Need more ampage - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2005, 21:27   #1 (permalink)

Need more ampage

Hey again all,

I've come across another problem that I've been meaning to get you guy's insight on. I went to the AU Twin thermo's and they're working like a dream. However with head lights and tail lights on, the volt guage drops all the way to the bottom of the red.... scary.

I adjusted the idle up slightly but it made stuff all difference, now the guage sites at the other end of the red at idle.

The alternator on the '51 is the standard 55amp one. I did some ringing around and the only place that wanted to help me out was brendale auto electrics. The guy there found a generic Bosch alternator that can fit both holden and fords, and is rated at 120amp(a lil too big for what i was after). Its also priced at $356 EX tax.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to where i might be able to find one rated around the 80-85amp mark. Alternatively, will any of the higher rated Bosch ones for later model falcons fit the XE?

I kinda really need to do something about this as the battery is getting hammered at idle, and is causing stalling problems

Thanks in advance ppls
xemeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2005, 21:50   #2 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

Re: Need more ampage

My son and I have both used this same alternator on our Fords with the twin fans setup and am very happy with it. Mine cost me $400 to supply, then have it wired (after I fitted it). I wanted the wiring done by a pro, because 120 amps can do a lot of damage if not done right.

I researched it quite a lot and found no other alternatives. In fact I ended up browsing the Bosch catalog online and suggested the "for agricultural use only" 120 amp unit to my sparky.
Rhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 22:34   #3 (permalink)

I asked my sparky about that one as well, and he suggested I would be better off with a 95A one because those agg ones are designed for plant which run at constant rpm, so in a car at idle they only charge about 5 or 10 amps and dont make the full 120 untill about 4 or 6 thousand rpm. Where as the 95s come in a lot sooner. Food for thought.
Old 02-13-2005, 22:44   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_esp
I asked my sparky about that one as well, and he suggested I would be better off with a 95A one because those agg ones are designed for plant which run at constant rpm, so in a car at idle they only charge about 5 or 10 amps and dont make the full 120 untill about 4 or 6 thousand rpm. Where as the 95s come in a lot sooner. Food for thought.
This is exactly right. I blew an alternator a few years back and rang my mate who works for Bosch. He steered me away from the 120A job as they only make current at high RPM. They are not good for cars which idle>rev>idle etc.

Ended up with the 85A job, which was perfect. The only issue is the slightly different connector on the newer alternators which requires a mod to your wiring.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 02:04   #5 (permalink)
ZK 351

i put a 120amp one from Castle auto in my car
http://www.castleauto.com.au/alternators.htm

cost $275 to my door, all i had to do was get a spacer made and drill out the pivot holes so the big bolt would fit, and put different connectors on the ends of the old wires, and it works great, always above the red on volt gauge, even at idle, so it cant be that bad having the bigger 120 amper,,, only reason i went for the bigger one was because it was only about $20 odd difference, for an extra 40 amps, so yeah

edit: had also since found a place over in fyshwick that has the same 120amp bosch for $235 (or $240) so i could have just drove over there and got one a bit cheaper, but you get that
Old 02-14-2005, 04:30   #6 (permalink)
Death by Ford

VN commodores use a self regulating 85amp Alternator. I run one in the XB, it had to be spaced out from the head(to clear the self Reg shit on the back) and run on the power steering pulley, the water pump pulley now uses a short tight belt straight down to the crank pulley.
CLEVELAND JUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:53   #7 (permalink)

Possibly look into getting your current alternator rewired (stator and rotor) with more windings to jack up the output.

Look under "rewinding services". May be cheaper than a brand new one and plus all the pieces still fit.

My new 55amp just hangs in there with my AU's, but definitely not the optimal setup.
Old 02-14-2005, 21:38   #8 (permalink)
Slurry Boostin

A little OT, but don't really go off what the gauge says. Put a voltmeter on the car and it will still be ok.

But yes I did the same, wanted to upgrade my alt, so took the 55amp housing with 85 amp internals to our local auto elec. He fitted reverse wound stator?? I think, and it was effectively 110 amp. We also fitted a smaller pulley onto it (off a 202 holden) to brings the alternator revs up at idle.

Worked a treat, until about the 4th time I revved the engine to 6500+rpm. Alternator insides went haywire.

Auto Elec told me that those style alternators should handle around 13,000rpm, but with the gearing I had from crank pulley to very small alt pulley, at 6,500rpms, the alternator would have been doing more like 19,000rpm!!

Bit of food for thought.
VS 215i Senator *For Sale*
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 21:48   #9 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Guy's theres a cheaper and easier option than using drilling and spacing etc. On your new alternator, fit the Ford clevo front half of the casing. I've done that myself. I bought a universal 85amp and just fitted the front of the old Ford alt on. No spacing issues, no drilling etc couldn't have been easier.

Brenden
Old 02-14-2005, 22:27   #10 (permalink)

I bought an 85Amp Bosch alternator from a local outlet that had no mounting issues to the Cleveland, just a different style plug.

I'm sure they are a catalogued item.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech