need roller cam advice for race 351c - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 13:49   #1 (permalink)

need roller cam advice for race 351c

Hello everyone. I'm in need for some cam help. I would like to replace my curent hyd cam with a roller cam. I need more rpm. I want to know witch cam would be better and if there is anything I have to do (oiling)if I switch to solid. Here are the specs of my car

1967 fairlane 2 dr hardtop with all glass for less weight
4.88 spool, 28x10 slicks, and caltrac bars
351cj bored 30 over with flat top pistons
Boss 4v close chamber heads with screw in studs and jamer stud girdles.
Msd ing and torker edl intake 3000-7000 rpm

Keep in mind this is a track car. Any help would be app. Thanks
cjfordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 15:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: need roller cam advice for race 351c

Its 10.5 to 1 compression and 4 speed top loader car. Sorry tried to get all the info
Old 04-13-2012, 21:23   #3 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

There will be others better able to advise on the finer details of the clevo than me but if you got to a solid cam then you will need adjustable rocker studs and rocker seat to suit to set valve clearance but no other oiling changes are needed to do it. There is an oil restrictor kit that can be fitted to the oil system to push more oil into the crank feed for better durability if you are going to rev quite high. Im unsure if anything else is needed to be done in the block area to accomodate the roller lifters but certainly a roller cam and rockers would make for a better unit.
Old 04-13-2012, 22:16   #4 (permalink)

Thanks I have adjustable roller rockers now and screw in 7/16 studswith the jamer stud girdles. I want to run it up to 6500 7000 tops. I don't think that's too hard after reading up on here. The stock cam I have now drops off at 5000 rpm. Great tourque but the motor wants to run.
Old 04-13-2012, 22:58   #5 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Ok i dont think those revs will be too much of a problem. Has the engine been balanced at any stage. That is a big help with more revs for it to rev smoother and hold together longer. If not then maybe an electronic rev limiter may be a help to stop over reving it if you miss a gear or something. With a solid roller cam and rockers and the right grind you may find it revs out pretty good and perhaps past where you should if you have a missed gear.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:46   #6 (permalink)

Yes it has been balanced to what rpm I don't know? Ill find out as soon as I figure out which cam to run :( I heard of the crane f246 but I want a roller. I have a built 428 cj stroker that I could put in my fairlane, but people I talk to say keep the clevland and I know it has potential, its a tourque motor. I just want to unleash that beast and get my numbers down on the track. Thanks for your help
Old 04-14-2012, 17:59   #7 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

The Clevo is a good engine with really good power potential from the head design. Let us know what you find as the info may help others and of course makes interesting reading . Hope it all goes well for you .
Old 04-15-2012, 13:48   #8 (permalink)

Anybody running any good roller cams?
Old 05-08-2012, 05:43   #9 (permalink)

I run a Comp Cams street solid roller, 308R. Its not a very aggressive cam and is easy on valve train, but may leave some power on the table. I just didn't want to wipe anymore lobes with flat tappet cams. Has 662 lift and 262 duration at 50 thou.

In my 3550 pound falcon, i went from 351 cubes and a F246 cam that ran 11.90, to 408 cubes and the 308R and went down to 10.70 over the 1/4 mile. Same AFD 2V heads on both motors.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:50   #10 (permalink)

Nice. What rpm range? Do you know if the parker funnelweb 4v is still avail there? What did you do to get the 408ci. Scat crank? Thanks allan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech