Ford Forums banner

Need Info from Those Down Under

7K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  RobbMc 
#1 ·
New member here. I have been an engineer at Mallory and Erson Cams for 13 years. Recently I started a new company (RobbMc Performance Products) with an ex-Mallory engineer. We specialize in products for less popular (ok, less popular in the states) V8's.

We have recently started manufacturing and selling high volume mechanical fuel pumps for several less popular engines including the 351C/M/400 Ford.

I know this engine family is more popular in Australia than in the states so I would like to find a dealer in Australia. I know a few people at Rocket Industries because they carry Mallory products. I contacted them but they have shown little interest.

Any suggestions?

PS. I will try to check in on this forum a couple times a week. Please feel free to ask me questions about Mallory and Erson products either via a forum thread or by email. I designed many of the current Mallory and Erson products.

#3 ·
Thanks Falcon. I'll give them a try.

Other than Panteras and a few Torinos and Mustangs, there aren't a lot of Clevelands still around anymore in the states and most of them aren't racing. I hear that the Cleveland is still used for racing quite a bit in Australia. This is a link to a website showing the two pumps:
http://www.robbmcperformance.com/4436.html
Think there would be any interest down under?

#4 ·
Nice looking pumps.

Yeah, Holley mech pumps were avail until a few years back, but it seems the only mechanical pumps avail for a Clevo these days is a stock one. Had to throw my Holley one out because I couldn't get a rebuild kit for it.

Try some of these guys. They are some main frachises or dealers here who would sell a lot of those parts.

http://www.rarespares.net.au/mainind.htm

https://www.americanautos.com.au/secure.html

http://www.performancewholesale.com.au/

http://www.highperformanceworld.com.au/home.html

#5 ·
TruBlu351 said:
Nice looking pumps.

Yeah, Holley mech pumps were avail until a few years back, but it seems the only mechanical pumps avail for a Clevo these days is a stock one. Had to throw my Holley one out because I couldn't get a rebuild kit for it.
Im fairly sure you can still get the mallory ones! I got mine bout 18mnths ago :hy:

#7 ·
Greetings

My name is Brett Preston from Edge Enterprises in Australia.

We have been involved in High performance products since 1988. We are no longer are in this industry , we now manufacture children's pedal cars. www.pedalcar.com.au

We supply many countries world wide.

I understand fully what you are trying to achieve.

To help brake into the Australian Market you may like to contact John & CHI sales@chiheads.com makes the best Cylinder heads for Cleveland & you may be able to work out a mutually beneficial deal. They have supplied the engine masters winners the last few years.

If you need any help with manufacturing Off shore I may be able to assist.

Regards
Brett Preston

STAMPED STEEL PRODUCTIONS
KALAMUNDA WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Tele +618 62931055
Fax +618 62931066
www.pedalcarshop.com/stampsteel/index.htm

Regards
Brett Preston
Australian Pedal Car Company
Ph 08 6293 1055
Fax 08 6293 1066
www.pedalcar.com.au

The originator not the imitator.

Don't be fooled by smaller copies.
Demand the genuine item.

#8 ·
RobbMc said:
New member here. I have been an engineer at Mallory and Erson Cams for 13 years. Recently I started a new company (RobbMc Performance Products) with an ex-Mallory engineer. We specialize in products for less popular (ok, less popular in the states) V8's.

We have recently started manufacturing and selling high volume mechanical fuel pumps for several less popular engines including the 351C/M/400 Ford.

I know this engine family is more popular in Australia than in the states so I would like to find a dealer in Australia. I know a few people at Rocket Industries because they carry Mallory products. I contacted them but they have shown little interest.

Any suggestions?

PS. I will try to check in on this forum a couple times a week. Please feel free to ask me questions about Mallory and Erson products either via a forum thread or by email. I designed many of the current Mallory and Erson products.
You really know how to warm the hearts and minds of Internet shoppers with:

"Taxes and shipping charges will be added to all orders." ...though, as your FAQ seems to indicate, that taxes are added only to Nevada recipients. You may want to clarify that where the previous sentence is used. Something like: "Shipping charges will be added to all orders. Nevada residents add 7% sales tax to net order."

Also, you may want to consider using "guage" instead of "gage" in your narratives concerning fuel pressure gauges. Gage is most often a transitive verb and guage is most often a noun. Though technically correct--in the same manner that "pretty" also means "very" these days--the preferred usage is guage.

I'd probably try contacting Terry Parker. He makes the Funnelweb inlet manifolds. He may be interested. He's going to be talking to people about fuel system-related components anyway when they contact him. It may be a worthwhile collaborative marketing opportunity.

I'd be interested in a 110 fuel pump, but at $200 I think that I'll just have to stay interested. I bought a Carter 23 gph pump that is supplemented by an electric in my 1960 F100 (sitting atop of a '72 Ranchero chassis). My 4V 351C engine only makes about 420 HP.

It would be nice to have a 220 on my Cleveland powered dragster, but I don't have a fuel pump eccentric on the snout of the cam...but, it would be a lot easier to install that way!

:davis:

#11 ·
ch7472 said:
I don't know anyone who runs a mechanical fuel pump. At $200 US that would make for one bloody expensive fuel pump. But i wish you luck any way.
I agree.

WRT to the 220gph pump listed..........

Holley have a Volumax mechanical range of pumps and the one for a Windsor flows 170gph @ 8psi compared to 167gph @ 4.5psi..........and at the wallet end, they're only US$99 compared to US$275.

Even the 110gph one @ US$200, by the time it gets converted to Oz $ and people double dip, I'd expect a price of around AU$300 and $400 for the bigger one?

Just food for thought in terms of market competitiveness in comparisson to an electric pump. There are your die hard "originalists" who want to keep stock fittings and mechanical pumps though.

#13 ·
TruBlu351 said:
I agree.

WRT to the 220gph pump listed..........

Holley have a Volumax mechanical range of pumps and the one for a Windsor flows 170gph @ 8psi compared to 167gph @ 4.5psi..........and at the wallet end, they're only US$99 compared to US$275.

Even the 110gph one @ US$200, by the time it gets converted to Oz $ and people double dip, I'd expect a price of around AU$300 and $400 for the bigger one?

Just food for thought in terms of market competitiveness in comparisson to an electric pump. There are your die hard "originalists" who want to keep stock fittings and mechanical pumps though.
1, The Volumax pump does NOT flow 170 GPH @ 8psi. It flows 170 gph @ zero pressure (free flow). 8 psi is the maximum static pressure. There is no bolt-on-in-the-place-of-the-stock-mechanical pump that will flow as much as our 220 pumps.

2. The Holley Volumax pump is not available for a Cleveland.

3. Our 220 is priced about the same as an electric pump of the same volume output (Malory 250, Magnaflow, BG etc).

4. A mechanical pump is generally easier to mount, lasts longer, and is quieter on street car than an electric pump.

The prices for our pumps are certainly higher than similar pumps for a Chevy or a Windsor. But there is no way we can get our costs down to that level because the volume of sales is so low. We do offer volume discounts. If 50 people want to get together, we will sell 50 pumps at 50% off.

#14 ·
TruBlu351 said:
Nice looking pumps.

Try some of these guys. They are some main frachises or dealers here who would sell a lot of those parts.

http://www.rarespares.net.au/mainind.htm

https://www.americanautos.com.au/secure.html

http://www.performancewholesale.com.au/

http://www.highperformanceworld.com.au/home.html
Thanks! This is the kind of info I was looking for. I have never heard of any of these places even though they may all be familiar to you.

Thanks again.

#15 ·
xyfmtjoe said:
Im fairly sure you can still get the mallory ones! I got mine bout 18mnths ago :hy:
The Mallory/Mr. Gasket/Holley chrome mechanical pump for a Cleveland are all the same pump just packed in different boxes. They free flow about 80 gph and have a nasty tendency to crack at the housing near the flange due to enbrittlement brought about by the chrome plating.

#16 ·
davis said:
You really know how to warm the hearts and minds of Internet shoppers with:

"Taxes and shipping charges will be added to all orders." ...though, as your FAQ seems to indicate, that taxes are added only to Nevada recipients. You may want to clarify that where the previous sentence is used. Something like: "Shipping charges will be added to all orders. Nevada residents add 7% sales tax to net order."

Also, you may want to consider using "guage" instead of "gage" in your narratives concerning fuel pressure gauges. Gage is most often a transitive verb and guage is most often a noun. Though technically correct--in the same manner that "pretty" also means "very" these days--the preferred usage is guage.

I'd probably try contacting Terry Parker. He makes the Funnelweb inlet manifolds. He may be interested. He's going to be talking to people about fuel system-related components anyway when they contact him. It may be a worthwhile collaborative marketing opportunity.

I'd be interested in a 110 fuel pump, but at $200 I think that I'll just have to stay interested. I bought a Carter 23 gph pump that is supplemented by an electric in my 1960 F100 (sitting atop of a '72 Ranchero chassis). My 4V 351C engine only makes about 420 HP.

It would be nice to have a 220 on my Cleveland powered dragster, but I don't have a fuel pump eccentric on the snout of the cam...but, it would be a lot easier to install that way!

:davis:
Ok, you got me on the tax thing. The taxes only apply to parts shipped to a Nevada address. I'll change that.

But the whole gage/gauge thing.........are you an English teacher? :)
What about color vs colour? Is a bonnet a hood or something a lady puts on her head? In Nevada, a boot is something a cowboy wears. :)

English grammer rules, unlike the laws of science and math, change with the times and places. Either spelling of gauge is accepted here.

But I must admit that you made me smile this morning. Thanks.

#17 ·
RobbMc said:
But the whole gage/gauge thing.........are you an English teacher? :)

But I must admit that you made me smile this morning. Thanks.
davis is our resident forum engrish/grammer moderator! :hy: You always have to watch your p's and q's otherwise he'll pounce like an Arizonian Tarantula <grin> ......totally harmless species ;)

#18 ·
I didn't think the price was that bad concidering how much setting up a electric system cost and how much hassle they are .
Also market place volume will keep the cost a little higher and honestly I think with how much market place there is for this product we should be lucky someone is even making one .
Price of the electric fuel pump is just the begining there are a bucket load of other things that are needed to do .

Have you ever thought of selling on the australian ebay

#19 ·
Not to nitpick but I am going to have to side with Davis. I also have a pet peeve for grammar and such and I also realize there are some things used so often, incorrectly, that it becomes accepted as a norm. I am not perfect either but when I run into a questionable word myself I either pull out my dictionary or check online...

"Gage" is defined as....

Something deposited or given as security against an obligation; a pledge.

Something, such as a glove, that is offered or thrown down as a pledge or challenge to fight.

A challenge.

To pledge as security.

To offer as a stake in a bet; wager.

It does not reference an instrument or way to measure anything. The word for that is "gauge". Especially in advertising or authorative script I think correct spelling and grammar are important. I know personally I use it to gauge credibility in a company.

By the way I am American. :hy:

RobbMc, thanks for looking into providing parts for the 351C. I am glad someone is making an effort.

#20 ·
Ohio XB said:
Not to nitpick but I am going to have to side with Davis. I also have a pet peeve for grammar and such and I also realize there are some things used so often, incorrectly, that it becomes accepted as a norm. I am not perfect either but when I run into a questionable word myself I either pull out my dictionary or check online...

"Gage" is defined as....

Something deposited or given as security against an obligation; a pledge.

Something, such as a glove, that is offered or thrown down as a pledge or challenge to fight.

A challenge.

To pledge as security.

To offer as a stake in a bet; wager.

It does not reference an instrument or way to measure anything. The word for that is "gauge". Especially in advertising or authorative script I think correct spelling and grammar are important. I know personally I use it to gauge credibility in a company.

By the way I am American. :hy:

RobbMc, thanks for looking into providing parts for the 351C. I am glad someone is making an effort.

Ok, you guys win. The proper spelling should be "gauge". I wrote everything on our website and I must admit to getting better grades in science and math than I did in English. To me, English is too "unscientific". There are more exceptions to English grammer and spelling than there are rules. However, I admit the spelling should be gauge, not gage.

Still, ain't them some bitchin' pumps? ;)

#21 ·
tony xa said:
I didn't think the price was that bad concidering how much setting up a electric system cost and how much hassle they are .
Also market place volume will keep the cost a little higher and honestly I think with how much market place there is for this product we should be lucky someone is even making one .
Price of the electric fuel pump is just the begining there are a bucket load of other things that are needed to do .

Have you ever thought of selling on the australian ebay
Thanks Tony. People often forget that electric pumps often require extras like relays (and prefilters for gerotor style pumps such as Mallory and the newer design Holley pumps). Plus it's not always easy to find a place to mount the electric pumps and prefilters.

We came up with the design for these pumps because we couldn't find any good mechanical pumps for my AMX, my 442 or my GS455 and I didn't want the hassle and noise of running electric pumps since these are all street driven cars (although I did run a Mallory 140 and return regulator on my pro-street Nova).

Hadn't thought of Australian Ebay. What about shipping? Wouldn't the cost to ship one pump at a time be too expensive? Are there large taxes for imported goods? (as you can see, I've spent my entire career designing parts, not selling and shipping).

#22 ·
I can't see why someone wouldn't want one apart from a few things that would be my biggest concerns.

a) what are the pumps like beyond 7000rpm
b) how much is the load increase on the offset washer that's on the front of the camshaft.

I've marked a few running to 6800rpm, even had the locating pin break on one. That was using a Goss pump. I wouldn't want to damage engine components just so I could run a mech pump.

It's one of the reasons I swapped to electric in the 1st place. The other is I couldn't get a Goss pump to fuel efficiently beyond 5800 after I started making more power.

I gather there is a load increase on the offset washer?

#24 ·
xdclevo said:
There won't be problems there. These guys have tested fully from my readings.
And if it can supply fuel for above 600hp, again i doubt any dramas at all :hy:
It'd be interesting to find out long term effects not just "I tested one for a month". The best testing could be done on a car that drag races ie 100+ passes a year or a circuit car. Real h/duty use. Street use is very easy on parts. I saw exactly that today. Just reco'd timatic failed on the dyno. Flaring big time in top gear. Yet not noticable on the street.

If the offset washer can be damaged with a Goss pump anything is possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.