nearly done, couple quick questions.. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2005, 02:33   #1 (permalink)
82XE 351c

nearly done, couple quick questions..

hey all
craft 9" is in my XE. C4 is in and i got truckline to do a tailshaft. Just some small things to go and i'll be good to go.. couple questions though;

-can i use the speedo gear thingy from my borg 4spd in the C4? it fit oks, its a bit tight but it fits... I am talking the whole speedo assem at the g-box end.

-I am going to use castrol dexron iii, what you guys use?

-whats the oil capacity of a c4? I have found a couple places saying dry fill 9.4L, that sound correct? (i will need more as neil added extra capacity)

-we put penrite HYPOID oil in the diff. not sure of the ratio. Just what alot of cars use as it was what my mech stocked. I now have looked through penrite www and reliased i should have used LIMSLIP penrite oil in the diff?
Will it be ok to break the axles in with this hypoid oil?
how do u drain a 9"? using suction pumper?

thanks guys, will be waking up early to go and try to finish it and get going.
hopefully i dont have to flush the diff :(
cheers
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2005, 02:40   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: nearly done, couple quick questions..

Have at least 8lt of fluid there from empty. My old c4 used to hold no more than 6-6.5lt. Just remember to put transfluid in the stall before fitting it to the box. On average I got at least 1lt into the stall.

Capacity will vary depending on stall size and sump type(deep or stock).

Not sure about the diff oil. I haven't bought any diff oil in about 18mths or more. Can't remember what I brought.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:44   #3 (permalink)
Southern Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pracy

-whats the oil capacity of a c4? I have found a couple places saying dry fill 9.4L, that sound correct? (i will need more as neil added extra capacity)
I would say that it isnt far off - I had a leaking pan due to previous owner over tightening - it took two 4L plus maybe 2 more to fill to the mark, it was at least 6L before car would shift into gear so would have to be at least 9-10L to be safe.
CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 02:54   #4 (permalink)

Its allways good to double check the dipstick is marked properly, but only when the box is out of the car. It is crucial to not to overfill, as it can cause problems. The amount of fluid depends on convertor, pan and cooler/lines.
With my 10 inch convertor it took about 8-9 litres all up.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:25   #5 (permalink)
82XE 351c

thanks guys, I will add about 7.5L or so and start it and go from there. cheers...

whats do you's think of the speedo gear and the diff oil though?
anyone used a borg speedo gear on a c4 b4?
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:43   #6 (permalink)
!Real Men Smoke Rubber!

A 9" holds about 2 litres.
351AFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:46   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pracy
thanks guys, I will add about 7.5L or so and start it and go from there. cheers
If it leaks out the breather before 7.5l is in, start the motor and get some fluid moving.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:53   #8 (permalink)
old B - new B

if you have a lsd center in your diff , i would be using lsd oil.

better to change your oil then to wreck the clutchs in the lsd.

you might need to unbolt the center to let the oil out if you dont have a drain plug.

# TIP - while the diff is empty , go to the shop and buy a new sump plug and a thread tap the right size and drill and tap a hole in the bottom of your diff housing so you can easy drain the oil out next time.

dont know about your speedo.??
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 04:19   #9 (permalink)
ESP Man

I would be putting the LSD oil in the diff. Too late once any damage is done and you won't have any warranty comeback.

I had my 9" centre rebuilt by Craft. From memory he gave me some additive to put in it.

I can tell you that once the diff warms up its like it has locked centre. Doing a 90 deg turn you can hear the inside wheel digging up tar car because its turning the same speed as the outside wheel. Its been that way for about 20,000 klms. Hairy in the wet!
Old 12-23-2005, 04:33   #10 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
Its always good to double check the dipstick is marked properly . . .
I've compared dipsticks from different C4’s and they were different lengths. Also check that the stop plate at the top is located in the right spot.

I over-filled a C4 once and ended up with a HUGE cloud of smoke trailing behind me, as the trans fluid spewed from the overflow on the top and onto the exhaust.

Just my luck 2 cops pull me over and the 'well trained' female cop tells me I need a new engine. The male cop just looks at her in disbelief as if to say "if you are going to say something - make sure you have at least a bit of an idea before you go and confirm that you are as dumb as you look".

I explained to HIM that the motor was only a few minutes old and this was it's maiden voyage, and what the cause of the smoke was. He knowingly nodded his head and sent me home with a parting "good luck".

I think he was in for one of those VERY LONG shifts. Poor bugger.
Rhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech