first time and saw that one piston didn't come all the way up I thought I had broken the crank. No, just gettng old. Had removed the dizzy and carb to paint over the Ford "U. S. Pontiac Blue' paint and didn't think of looking for the firing order which was cast into the intake manifold.

Put the plug wires back on in the Windsor firing order. Snap. crackle., pop! Figured I broke my toy only a month after purchase. And that's why I removed the heads, figured I would see a holed piston.

Didn't, but decided on a valve job. Good thing because several valve guides had worn badly, several valves were burnt. Lucked out that time...

#6 ·
You must be in OZ. Her in the States 351 2 bbl engines go for a song, if the yards still have them. Bigger yards then to get rid of anything older then ten years as there is more money in crash parts then for us who don't buy "new" cars.

"Pulp"? Assuming that is slang for propane, never caught on here. I see a few natural gas conversions but too few fuel stations to make it worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.