My Ford keeps stalling - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2005, 15:12   #1 (permalink)

My Ford keeps stalling

My 1994 Ford Granada keeps cutting out 2-3 minutes after starting. I think it is something to do with the immobiliser, but don't know enough about this car to work out the problem. Sometimes it re-starts straight away, other times it waits 10 minutes.

When it stalls the engine stops with no warning, and I coast to a stop. When I try to re-start, the enging turns over fine, but won't go the last bit and actually fire.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave
dragracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2005, 00:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: My Ford keeps stalling

Try checking all your immobiliser and other wire looms. Could be a loose wire/connection.

The easiest way to do this is start the car (easier said than done ) and then just get under the dash and shake/twist/bend different sections of the loom(s) hoping your car will cut out.

Then just focus on each specific wire in that loom. It can be a painful process or it could be something else??
Old 05-05-2005, 11:34   #3 (permalink)

i would be thinking fuel might be the problem
old falcon fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 19:12   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by old falcon fan
i would be thinking fuel might be the problem
Could be.

As soon as it stops I'd be checking the accelerator pump for any fuel.

Clear fuel bowl plug windows are great because you can instantly see if any fuel is in the bowls without taking all the aircleaner off etc.
Old 05-06-2005, 14:55   #5 (permalink)

Thank you for all the helpful ideas. I might have fixed it now. I took the stereo out in order to get to the immobiliser - helpful information from http://www.granada-and-scorpio-online.com as well as from this forum.

I snipped some wires as per their diagram on the Website, and the car has not stalled since. In effect I have taken 2 out of the 3 circuits that the immobiliser stops out of the circuit.

It seems like a common problem on these immobilisers on 90's Ford Granadas because someone had already hacksawed through the mounting bracket, so the immobioliser had probably already been replaced.

Incidently, Ford quoted me £360 to do the job. If they had given it a wash as well, it would have more than doubled the value of the car!!

Thanks again.

Dave.
dragracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech